A Big Week For SKY / Pub Football.

Crumpy Gunt

She won't win, the simple reason, because if she does it goes beyond just pubs paying over the odds, and beyond just football. It would mean that anyone in Europe could get a subscription from anyone else in Europe, for football and other means. That would mean that I could possibly watch other TV programmes on my TV before it is on UK TV, and also that I could watch 3pm KO games aswell.

It would be great if that could happen, but it would need the FA to sort something out in ticket prices so people still go to games, and a reduction in ticket prices would mean a reduction in wages, which means less players coming to our leagues, which could result in less quality football.

For about £300 plus £120pa you can buy the system that pubs use. Are they going to say that this equiptment is illegal when it can be purchased legally in the rest of the EU? Could plod knock on your front door and arrest you?

I'd imagine it'll be 'not illegal to buy, but illegal to use...depending on what you're using it for'.

As clear as mud, and completely impossible to enforce.

She won't win, the simple reason, because if she does it goes beyond just pubs paying over the odds, and beyond just football. It would mean that anyone in Europe could get a subscription from anyone else in Europe, for football and other means. That would mean that I could possibly watch other TV programmes on my TV before it is on UK TV, and also that I could watch 3pm KO games aswell.

It would be great if that could happen, but it would need the FA to sort something out in ticket prices so people still go to games, and a reduction in ticket prices would mean a reduction in wages, which means less players coming to our leagues, which could result in less quality football.

For about £300 plus £120pa you can buy the system that pubs use. Are they going to say that this equiptment is illegal when it can be purchased legally in the rest of the EU? Could plod knock on your front door and arrest you?

Thats my point, if she wins then it doesn't stop at just pubs taking advantage of this.

I see her point 100% but the knock on effect could see the end of collective bargaining for PL UK TV rights which is a key strengths of the PL league imo.  It would be disaster for many clubs if the had to get there own TV deal not for SKY as they have the budget to cherry pick the clubs they would want.

Nah, f*** that, is football really just about money to you? Hope those Sky c***s get everything coming to them. Their money has effectively helped to ruin the English game unless you enjoy wanking over the top 4, s*** atmospheres and overplayed arsehole players.

It is in this thread. Sky would be effected in the short term but long term it could turn out better for them because atm they buy 4 of the 5 packages UK packages but if they have no value then the the PL have nothing to sell as a collective, so the clubs would look for there own UK deals to make up for the loss. Those clubs you hate would then have more TV money while the clubs lower down the PL ladder would find things tough.

Didn't Celtic and Rangers not try to monopolise the TV money in Scotland about 10/15 years ago. When they vetoed the vote that gave all clubs an equal share the rest of the league withdrw their membership thus leaving Celtic and Rangers no opponents to play. They got their wish over the big boys.

They may have done as the OF try it on every other season with regards to the TV deal they have & what they bring to the table. The TV deal I remember going alone was the England Rugby Team with SKY (deal was about £90 million for home games for the next 5 years in 1997) which was mental as apart from friendlies they were in the 5 nations & so some years would of  only had 2 competitive home games. The Taffs, Paddies & Jocks were pissed off as they got a collective deal off the beeb for few million. IIRC the deal never lasted the 5 years.

I would imagine there are about 6 clubs who maybe fancy going solo but in the PL it needs 2/3rds to change the rules.

Thats my point, if she wins then it doesn't stop at just pubs taking advantage of this.

it will come. with the technology being more readily available and getting cheaper the only way the legit providers will be able to compete is by lowering the price.

would it be such a bad thing for a lot of money to leave football ? is the experience better now than it was when we were standing on terraces in the 80's ? players will still go to the highest bidder but wont' be on £50k per week is that a bad thing ? the only down point is maybe the tv companies wont have a desire or need to cover EVERY game.

Erm. A company signs a deal with a sports consortium for visual rights to their games.

Someone broadcasts the same games via a different, cheaper, means essentially breaking the law.

How has it got this far? She's fucked, will be fucked, and rightly so.

Gotta say I've never, ever understood how Sky are allowed to own what is essentially a monopoly in the market.

Rather than selling packages of games to one broadcaster, why don't we just allow anybody show the games? Let anybody buy and show every Premier League game and subsequently compete on the price and quality of the programming.

Surely that would be better for the fans?

Horrible misery that he is oldtype said it well for me once: what the fuck are they doing not selling games for 20 quid over the internet? I'd pay it to watch the toon in a heartbeat and so would millions of others.

Same closed-minded shit from the English game I suppose.

Gotta say I've never, ever understood how Sky are allowed to own what is essentially a monopoly in the market.

Rather than selling packages of games to one broadcaster, why don't we just allow anybody show the games? Let anybody buy and show every Premier League game and subsequently compete on the price and quality of the programming.

Sky don't own anything. The PL own the rights to their games and it's up to them who the sell the rights to.  Just so happens Sky have always, and probably will always, bid the biggest amount of money up front. The alternative for the league is to head into the unknown and try to break up the service and increase the bidders.

Tbf I'd sell to sky too.

Sky don't own anything. The PL own the rights to their games and it's up to them who the sell the rights to.  Just so happens Sky have always, and probably will always, bid the biggest amount of money up front. The alternative for the league is to head into the unknown and try to break up the service and increase the bidders.

Tbf I'd sell to sky too.

Aye I know that, I just think it's wrong. They were collered a few years ago and made to sell a third of the EPL rights to somebody else, and Setanta won the auction for it. Obviously it wasn't sustainable in the longterm for them and I think ESPN has their share now.

I just think the whole thing is backward, how come countries like Germany are able to show every English Premier League game yet we're getting rationed a fraction of the live games and being exploited by a monopoly in the process?

Erm. A company signs a deal with a sports consortium for visual rights to their games.

Someone broadcasts the same games via a different, cheaper, means essentially breaking the law.

How has it got this far? She's f***ed, will be f***ed, and rightly so.

EU law says there must be free trade across the EU.  The games she is broadcasting have also been bought from the premier league, why should they not be allowed to sell their product anywhere in the EU?

The premiership saying that is not allowed restricts the free trade in the EU.

That's her point and it is a good one.

If the Germans can show our games it's 'cause they paid for the rights.

I'm as horribly left as they come but we live in a capitalist society and football is whoring itself like any other sport would to make money for it's owners.

Get with the programme.

EU law says there must be free trade across the EU.  The games she is broadcasting have also been bought from the premier league, why should they not be allowed to sell their product anywhere in the EU?

I'd imagine it comes down to redistribution clauses. If the Greeks or whoever have no redistribution clauses in their contracts then fair enough.  If they do then she's fucked. If she broadcasts Arab shit she's probably fucked.

The law is the law man.

I'd imagine it comes down to redistribution clauses. If the Greeks or whoever have no redistribution clauses in their contracts then fair enough.  If they do then she's f***ed. If she broadcasts Arab s*** she's probably f***ed.

The law is the law man.

Its the clauses that she is claiming are breaking the free trade laws.  The premier league do not write the law.

I'd imagine it comes down to redistribution clauses. If the Greeks or whoever have no redistribution clauses in their contracts then fair enough.  If they do then she's f***ed. If she broadcasts Arab s*** she's probably f***ed.

The law is the law man.

Its the clauses that she is claiming are breaking the free trade laws.  The premier league do not write the law.

So back to the start, she's fucked then. Whoever has the money writes the law.

More competition, less profits.

If the Premier League wants the money they're getting, then they're going to have to make sure that whoever bids for the rights generates enough profits to be able to pay the rights fee. If this woman wins, then money going into the game would dramatically decrease because Sky won't be able to pay the fee they're paying now. That's a good thing for the customers in the short run, imo, but in the long run the PL will suffer, hence the 'quality will suffer' argument having some validity.

The law is the law man.

So back to the start, she's f***ed then. Whoever has the money writes the law.

Yep back to the start, you are talking rubbish.

If the Premier League wants the money they're getting, then they're going to have to make sure that whoever bids for the rights generates enough profits to be able to pay the rights fee. If this woman wins, then money going into the game would dramatically decrease because Sky won't be able to pay the fee they're paying now. That's a good thing for the customers in the short run, imo, but in the long run the PL will suffer, hence the 'quality will suffer' argument having some validity.

I don't know. Image that you had 4 different sources of premiership rights holders to choose from.  Sky in the UK, one in Germany, France and Italy.  All who paid for the same rights as sky did.  Who you go with is up to you. 

I can see Sky paying less as they won't have a monopoly, but the other countries broadcasters would have access to the rest of Europe and would therefore pay more.  Sky could also broadcast their own channels abroad also.

Would it be good to reduce Sky's dominance though? I kind of like the fact sky has 90% of the rights as they do it properly and I don't mind paying the subs.  Its the whole Setanta/ESPN thing that does my nut in.

I don't know. Image that you had 4 different sources of premiership rights holders to choose from.  Sky in the UK, one in Germany, France and Italy.  All who paid for the same rights as sky did.  Who you go with is up to you. 

I can see Sky paying less as they won't have a monopoly, but the other countries broadcasters would have access to the rest of Europe and would therefore pay more.  Sky could also broadcast their own channels abroad also.

Would it be good to reduce Sky's dominance though? I kind of like the fact sky has 90% of the rights as they do it properly and I don't mind paying the subs.  Its the whole Setanta/ESPN thing that does my nut in.

As long as they show the match, I don't care to be honest.  For avid followers of specific clubs (rather than those who just like watching the odd bit of football and weigh up if they want to see Super Sunday, the rugby or just put Top Gear on iPlayer), I imagine the ideal environment would be at the game, with no commentator, no analysis, no replays, no computer graphics - and I think they'd rather watch their own team play Bolton in a meaningless midtable game on dodgy pub telly with Estonian commentary than watch the Sky Super Mega Sunday Chelsea-Arsenal clash in 3D with 'expert' opinion and the technological bells and whistles.

Guest HGB1892

I have an idea regarding tv that might work in the form of an away season ticket. You pay £190 per season to see all of your teams away games live on the box irrespective of kick off time. This should ensure the home gates don't drop and would hopefully discourage robbing bastards charging ridiculous amounts for away games. I mean i dislike the mackems but charging them £42 for a game is scandalous.

As long as they show the match, I don't care to be honest.  For avid followers of specific clubs (rather than those who just like watching the odd bit of football and weigh up if they want to see Super Sunday, the rugby or just put Top Gear on iPlayer), I imagine the ideal environment would be at the game, with no commentator, no analysis, no replays, no computer graphics - and I think they'd rather watch their own team play Bolton in a meaningless midtable game on dodgy pub telly with Estonian commentary than watch the Sky Super Mega Sunday Chelsea-Arsenal clash in 3D with 'expert' opinion and the technological bells and whistles.

Even if it meant needing to have 2 or 3 subs to be able to do so?  The premier league and Sky will not let the dodgy estonian thing happen no matter what verdict comes of this case.  I would imagine the Premier league will change its rights structures to fit what it wants to happen.  The upshot of that may mean more choice for us from who we subscribe to but probably not the chance to see the same team on TV each week.

Until a team season ticket comes out I doubt there will ever be the ideal scenario.

pubs do it all over the place. my local just got a new box and its pretty decent. I desperatly hopes she wins, it would be a giant leap towards fixing the mess of money in football, but I doubt she will.