The Garry Barry appreciation thread

The Prophet

I know it's fun to tear into him, but Henderson didn't really outshine him..

Barry has a preposterous amount of caps behind him. He showed no more experience than an uncapped 21 (?) year old. Nothing new from GB either.

Guest Heneage

Barry has a preposterous amount of caps behind him. He showed no more experience than an uncapped 21 (?) year old. Nothing new from GB either.

I agree I just thought England's central midfield was poor. I know Henderson's first game he's going to need time to bed in which I think he will, but for now he's obviously not the answer. Barry never was the answer.

I agree I just thought England's central midfield was poor.

It was horrendous, and Henderson was poor, no doubt. But heaping criticism on him in particular would be an atrocious move from the media.

Didn't think Henderson was any worse than anyone else, if anything he tried to keep calm and keep it simple. Didn't have a good game, but certainly no worse then Barry and Milner.

Agree. He just went missing for most parts of the game, clearly not ready for this level yet. Should still be getting more caps in friendlies if the likes of Wilshere and Rodwell are out.

Henderson's got a long way to go, he seems to have something about him but is still far too raw for england. played well vs chelsea but their midfield in that match, in a ramires who hasnt adapted to the premiership yet, a past it russian winger and Mikel, was mid-table quality. against a more promising french side surrounded by the typical malcontents he was always going to struggle.

anyway, said barry was medicore 3 years ago when everyone was jizzing over him under McLaren and got a bit of stick on here for it. tbf to barry he does do some of the basics well he's just totally pedestrian and average. probably says more about england's inability to find good passing midfielders who keep the side ticking over than anything else.

Guest Heneage

Stupid comment.

Aye righto. He was fantastic.  :lol:

You can't rush young players is my point. Henderson was tidy, but looked slightly over-awed by the whole occasion. He clearly needs a bit more time in the U21's before being included in the 30-35 man pool of English players considered for squads. He's shown for Sunderland he has potential to play at that level, it's just going to take time.

But yeah, stupid comment.

Stupid comment.

You can't rush young players is my point. Henderson was tidy, but looked slightly over-awed by the whole occasion. He clearly needs a bit more time in the U21's before being included in the 30-35 man pool of English players considered for squads. He's shown for Sunderland he has potential to play at that level, it's just going to take time.

Bringing up a comparison of Henderson's debut against a player with 40 odd caps is pretty stupid. Henderson was terrible tonight but that's not the issue here when talking about Gareth Barry's performance, while Barry should be the one helping Henderson settle not hinder anything he does.

Stupid comment.

I agree, Henderson had passed me by recently as I hadn't seen what a lot of people were talking about but I thought he did well against Chelsea stiffs. Tonight he was ok a bit quiet, over-awed was a good phrase but I did feel sorry for him whwn he got the yellow card after pulling out of the tackle then seeing the French cunt jump 3 feet in the air and roll around like a stunt man.

Guest Heneage

Stupid comment.

Bringing up a comparison of Henderson's debut against a player with 40 odd caps is pretty stupid. Henderson was terrible tonight but that's not the issue here when talking about Gareth Barry's performance, while Barry should be the one helping Henderson settle not hinder anything he does.

You're right bringing up a comparison is stupid, that's why I didn't do it. My point was relating to the fact he's often England's scapegoat when the player next to him who I'd argue was being picked as the more attacking midfield was offering little. Yes Barry is a poor player, all I was saying was Henderson wasn't really performing on an attacking or a defensive front he was very much just there.

You could easily have said the same about Walcott to be honest, he once again looked poor and seemed to lack  the basic understanding of how to play on the wing.

The real person to blame here is Capello, once again he picks a squad that seems to have no real thought process encapsulated in the selection of Jay Bothroyd, It would have been better for Gary Hooper to get the call.

Stupid comment.

You're right bringing up a comparison is stupid, that's why I didn't do it. My point was relating to the fact he's often England's scapegoat when the player next to him who I'd argue was being picked as the more attacking midfield was offering little. Yes Barry is a poor player, all I was saying was Henderson wasn't really performing on an attacking or a defensive front he was very much just there.

You could easily have said the same about Walcott to be honest, he once again looked poor and seemed to lack  the basic understanding of how to play on the wing.

The real person to blame here is Capello, once again he picks a squad that seems to have no real thought process encapsulated in the selection of Jay Bothroyd, It would have been better for Gary Hooper to get the call.

I don't disagree with any of that (and your last post)  apart from the bit in bold, you did that when you said 'I know it's fun to tear into him, but Henderson didn't really outshine him' that's comparing Henderson to Barry at this level and in the last match however you want to dress it up tbh.

Guest Chubby Jason

Carrick is a worse player still. Who is the alternative to Barry for England? The dearth in holding midfielders for England is pretty worrying, I'd stick Scott Parker back in there personally.

Shame it's only a matter of time before Cattermole starts getting mentioned.