A Big Week For SKY / Pub Football.

Crumpy Gunt

She's got a point about Sky having a monopoly - I'm slightly surprised it has been allowed to happen TBH.

Problem is that spreading football rights around different broadcasters might be even worse for consumers, as they will have to buy more than one subscription TV package to watch all the games. This is already a problem with Setanta/ESPN.

Obviously if the Premier League could provide a good range of games to fans at a reasonable price it wouldn't have so many problems with illegal TV or internet viewing. This is what it really should be looking to sort out.

Europe could rule that a % of games must be shown on the terrestrial channels.

BBC, ITV, Ch4 and Ch5.

Would it really matter that much though? Unless the percentage was huge, you would still need Sky Sports to make sure you got a decent amount of games you actually wanted to watch.

It's a tough one to answer, I'd like to see some sort of pay as you go system, comparable to going to the match, where you pay £8 a match or something, but you have every single game to choose from. Obviously a radically different model.

Problem is that football is the only thing at actually makes Sky TV worth having for a large section of their customers, the rest of their content is either bollocks or available more cheaply elsewhere.

The NFL Gamepass online streaming thing is pretty immense. Here's what you get, but I changed NFL to PREMIERSHIP. Just IMAGINE....

Must-See PREMIERSHIP Game Pass Features

* Every Regular Season PREMIERSHIP Game* - Live or On-Demand

* HD-Quality video with DVR controls

* Home and away team radio broadcasts*

* Never miss a score on Sundays with PREMIERSHIP 18-Yard Box

* 24-hour access to live PREMIERSHIP Network programming*

* Picture-in-picture and multi-game views [up to 4 games on one screen]

* Jump to key moments with Big Play Markers

Season Subscription

Get unlimited access to all 2010 PREMIERSHIP preseason and regular season games, and PREMIERSHIP Network 24x7*. Watch over 300 games all season long.

£190 GBP

Follow Your Team Subscription

Follow your favourite team each week throughout the season.

£160 GBP

Bingo, job done.

Any idea how it has affected game attendances, if at all?

In the NFL they have TV blackouts, so basically if games don't sell out, they don't get shown on TV. We couldn't have anything quite that severe here, but I'm sure something similar could be introduced.

I see her point 100% but the knock on effect could see the end of collective bargaining for PL UK TV rights which is a key strengths of the PL league imo.  It would be disaster for many clubs if the had to get there own TV deal not for SKY as they have the budget to cherry pick the clubs they would want.

If I was SKY I would aim to show that Ms Murphy is not someone wanting to save a few quid but is someone who wants to show games that are broadcast between 3pm to 5pm on Saturday.

RedZone channel is not available in the U.K. for some reason.

Anyway, that deal above is for foreigners, not for people in the States. I don't really know a grand deal about US TV coverage of NFL games. Generally if you live near the team, the game will be on TV in your area is my understanding.

She won't win, the simple reason, because if she does it goes beyond just pubs paying over the odds, and beyond just football. It would mean that anyone in Europe could get a subscription from anyone else in Europe, for football and other means. That would mean that I could possibly watch other TV programmes on my TV before it is on UK TV, and also that I could watch 3pm KO games aswell.

It would be great if that could happen, but it would need the FA to sort something out in ticket prices so people still go to games, and a reduction in ticket prices would mean a reduction in wages, which means less players coming to our leagues, which could result in less quality football.

The Premier League says this fight to protect its interests is about maintaining standards:

"Without this protection it is the consumer, or fans as we prefer, that ultimately suffer as the investment in quality content will inevitably be diminished

I have to say, I've never sat watching a toon match on a pub's dodgy Greek satellite and thought "I'm really not enjoying this game, what it needs is some over paid cunt like Andy Gray to explain everything to me with his expensive etch-a-sketch and stupid fucking pen."

If it's about quality. surely then Sky have nothing to worry about, they're sure they have the best quality product and people will pay for it, let the free market prove it, no?  Isn't that what Murdoch bangs on about when he attacks the BBC?

I see her point 100% but the knock on effect could see the end of collective bargaining for PL UK TV rights which is a key strengths of the PL league imo.  It would be disaster for many clubs if the had to get there own TV deal not for SKY as they have the budget to cherry pick the clubs they would want.

Nah, fuck that, is football really just about money to you? Hope those Sky cunts get everything coming to them. Their money has effectively helped to ruin the English game unless you enjoy wanking over the top 4, shit atmospheres and overplayed arsehole players.

This would only help the big clubs really. Sky would no longer pump money in, but the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc. is still a global brand so would still have a large income from elsewhere, whereas the rest of the Premier League would fall even further and further behind.

Nah, f*** that, is football really just about money to you? Hope those Sky c***s get everything coming to them. Their money has effectively helped to ruin the English game unless you enjoy wanking over the top 4, s*** atmospheres and overplayed arsehole players.

It is in this thread. Sky would be effected in the short term but long term it could turn out better for them because atm they buy 4 of the 5 packages UK packages but if they have no value then the the PL have nothing to sell as a collective, so the clubs would look for there own UK deals to make up for the loss. Those clubs you hate would then have more TV money while the clubs lower down the PL ladder would find things tough.

She won't win, the simple reason, because if she does it goes beyond just pubs paying over the odds, and beyond just football. It would mean that anyone in Europe could get a subscription from anyone else in Europe, for football and other means. That would mean that I could possibly watch other TV programmes on my TV before it is on UK TV, and also that I could watch 3pm KO games aswell.

It would be great if that could happen, but it would need the FA to sort something out in ticket prices so people still go to games, and a reduction in ticket prices would mean a reduction in wages, which means less players coming to our leagues, which could result in less quality football.

For about £300 plus £120pa you can buy the system that pubs use. Are they going to say that this equiptment is illegal when it can be purchased legally in the rest of the EU? Could plod knock on your front door and arrest you?

Nah, f*** that, is football really just about money to you? Hope those Sky c***s get everything coming to them. Their money has effectively helped to ruin the English game unless you enjoy wanking over the top 4, s*** atmospheres and overplayed arsehole players.

It is in this thread. Sky would be effected in the short term but long term it could turn out better for them because atm they buy 4 of the 5 packages UK packages but if they have no value then the the PL have nothing to sell as a collective, so the clubs would look for there own UK deals to make up for the loss. Those clubs you hate would then have more TV money while the clubs lower down the PL ladder would find things tough.

Didn't Celtic and Rangers not try to monopolise the TV money in Scotland about 10/15 years ago. When they vetoed the vote that gave all clubs an equal share the rest of the league withdrw their membership thus leaving Celtic and Rangers no opponents to play. They got their wish over the big boys.