Colin Calderwood

Dave

You never really know how much input a No 2 has until he's gone - back in the 70s, we had Keith Burkinshaw with Joe Harvey and I know he was highly rated by the players AND Harvey. We went downhill after he left for Spurs..

Against that we had Dinnis with Gordon Lee and the players almost mutinied to get him the job after Lee went to Everton, but look how THAT turned out...relegated the following season and he never had the board's support.

Taylor was at least half responsible for Clough's success at Derby and Forest but was never as good as a No 1....

Wish Calderwood all the best, but I can't help thinking that part of his motivation in leaving was the thought that he might have been getting out while the going was good...he would also be likely to leave if Hughton took the rap for our bad form - maybe there IS some truth in the Mail's story about Hughton being fired if we had lost to Wigan...

As for replacement, cannot see an obvious candidate unless Ashley, once again, takes the bargain basement option with Beardsley..wouldn't make me happy, he's found his role with the kids I reckon.

Yet MORE disruption at a club famous for it.........

It's a nice idea getting someone up from the lower leagues but A - it'd be a backwards step for them and B - now is a time to get some genuine Premier League experience amongst the coaching staff. We've already got a manager that's giving it a go for the first time; we'd really benefit from someone who knows this league like the back of his hand. Given the current situation, and the particular games we've lost, decisions like this are absolutely crucial. Fuck the likes of this up and we'll just drop like a stone.

Premiership experience plz. And not Iain Dowie - the man's a poisoned chalice.

Why Zola??

Because he's fucking brilliant!

It's not our defensive play that needs work, it's our craft, creativity and guile that need serious polishing and Zola was one of the most gifted players the Premier League has seen, so I reckon he'd do a top job. He has all of his coaching badges, has managed in the Premier League and seems like a cracking bloke as well.

I will be surprised if the club make ANY appointment before we play Sunderland...defeats in both the forthcoming games may have repercussions for the manager, so they are not going to appoint someone who they may have to sack a few weeks later.

If they DO bring someone from outside the club, then the message is that Hughton is fireproof....

Why Zola??

Because he's fucking brilliant!

It's not our defensive play that needs work, it's our craft, creativity and guile that need serious polishing and Zola was one of the most gifted players the Premier League has seen, so I reckon he'd do a top job. He has all of his coaching badges, has managed in the Premier League and seems like a cracking bloke as well.

Must have missed this craft, creativity and guile at West Ham.