Disappointing attendances

Guest BooBoo

Guest Roger Kint

What I don't get is people saying they won't go to the match cos you need to be a season ticket holder or a member to get to L7. Why not just buy a membership, which saves £5 on tickets if you go to 5 games, and buy tickets in L7?

:lol:

Exactly its the stupidest excuse i have ever heard for not going to a game. If the L7 is so important then its a bargain to get one, these wankers running our club give them the cheapest tickets then give them a further discount and get complaints still.

My 3 year ticket in the Gallowgate runs out this year and i honestly have no idea if i can afford another when the huge price hike kicks in, i may have to give it up. I hope this L7 bargain continues into the next year as i have no problem saving money if it means i can watch us live every week.

Why should I, and many more like me who have taken the stance of not attending buy a membership just so we can go in a certain part of the ground? I've been attending matches at St James' since the early 1980's and have spent a large proportion of that time as a season ticket holder until 2008 and in all that time I have never known the club come to such a ridiculous decision as to only allow certain people into certain parts of the ground. Have they ever given a reason for it?  Well me, and a couple of thousand others apparently have stuck 2 fingers up at them and won't go back and I have to be honest and say so far I haven't missed it as i've seen every match on TV (and the atmosphere has certainly sounded poorer for having a Leazes Corner about one third full) and also have a bit more cash in my pocket.

As a side issue I believe people who signed up for these membership packs at the start of the season still haven't recieved them yet which just about sums things up. The worrying thing for the club is that people who have stopped going will get out of the habit and even if they relax the rules might struggle to get the fans back.

They dont only allow certain people in for gods sake, its a NUFC membership card not the fucking masons, if thats a reason to not go then more fool you imo.

I'd much rather go to the match than watch it on TV

I think the vast majority would. But when the choice is £25 on a match ticket or feeding the kids/pay a bill it then becomes no choice at all.

Dead right mate, going to the match wins every time.

Seriously, someone on here carries a signature quoting Henry Winter about how on the Geordie check list of things to do, going to the match is up there with breathing.

He needs a rethink.

It seems nowadays it doesn't even rate as highly as a mobile top up, a few bottles of imported lager or a pizza on Dean Street to many.

I took out the 3 year deal (3 years ago) and I can honestly say I hope they offer it again because I would take it up, I like paying monthly for my ticket, it takes the big lump of cash required to renew a few weeks after the season finishes away!

Regardless what they do or offer I still will be renewing in the East Stand, not because I feel like an elite but, because I like going to the match.  It is something I look forward to - this season feels strange, we have only had three home games so far, this time last year I bet I had been to eight.... 

I will say, though, if that excitement or anticipation of going to the game ever stops I will seriously consider giving my ticket up but, I am mid forties now and still get all the same feelings I used to get when I went to the match as a lad, from standing in the Gallowgate Corner, singing my heart out, to standing in the Milburn Paddock when they started to put seats in the ground right up to getting my ticket where I am now - I love it and personally I think anyone who doesn't go because they feel like they are punishing Ashley or in some other sort of protest really are only punishing themselves.

I truly feel for those who genuinely can't afford it.

You're from a generation when going to the match was almost a duty not an option, it was also the catalyst which kept groups of mates together and a prelude to a night on the piss. Sky TV and live streams weren't an option.

I would ask who "genuinely can't afford it" ?  A game every two weeks or so ?

OK some people may be saving for something, struggling with a mortgage etc and see a fortnightly £25 making a difference, but to most it's merely a question of priorities - they prefer doing something else with their money and they're perfectly entitled to do so.

It's a bit like when politicians harp on about poverty in the UK - 70% of people on the planet live in poverty - none of them are UK citizens.

I think it's often a matter of priorities. In times where we're not setting the world alight some of the fairweathers would rather an xbox game or new shirt as opposed to a match ticket.

The fact is people are not stupid. Why would you fork out £25 minimum to see a match that is on TV, especially when you consider the public sector job losses and unertain economic conditions that are coming in the next few months.

Football is fast becoming something that is a once in a while treat rather than a weekly event. This is not just a problem for Newcastle but for virtually every other football club in this country.

If we offered tickets that people could get for say £10 minimum then SJP would be sold out every week but that is obviously not in the interest of those who control the purse strings.

Offering cheap tickets to fill the ground would severly piss off season ticket holders who have shelled out top money for their seat and also people who have spot bought a ticket for the same game at a higher price, that type of offer cannot be randomly brought in mid season, it would have to be a strategy that was adopted from the very start of a given season.

You know how you feel when you buy something major from, say, Curry's and a week later they discount the same thing to £50 less than you paid (not a random example if I am honest, still fuming with the cunts!)

I love it when the ground is full and the atmosphere is electric, sadly days like that are rare and will continue to be so for a long time as far as I can see.  As others have said though, it isn't just Newcastle, it is every club.  Even Man Utd have tickets for sale for all of their home games and no club has given their fans more success in recent years than them.

Offering cheap tickets to fill the ground would severly piss off season ticket holders who have shelled out top money for their seat and also people who have spot bought a ticket for the same game at a higher price, that type of offer cannot be randomly brought in mid season, it would have to be a strategy that was adopted from the very start of a given season.

You know how you feel when you buy something major from, say, Curry's and a week later they discount the same thing to £50 less than you paid (not a random example if I am honest, still fuming with the cunts!)

I love it when the ground is full and the atmosphere is electric, sadly days like that are rare and will continue to be so for a long time as far as I can see.  As others have said though, it isn't just Newcastle, it is every club.  Even Man Utd have tickets for sale for all of their home games and no club has given their fans more success in recent years than them.

That is sort of the point. It's not just random match tickets that needs to be cheaper, it is everything. Season tickets and all match tickets should be cheaper.

There also should be major discounts for cup matches (especially League Cup).

You know how you feel when you buy something major from, say, Curry's and a week later they discount the same thing to £50 less than you paid (not a random example if I am honest, still fuming with the c***s!)

Stoke was probably the extreme because of many afore mentioned reasons.

Crowds of circa 45K for Wigan and Arsenal (both of whom will only bring a few hundred) and 50K plus for the mackums will paint a truer picture.

Bottom line is crowds are falling throughout British football and the marketing people will have to think again if they want full stadiums.

Bundesliga type €15 tickets could be an answer but maybe not THE answer ?

We've been fortunate enough to have good attendances despite the football being very s**** at times. Now people need to watch their money, football is the first thing to go. Paying £30 for football now just isn't viable for some, no matter how good or bad the football is.

Same for me too i just cannot afford it atm but next season halfers with a mate i hope.

I think the vast majority would. But when the choice is £25 on a match ticket or feeding the kids/pay a bill it then becomes no choice at all.

Exactly right.

Exactly right.

Exactly, let the little buggers go hungry.

I wouldnt say things were that tight tbh. but with three kids tapping my wallet, then choices have to be considered. so matches are down to a hadful a season. Ad I want the chance of deciding and paying on the day thanks.

I'm the same, but not quite going hungry/kids going hungry. It's just not worth the £25 extra to goto a game that I can watch on TV on the Sky subscription I already pay for. I may feel differently if we were a little less.. erm.. shit, but it just feels like I'm burning £25 for no reason.

Will probably renew next season after the 3 yrs, if i don't do it lose the loyalty points? or if i had a year out then got back into it would the points still be there?

You would lose the loyalty points. I was on 107 points when I gave my season ticket up back in 2008 and I know that in 2005 I was in the top 500 season ticket holders for loyalty points after I had a bit of a carry on with the ticket office when they wrongly refused me a ticket for Heerenveen away (fair play as they sorted it in the end) but for the last couple of years I found that the fear of losing my points was bigger than the fear of not getting to every match and that was why I was renewing when in reality I had far more important financial commitments that should have taken priority.

In 2008 I finally decided not to renew my season ticket after 17 years and went to a pay as you go type supporter which I was quite enjoying until the club decided to make leazes Corner 12th man membership only. Seriously you would think that in this day and age with crowds around the country on the decline they would be making it easier for people to gain access to matches, not more difficult. Sign of modern day football I suppose though which is sad.