Pies

magpie418

I was in Melbourne, Australia over the weekend where the big AFL game between Collingwood & St Kilda was taking place, Collingwood are known as the Magpies and play in black & white stripes (they were formed in 1892) and have a pretty fanatical following, so it was rather surreal to be walking down the street and seeing all these black and white hats, scarfs and tops (their strip is just like ours from a distance). The one thing that did confuse me was that they call themselves the Pies, I was hearing shouts of Pies! all day… I was talking to some bloke and told him about us and said we were the Mags and he looked kind of puzzled and said what? I said i'd never thought of calling us the Pies, it just didn't seem right, we're the Mighty Mags! to which he started shouting Go Pies! at some other black and white stripped fans…

I'm actually going to be watching the re-play this weekend in Newcastle, Australia. (in an area called Wickham)

It's a funny old world.

(i'm a little surprised that the Pies name hasn't been used against us for obvious reasons...)

A little OT, but one of my cousins just signed for Collingwood. Martin Clarke played for them too and has since returned home and spear headed his (and my) county, Down (see avatar) to the All Ireland football final this year! Pretty strong connection between Down and Collingwood at the moment.

I was in Melbourne, Australia over the weekend where the big AFL game between Collingwood & St Kilda was taking place, Collingwood are known as the Magpies and play in black & white stripes (they were formed in 1892) and have a pretty fanatical following, so it was rather surreal to be walking down the street and seeing all these black and white hats, scarfs and tops (their strip is just like ours from a distance). The one thing that did confuse me was that they call themselves the Pies, I was hearing shouts of Pies! all day… I was talking to some bloke and told him about us and said we were the Mags and he looked kind of puzzled and said what? I said i'd never thought of calling us the Pies, it just didn't seem right, we're the Mighty Mags! to which he started shouting Go Pies! at some other black and white stripped fans…

I'm actually going to be watching the re-play this weekend in Newcastle, Australia. (in an area called Wickham)

It's a funny old world.

(i'm a little surprised that the Pies name hasn't been used against us for obvious reasons...)

I'm living in Perth (been here nearly 2 ears)and watched the match as well, it's alright to watch is Aussie rules once you understand it, it was a good match too.

Aussies shorten every word you can, only they normally put o on the end, whereas we normally put y or ie on the end. In this case they've gone with Pie instead of mags.

Although the 'Pies' have a lot of things in common with us, they are more like Manure in the fact that either you support them or hate them. I think about 90% of Oz was wanting a St Kilda win last weekend. Should be another good match this weekend as they've turned over extra tickets to the fans - 40,000 to each club instead of the 25,000 they both received for the first match.

Funny place this as well, Western Australia is very AFL, 'soccer' orientated, SA is AFL, Victoria is VERY AFL, then NSW is rugby league and a bit of union and AFL and Queensland is very league union dominated.

Absolutely obsessed with sport though and will compete over anything.

I found Newcastle, Australia to be a fairly horrible place.

Went to watch Essendon v Hawthorn when I was in Melbourne (last game of last season), pretty good, 80,000+ in the MCG. T'riffic place to watch sport.

In a bar the other night, a German friend of mine, an old and slightly crazy character, began rattling on at me about "the pies". I hadn't a fucking clue what he was talking about at first, but then I realized he was shortening "magpies" and trying to talk about the Toon. Had to explain to him that a magpie was an Elster, not a Pastete.

Newcastle in Australia is also very reliant on the coal industry. Not only that but it has other places around it named like our small towns, for example Jesmond, Gosforth, and Tynemouth for some reason also comes to mind, not sure on the last one though.

A little OT, but one of my cousins just signed for Collingwood. Martin Clarke played for them too and has since returned home and spear headed his (and my) county, Down (see avatar) to the All Ireland football final this year! Pretty strong connection between Down and Collingwood at the moment.

Big connection between our football and Aussie Rules in general to be honest

• 7 months later...

It's a funny old world.

How did I not see this thread before?

What a fucking amazing game that was, and the replay the following week was even better! I was emotionally fucked after the draw, but to smash St Kilda the way we did in the replay was simply magic.

Carn the pies!

Oh yeah, and I found my experience in Newcastle last year similarly surreal with the black and white stripes everywhere.

Guest toonlass

The ones at SJP are far too hot.

The lad behind me got one at half time on saturday, took the pastry lid off it and the steam that came out was unbelievable. The people in the lower leazes could probably feel the heat coming off it. How the heck do they heat them up to molten lava temperature?