Disappointing attendances

Guest BooBoo

I don't overly agree with the new scheme but I will say this, I watched three games in L7 last year and I noticed a problem every time. The back rows would have way more people in them than they should have had without the rest of the area being any emptier. I can only conclude that people were coming from other parts of the ground to stand in the section. The stewards seemed to have difficulty stopping this or controlling the people in the area. If they brought in this new ticketing procedure to stop this then I'm ok with that although simply improving the stewarding would have been enough.

Mick- the whole disscusion started over people wanting to in in L7 for a better atmosphere. but yeah, I accept there is the option of going in another part of the ground, which is how it is going to turn out. But I would have prefered the option of walking up to L7 and paying on the door like I did last season.

I preferred standing in the Leazes and was gutted when they pulled it down, I still enjoyed going in to the Gallowgate, even if it wasn't quite as good.

Im sure us oldies have been here before- My dad used to take me in the leazes corner next east stand, them fuckers in the middle section then were mental- was that you?

Btw ive just read TT post our average this seaso is 45k.... wtf is dissapointing about that?

We've certainly been there before - but why not harp on about it again - it was an amazing experience which could only be witnessed in some Turkish or S.American stadium nowadays.

It was violent, passionate, crammed, bordering on uncivilised and deafeningly loud but far better than anywhere I've ever stood or sat since.

The "scoreboard" and "corner" which came next in the Gallowgate were decent but didn't even get close to the old Leazes End atmosphere.

Used to stand in the Leazes in the late 60s/early 70s - it was an awesome experience, part brill, part bad.

You never got cold in winter, everyone packed in like sardines. A voyeur's paradise too, all those lasses being pressed up against you when goals were scored...!

Fantastic atmosphere - was there when we beat the Mackems 3-0 in 1970 and feet hardly touched the ground.

Guest neesy111

With regards to the atmosphere, it shows how many fans the club has lost in the last 3-4 years imo.  I know plenty of people who used to go to every game home and away, now they don't even bother going to most home games.

Mick- the whole disscusion started over people wanting to in in L7 for a better atmosphere. but yeah, I accept there is the option of going in another part of the ground, which is how it is going to turn out. But I would have prefered the option of walking up to L7 and paying on the door like I did last season.

I preferred standing in the Leazes and was gutted when they pulled it down, I still enjoyed going in to the Gallowgate, even if it wasn't quite as good.

Im sure us oldies have been here before- My dad used to take me in the leazes corner next east stand, them fuckers in the middle section then were mental- was that you?

Btw ive just read TT post our average this seaso is 45k.... wtf is dissapointing about that?

We've certainly been there before - but why not harp on about it again - it was an amazing experience which could only be witnessed in some Turkish or S.American stadium nowadays.

It was violent, passionate, crammed, bordering on uncivilised and deafeningly loud but far better than anywhere I've ever stood or sat since.

The "scoreboard" and "corner" which came next in the Gallowgate were decent but didn't even get close to the old Leazes End atmosphere.

Used to stand in the Leazes in the late 60s/early 70s - it was an awesome experience, part brill, part bad.

You never got cold in winter, everyone packed in like sardines. A voyeur's paradise too, all those lasses being pressed up against you when goals were scored...!

Fantastic atmosphere - was there when we beat the Mackems 3-0 in 1970 and feet hardly touched the ground.

Same era for me.

You're right about the "part bad" bit though - too easy to get over romantic about it - some of the stuff that went on in there was appalling - though at the time seemed pretty normal.

I don't overly agree with the new scheme but I will say this, I watched three games in L7 last year and I noticed a problem every time. The back rows would have way more people in them than they should have had without the rest of the area being any emptier. I can only conclude that people were coming from other parts of the ground to stand in the section. The stewards seemed to have difficulty stopping this or controlling the people in the area. If they brought in this new ticketing procedure to stop this then I'm ok with that although simply improving the stewarding would have been enough.

That could be the explanation. Those who issue safety/fire certificates etc. do have the final say.

Imagine in the 1960's and early 70's the board saying fans could only stand in the Leazes End if they bought up a membership in advance or them introducing the scheme for the Gallowgate Corner and Scoreboard sections in the 1980's/early 90's. There would have been uproar and rightly so and it wouldn't have been allowed to happen. Sadly nowadays we have too many spineless people following the club who just go along with whatever they are told and is one of the reasons SJP is missing that spark that it had yesteryear and sadly I think that's gone for good now. I'm not just referring to NUFC here but football fans in general these days. I'm just glad i'm old enough to have witnessed the better times when I could stand shoulder to shoulder with proper people who certainly wouldn't be pushed around.

The difference here is the chasm that exists between the hardcore fans that dig deep financially to support the side in good and bad times and those with a passing interest in the club.

I understand if people don't have money but having the money and choosing not to bother when it's not a major hassle to go is a mentality that I struggle to get my head round. You either support the club or you don't.

I think that is a ridiculous statement like - how much you support your football club isn't about far into your pockets you dig.

Guest Roger Kint

Imagine in the 1960's and early 70's the board saying fans could only stand in the Leazes End if they bought up a membership in advance or them introducing the scheme for the Gallowgate Corner and Scoreboard sections in the 1980's/early 90's. There would have been uproar and rightly so and it wouldn't have been allowed to happen. Sadly nowadays we have too many spineless people following the club who just go along with whatever they are told and is one of the reasons SJP is missing that spark that it had yesteryear and sadly I think that's gone for good now. I'm not just referring to NUFC here but football fans in general these days. I'm just glad i'm old enough to have witnessed the better times when I could stand shoulder to shoulder with proper people who certainly wouldn't be pushed around.

Jesus Christ its a free(nay better than free) card that takes no effort to get. Get over your self man, all this nostalgic bullshit over nowt! Making out you are better than those currently attending because you are too daft to accept it would benefit you?

Hall- perhaps it's not the sole gauge but I know plenty folk who may not have brilliantly paid jobs, but make sacrifices elsewhere to go and support the team. If people make the decision not to do that then that's entirely their decision but don't tell me they are brilliant supporters.

Jesus Christ its a free(nay better than free) card that takes no effort to get. Get over your self man, all this nostalgic bullshit over nowt! Making out you are better than those currently attending because you are too daft to accept it would benefit you?

In reality it's clear that it's actually you who needs to get over yourself. I'm not saying i'm better or worse than anyone else and if people want to buy up this membership that's up to them although evidently not many people have bothered.  I don't want to become a 12th man member and that's my decision. Just get over it. It's no big deal. I'm happy to watch the games on the foreign channels instead.

The difference here is the chasm that exists between the hardcore fans that dig deep financially to support the side in good and bad times and those with a passing interest in the club.

I understand if people don't have money but having the money and choosing not to bother when it's not a major hassle to go is a mentality that I struggle to get my head round. You either support the club or you don't.

I think that is a ridiculous statement like - how much you support your football club isn't about far into your pockets you dig.

I see Otters point.

I agree, I went from 'hardore' supporter to a fan. I still love nufc, but I no longer go without to attend football matches.

I see Otters point.

I agree, I went from 'hardore' supporter to a fan. I still love nufc, but I no longer go without to attend football matches.

Snap!

Without intending to he is right though. I think there's a fairly big section of fans at SJP that only go because it's the done thing, not because of any real deep rooted love for the club. In some ways it's like a weird fashion accessory.

Would you lads say you now only had 'a passing interest' in NUFC just because you goto less games?

no, i love nufc as much as i did.... just in a different kind of way.... im still gutted when we lose, bouncin when we win... i just dont do the social aspect of it, gettin pissed up on the away bus, not rememberin the game cos i was too pissed etc, watchin it in the ground..... i watch on tv, laptop or listen to the radio.... still go a to a couple of aways / cup games, or home games when i get my brothers / sisters / mams / dads ticket

Guest Roger Kint

In reality it's clear that it's actually you who needs to get over yourself. I'm not saying i'm better or worse than anyone else and if people want to buy up this membership that's up to them although evidently not many people have bothered.  I don't want to become a 12th man member and that's my decision. Just get over it. It's no big deal. I'm happy to watch the games on the foreign channels instead.

Calling other fans 'spineless' and suggest they arent 'proper fans' says you do think you are better. I dont need to get over myself mate i am not the one inventing issues where there are none.

Calling other fans 'spineless' and suggest they arent 'proper fans' says you do think you are better. I dont need to get over myself mate i am not the one inventing issues where there are none.

Where have I suggested anyone isn't a proper fan? All i said was that our support of years ago (of which i'm presuming you weren't part of because of your age) wouldn't have put up with all this rubbish of only being allowed in certain parts of the ground unless you buy up a membership in advance or having the name of our stadium changed to Sports Direct.com@St James' Park or whatever he's decided to call it at the minute.

Open your eyes and take a look for gods sake. People don't want to be forced into buying a membership just so they can go into a certain part of the ground, that's why that part of the stadium is empty this season, and for you to say it's cheaper to do that is a total load of tosh. For example I have 4 friends from Arbroath who like to come down to watch Newcastle 2 or 3 times a season and for the past couple of seasons they were able to join me in Leazes Corner to watch the match and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere up there. It isn't cheaper for them to buy a membership is it?

PS. You're not Derek Llambias in disguise are you?

Guest neesy111

TV Money should be used to decrease ticket prices, as the more people in stadiums should create better atmospheres for the games on TV.  Sky are not going to be bothered too much by 10,000 people that are not watching on sky.

I think it mainly comes down to price to be honest, I think we could get 50,000 most weeks if it was £20 a ticket, and £10 for bairns.  I wonder if the club are going to put up prices further with the VAT increase from next January.

Hall- perhaps it's not the sole gauge but I know plenty folk who may not have brilliantly paid jobs, but make sacrifices elsewhere to go and support the team. If people make the decision not to do that then that's entirely their decision but don't tell me they are brilliant supporters.

That is such a pompous statement. And you know what the sad thing is? You don't even realise it.

Football can be enjoyed with mates at the pub and on the television screen at home as well as it can be in the stadium - some days, I look at the weather outside, think of the traffic and my early start the next day, and decide I don't want to go to the match, despite the fact I could probably afford to - but you've no right to say I'm not a brilliant supporter.

This club means a hell of a lot to me. When NUFC is on a up I feel the buzz, when NUFC crashes to the floor then so do I - but nah, the place means f*** all to me because I'm not in the stands every week, despite the fact that be it online, on radio, on television or occaisonally in person, I've followed every single Newcastle United game, both friendly and competitive, since I started interest in football in early 2003.

I'm exactly the kind of fan you describe, yet you're in no fucking position to question how much I support the club, none at all.

If you dont want to go to the match because its too cold or raining or because its busy getting out of town then fair enough. I just dont consider that particularly supporting the club.

Your impassioned response indicates i've obviously hit a nerve. You support the team in your way, I'll support it in mine.

If you dont want to go to the match because its too cold or raining or because its busy getting out of town then fair enough. I just dont consider that particularly supporting the club.

Your impassioned response indicates i've obviously hit a nerve. You support the team in your way, I'll support it in mine.

What do you expect? You're saying those who can afford to go but choose not to go to the match all the time (i.e people like me) are not brilliant supporters - I'm not exactly going to nod in agreement am I :lol: