Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers 19:45 10/11/10 Pre-Match thread

joeyt

If I agreed that the players were shattered, I'd agree that they should be rested, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on Sunday, so I think consistency is key right now. Would prefer to rest 1 or 2 for Fulham than for this game.

You musn't have been looking hard enough then, because Nolan and Ameobi were dead after about 60 minutes and Jonas looked off for the majority of the game.

It's more likely that you're just wrong tbh.

Or it's more than likely we were playing Arsenal.

A winning team never gets tired.

Robson didn't even drop players when were in the champions league FFS

dont change the starting 11 unless we have to!

Why should we rest players....still early season and its not like we play in Europe either!

If players needs a rest now....then they need more physical trainning or to get sacked!

You're missing the point again.

This isn't an ordinary team in an ordinary season. Some of these players aren't good enough for the PL but they're playing above themselves and as a result, are putting more energy and workrate into performances. They'll burn out alot easier than a Robson team or us in the Championship etc.

Just out of interest, who in the current starting 11 isnt good enough for the Premier League?

Not necessarily not good enough, but i think Nolan, Simpson, Barton and Ameobi in particular are playing above themselves atm.

Simpson I'd agree with. Nolan and Barton have both played to this standard before, just not with us. As for Shola I've given up trying to guess what to expect from him. One week we get Johan Cryuff, the next we get Jordi. I don't think it's anything to do with him being tired it's just how Shola is.

Jonny you're talking rubbish mate :lol: Another little subtle swipe at Barton too, I see - still prefer Guthrie? ;)

It's not rubbish - I'm just trying to keep my feet on the ground. Just because we've won three on the bounce doesn't mean we're now the best team in the world - the way people on this forum instantly swipe at you the second you dare even think about a bit of criticism would suggest some think we are.

Poor players don't become good players in the space of 2 weeks - I can't help but be hesitant.

That too.

They pass around teams, they make them look ragged. I don't think our lot were any more tired than I'd expect them to be after 90 minutes.

At the end of the day I trust Hughton's judgement on the players over anyone on here (yes, even you Jonny). If they're tired he'll drop them, if they're not he wont.

Sorry - I slipped into the thought for a second that this was a forum. Forgot we aren't allowed to give opinions on here. Anything that goes against the majority, the winning team or King Hughton is instantly 'wrong'.

Jonny you're talking rubbish mate :lol: Another little subtle swipe at Barton too, I see - still prefer Guthrie? ;)

It's not rubbish - I'm just trying to keep my feet on the ground. Just because we've won three on the bounce doesn't mean we're now the best team in the world - the way people on this forum instantly swipe at you the second you dare even think about a bit of criticism would suggest some think we are.

Poor players don't become good players in the space of 2 weeks - I can't help but be hesitant.

There's a difference between keeping your feet on the ground and talking negative crap though.  We've just won three on the bounce, good players don't become crap in three days.

There's a difference between keeping your feet on the ground and talking negative crap though.  We've just won three on the bounce, good players don't become crap in three days.

It's not 'negative crap' though. If it was negative crap, I'd have said it was all a stroke of luck, that we did nowt right and that we won in spite of Hughton. I'm just making a couple of criticisms, not tearing the team apart.

It's not 'negative crap' though. If it was negative crap, I'd have said it was all a stroke of luck, that we did nowt right and that we won in spite of Hughton. I'm just making a couple of criticisms, not tearing the team apart.

But you are talking crap though, because none of the players looked knackered at the end of the game :lol:

I don't think people disagreeing with your proposed changes means they think we're the best team in the world - that's a pretty big leap, like! Don't know where you got that from.

Has it crossed your mind that your assumption about poor players becoming good players might be based on faulty initial assumptions? Even as a possibility, I mean?

Personally I've never believed in the concept of over-achieving - you're either able of performing to a certain level, or you're not. These players are clearly capable of playing very well in the system we're employing over a sustained period of time (270 minutes and counting) - there's nothing deceptive or misleading about it.

They may mistakes in the future, I'm sure they will in fact, but to then say they were playing above themselves seems irrational IMO.

That too.

They pass around teams, they make them look ragged. I don't think our lot were any more tired than I'd expect them to be after 90 minutes.

At the end of the day I trust Hughton's judgement on the players over anyone on here (yes, even you Jonny). If they're tired he'll drop them, if they're not he wont.

Sorry - I slipped into the thought for a second that this was a forum. Forgot we aren't allowed to give opinions on here. Anything that goes against the majority, the winning team or King Hughton is instantly 'wrong'.

Calm down, man :lol:

Of course you're allowed to give your opinion, no one is stopping you. The vast majority of people on here though are of the opinion that your opinion is wrong.

Can't blame the doubters for not getting carried away - it's what supporting this club for any length of time does to you. You only have to look at this season's results to see why we suspect things could go wrong on Wednesday.

But you are talking crap though, because none of the players looked knackered at the end of the game :lol:

Since when is that a criticism/negative? If anything it's a testament to how hard they worked :lol:

Guest neesy111

Since when is that a criticism/negative? If anything it's a testament to how hard they worked :lol:

The way your banging on, you'd think we were playing Real Madrid on wednesday.

Big Sam probably wishes we were.

Just wait until they beat us :shifty:

It turns negative when you say that we need to rest them because they are not good enough for this league so the only reason we've been getting the results we have is by working "too" hard. I would rather say that we've got the results by playing a formation that has suited our players (and maybe more importantly, our opposition) very well and because the likes of Barton and Nolan has that bit of class to produce a goal or two.

I don't think people disagreeing with your proposed changes means they think we're the best team in the world - that's a pretty big leap, like! Don't know where you got that from.

Has it crossed your mind that your assumption about poor players becoming good players might be based on faulty initial assumptions? Even as a possibility, I mean?

Personally I've never believed in the concept of over-achieving - you're either able of performing to a certain level, or you're not. These players are clearly capable of playing very well in the system we're employing over a sustained period of time (270 minutes and counting) - there's nothing deceptive or misleading about it.

They may mistakes in the future, I'm sure they will in fact, but to then say they were playing above themselves seems irrational IMO.

Not really. It happens all the time. Do you think we're better than Arsenal? Because I don't, yet the result shows otherwise - if they weren't playing above themselves then we're a better side than Arsenal.

The FA Cup is a perfect example of it. Smaller teams beating bigger teams. They play out of their skin, fight for everything and get the upset. They're not good enough to play in teh higher leagues and if they did, they'd probably get beat every week. But for those games they play above themselves as footballers and get the result. I don't think it's irrational at all.

im not getting carried away because i think we shouldn´t change our winning side, unless Chris finds it nessesary! Im only saying that a unchanged side with high confidence is preferred even though they overall might be on 90% or so.

Starting to make 3-4 changes is what i think is "getting carried away" coz we are not so much better than blackburn that we can start to put "2-3-4 not in form players" in the starting 11.

Rather go for 3 (safe) points against blackburn and take 1 game at the time.....that should the strategy this season....dont look ahead and get carried away! Stay focused on the next game (christmas time is something different i know)

Not really. It happens all the time. Do you think we're better than Arsenal? Because I don't, yet the result shows otherwise - if they weren't playing above themselves then we're a better side than Arsenal.

The FA Cup is a perfect example of it. Smaller teams beating bigger teams. They play out of their skin, fight for everything and get the upset. They're not good enough to play in teh higher leagues and if they did, they'd probably get beat every week. But for those games they play above themselves as footballers and get the result. I don't think it's irrational at all.

You're missing steps in your logic again - I didn't say that was the best Arsenal could play.

Are you tired? Step away from the forum and get a coffee man! :)