Greatest game youve been to?

Guest jonnyameobi

4-3 against City when it was Sir Bobby vs KK deserves a mention. Such a topsy turvy game!

When it was 0-0 at HT? Souness was in charge then....

At the time, my favourite was beating Boro 3-1 in the relegation season. Completely soured by the fact we went down, obviously. Absolutely tonking Reading 3-0 under Keegan is probably my favourite. Honourable mention to the Forest game last year.

So it was! :doh:

Sunday for me. By a mile...  :lol:

But Middlesbrough last year in CCC was pretty good to.

Oh, and my one and only away, at Leicester in 1999/2000.

Could not get tickets at the away end, so i sat in the home area, managed to keep my mouth shut the first goal by Ferguson, but when Shearer scored i fucked up.

Got so many angry looks it was crazy, played the "i am young and stupid trick", was 16, had a little Norwegian flag in my pocket.

Some guys next to me laughed a little at me when i took it out and waved tbh :angel:

Juve at home

strange game for me as i was at in the gallowgate but all my memories for it are from the old e-wing paddock  :dontknow:

eh?

if i picture griffins goal i picture it as if watching from where the old e-wing paddock was. don't know why as that wasn't even a camera position used.

Hmm.

I'm sure I've talked about all of these games before, but the ones that stick with me are...

The 4–0 against Ferencváros, a club I hate after having lived in Budapest and been to a fair few of their matches, including one where the whole crowd made monkey noises at an Anderlecht team with about six black players. So I was well happy to see us running rings around them. And that wonderful Ginola goal, contender for the best I ever saw.

The 6–1 against Spurs just before Christmas 1999. It was like a pantomime. This time Daveed played the villain, scoring their only goal. His every move was robustly jeered. Just before half-time he went over on his arse, referee waved play on, Ginola sat there complaining. Eventually the ref ordered him to get up and get on with it. A few minutes later it was half-time, and while the other players all disappeared down the tunnel, Daveed went over to the centre circle for more useless remonstration with the ref. Duly ignored, he then had to walk all the way off the pitch by himself -- with 35,000 cheerfully booing themselves hoarse. The memory still makes me chuckle.

The 3–4 defeat by Man City in 1968, the end of the first season I ever went to SJP. The past is another stadium. The Leazes was a tin shed, the Popular Side was overlooked by a couple of trees with kids hanging in them perilously to watch for free, and pre-teen Ozzie and a few small friends were down at the bottom of the Gallowgate terraces, singing their little hearts out. We kept it up for what seemed like ages, but eventually ran out of songs, or breath, or both. There was a pause. Then the whole Leazes End started singing, "They've all gone quiet over there!" It took me a second to realize they were singing about US. It was funny, and it was scary, and it was kind of an honour. I can't remember much about the play, but I clearly recall my emotions afterwards -- not minding too much that we'd just been beaten, because I knew I'd seen an incredible game. But part of me feeling kind of traitorous for enjoying a game that we'd lost. A conundrum for young Ozzie, learning that football was a little more complex than he'd realized. It was a classic of its day, though -- much like the later 4-3 defeats by Liverpool.

Juve at home

strange game for me as i was at in the gallowgate but all my memories for it are from the old e-wing paddock  :dontknow:

eh?

if i picture griffins goal i picture it as if watching from where the old e-wing paddock was. don't know why as that wasn't even a camera position used.

out of body experience.

Madras- ive probs asked this before why were the paddocks called A wing- E-wing?

i'd guess they were divided up, A,B,C,D,E originally and with A and E being on the wings of the stand so to speak.

could ask mick, he helped shift some of the stuff over from chilly road (east ends ground) after he'd picked his pension up from the post office.

Madras- ive probs asked this before why were the paddocks called A wing- E-wing?

i'd guess they were divided up, A,B,C,D,E originally and with A and E being on the wings of the stand so to speak.

could ask mick, he helped shift some of the stuff over from chilly road (east ends ground) after he'd picked his pension up from the post office.

doh :doh: abcd- obvious really. tho i thought they were just called centre paddocks. (  had season ticket there)

doh :doh: abcd- obvious really. tho i thought they were just called centre paddocks. (  had season ticket there)

my first was for the A-wing in ossies last season. then you just had A wing, centre, E wing, but my guess is they'd earlier been split as described.

my first was for the A-wing in ossies last season. then you just had A wing, centre, E wing, but my guess is they'd earlier been split as described.

my first was 83  ( £20) there was defo 4 or 5 sections then. cos in 82 we used to climb + squeeze through gaps  over to center paddock from e-wing to meet up with mates.

my first was 83  ( £20) there was defo 4 or 5 sections then. cos in 82 we used to climb + squeeze through gaps  over to center paddock from e-wing to meet up with mates.

waited till I was working to get my first season ticket (and had a couple of years out after getting promoted with keegan playing, just went to aways for the leaugh) A-wing, then season after E-wing then the newly built leazes for the first season back up then the spot in the gallowgate which has been mine ever since.

Barca for me too but the Mackems match is in the top three.

A notable mention goes to Shearers Testimonial. I dont think that I have ever had such a feelgood factor from any game of football which lasted for days and days after the game. The next day at work, non football types were asking me why I had such a big grin on my face that lasted all day long and it was all because of something which had threatened to be such a massive damp squib due to NUFC's shittyness at the time and Shearers injury forcing him out of the game. I honestly had to force myself to go to the game but in the end it turned out to be probably the greatest testimonial that has ever been played in this country. Not in terms of the match itself (which was canny enough) but there was just this magic in the air; it was a balmy late spring evening, the atmosphere was immense, it was the clubs record goalscorer, its icon, the symbol of everything that is great and good about Newcastle United Football Club and the City itself; my hero and we came back from the dead to get a stonewall (ahem) penalty in the last minute to win and then Shearer comes off the bench and slots home the winner. Honestly, it was the perfect fairytale ending and then we had that lass singing "Time to say Goodbye" on the pitch and the entire ground held their scarves aloft 70's style; what a sight! I had a massive lump in my throat, grown men were crying FFS, it was hairs on the back of the neck stuff at a fucking TESTIMONIAL! Shearer did his lap of honour and then stood holding his wife and kids looking up to the heavens as ticker tape rained down and fireworks lit up the sky.

Magic.

Collingwood vs St Kilda, Grand Final replay 2010.

If we're talking association football, well I've only been to one (unless you count the dreadful A-League), but that was pretty awesome- NUFC vs Blackpool last season. So from a sample size of one, a bit of a stretch to call it "greatest" having said that, delighted I got to got to St James's Park for a win.