Sournes/Souness

Thespence

I wouldn't say Kinnear was the worst appointment tbh. We were fast sinking without a trace between Keegan and he, I'd never seen a Newcastle team with so much 'meh, who cares?' - at least he gave them a kick up the backside and put a bit of fighting spirit back in there.

Its easy to forget that Kenny took us to 2nd in the table, and possibly closer to the title that season, I know under Keegan it went to the last day albeit needing the smoggies with a Robson bumming Fergie to do the unthinkable, but if we had come through the West Ham game with a victory we would have had Man Utd in a massive game on a Thursday night if I remember correctly?

But Kenny did buy some tripe but also some quality players. For me Souness was the worse, Kinnear ranks up there, I do believe we would have stayed up if he hadn't become ill however, he was dogshite and I think he could have taken us down the season after.

Its easy to forget that Kenny took us to 2nd in the table, and possibly closer to the title that season, I know under Keegan it went to the last day albeit needing the smoggies with a Robson bumming Fergie to do the unthinkable, but if we had come through the West Ham game with a victory we would have had Man Utd in a massive game on a Thursday night if I remember correctly?

But Kenny did buy some tripe but also some quality players. For me Souness was the worse, Kinnear ranks up there, I do believe we would have stayed up if he hadn't become ill however, he was dogshite and I think he could have taken us down the season after.

eh ? after the man utd game (5-0) we were never in contention for the title. even on the last day we had to rely on liverpool and arsenal not winning as they were ahead of us before kick off.

Kinnear's a worse manager than Souness, but Souness seems worse because we already in a position of despair when JFK was brought in. I don't consider Shearer's appointment bad.  We were doomed and that was a crack at reversing that.  It failed, but left us on the same path.  Also, had Hughton stayed in charge, it may have discredited have prevented the reputation he now has.

Again with the 'doomed' - since when was 1 point off survival doomed?

Take away Kinnear's illness and the two change on manager in the dressing room (Hughton then Shearer), and we'd have found that extra point IMO.

We'd have survived with Kinnear, I have no doubt.

We'd be in the Championship right now though, and in much more of a mess than any other time during the last 3 years.

Yup. As of now, going down was probably better than staying up.

i'm not sure either. :uglystupid2:

What if I mentioned that Souness spent almost £50 million to take us to 15th when sacked?

aye but judging by alan smith i think allardyce could have done that.

overall though i'd just about agree,

The Dalglish era was a strange one. On paper you could argue his appointment was one of if not the worst in the club's history given how he took a team that had finished 2nd to 13th and of course dismantling what was regarded then as a top side in selling the likes of Ginola and Sir Les and bringing in veterens like Rush and Barnes. However, the bare statistics don't tell the whole story or even come close. Dalglish arrived at Newcastle at a time when the club and indeed game were going through a major transition. From Ltd company to PLC, from world record signings to recouping money, from free flowing care free football to technical and thought out football (Arsene Wenger's arival for example), and of course, the biggest issue as far as the club itself was concerned and the whole ethos of NUFC at that time - replacing the "messiah", King Kev himself.

Me, I thought Dalglish wasn't to blame for our slide, looking back now, I think it was inevitable given our rapid progress in the years prior to his appointment and the way the game itself was changing, a game Dalglish skills wise was ill equipped to master.

Whenever I assess a manager's place in the club's history, I look at legacy left. Dalglish restored the reserves and gave Sir Bobby several top players in which to build a side around, i.e. Given, Speed and Nobby in particular. When Souness left, he left us with Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Faye, Emre, Parker and Babayaro - none of whom are at the club today which says it all. We made a huge loss on that lot and collectively they gave this club nothing but trouble.

Dalglish did a poor job here and wasn't the best manager skills wise but he left us with something to work with. Souness destroyed everything, Sir Bobby's team, and on top of that, left nothing for his successor(s) to work with.

By the time Sir Bobby came here, 14 or so months after Dalglish's departure, he was left a reserve and academy set up, Shay Given, Dabizas, Hughes, Speed, Nobby and a certain mackem destroyer who was just coming through the ranks, the ranks Dalglish helped restore.

In terms of managerial appointments, I would regard Gullit, Souness, Big Sam and Joe Kinnear as worse appointments.

And speaking of Kinnear...

I completely forgot about him, forget about Souness being the worst appointment in the club's history, Kinnear is your man.

Great post. The only decent signing during the Souness era was Tim Krul, and i'm pretty sure Souness didnt have much to do with his signing. that would have been down to our scouting network.

The Dalglish era was a strange one. On paper you could argue his appointment was one of if not the worst in the club's history given how he took a team that had finished 2nd to 13th and of course dismantling what was regarded then as a top side in selling the likes of Ginola and Sir Les and bringing in veterens like Rush and Barnes. However, the bare statistics don't tell the whole story or even come close. Dalglish arrived at Newcastle at a time when the club and indeed game were going through a major transition. From Ltd company to PLC, from world record signings to recouping money, from free flowing care free football to technical and thought out football (Arsene Wenger's arival for example), and of course, the biggest issue as far as the club itself was concerned and the whole ethos of NUFC at that time - replacing the "messiah", King Kev himself.

Me, I thought Dalglish wasn't to blame for our slide, looking back now, I think it was inevitable given our rapid progress in the years prior to his appointment and the way the game itself was changing, a game Dalglish skills wise was ill equipped to master.

Whenever I assess a manager's place in the club's history, I look at legacy left. Dalglish restored the reserves and gave Sir Bobby several top players in which to build a side around, i.e. Given, Speed and Nobby in particular. When Souness left, he left us with Luque, Owen, Boumsong, Faye, Emre, Parker and Babayaro - none of whom are at the club today which says it all. We made a huge loss on that lot and collectively they gave this club nothing but trouble.

Dalglish did a poor job here and wasn't the best manager skills wise but he left us with something to work with. Souness destroyed everything, Sir Bobby's team, and on top of that, left nothing for his successor(s) to work with.

By the time Sir Bobby came here, 14 or so months after Dalglish's departure, he was left a reserve and academy set up, Shay Given, Dabizas, Hughes, Speed, Nobby and a certain mackem destroyer who was just coming through the ranks, the ranks Dalglish helped restore.

In terms of managerial appointments, I would regard Gullit, Souness, Big Sam and Joe Kinnear as worse appointments.

And speaking of Kinnear...

I completely forgot about him, forget about Souness being the worst appointment in the club's history, Kinnear is your man.

Great post. The only decent signing during the Souness era was Tim Krul, and i'm pretty sure Souness didnt have much to do with his signing. that would have been down to our scouting network.

Fair enough but there again I'm not sure how much Souness had to do with signing Luque and Owen tbh.

Parker was a good signing, just went a bit sour in his final 6 months or so at the club. His decline in our colours can be blamed partially on his glandular fever he had and partially on Roeder trying to play him as our 'driving force' from midfield, which didn't really work considering what he was surrounded with.

Guest firetotheworks

Can anyone remember how truly awful it was having Kinnear as our manager? I just remember laughing my way through it for some reason.

Can anyone remember how truly awful it was having Kinnear as our manager? I just remember laughing my way through it for some reason.

The thing that pissed me off most was his awful throat-clearing every half sentence in the press conferences. Used to turn up with his hair all greasy too, just a complete shambles. He looked every inch a 'Remember the 90's?' appointment, almost as if he hadn't washed or changed clothes since.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing that pissed me off most was his awful throat-clearing every half sentence in the press conferences. Used to turn up with his hair all greasy too, just a complete shambles. He looked every inch a 'Remember the 90's?' appointment, almost as if he hadn't washed or changed clothes since.

The whole 'you're a cunt' thing, and the hating the press at the time felt understandable, because as fans what we'd went through had that kind of anger bubbling beneath the surface, but in hindsight it was really fucking shameful. The whole Enrique thing was the worst, but we've both discussed that to death.