Sournes/Souness

Thespence

Dalglish is still the worst regime in our P.L history for me. Selling Ginola and Ferdinand and replacing them with any of the players you choose to mention in their respective positions and it reads like a eulogy. I accept that Dalglish had bad luck though, and for that I'd say Souness is the worst Manager we've had.

Both wanted to leave for London. Robert and Bellamy didn't.

Dalglish is still the worst regime in our P.L history for me. Selling Ginola and Ferdinand and replacing them with any of the players you choose to mention in their respective positions and it reads like a eulogy. I accept that Dalglish had bad luck though, and for that I'd say Souness is the worst Manager we've had.

Bollocks. Sir Les didn't want to leave, though, yes, Daveed did.

Guest firetotheworks

You're wrong there. Ferdinand didn't want to leave, and Ginola knew straight away that Dalglish didn't like him, he was proven right from the outset. Besides Ginola and Ferdinand were higher calibre players than Robert and Bellamy.

Guest neesy111

You're wrong there. Ferdinand didn't want to leave, and Ginola knew straight away that Dalglish didn't like him, he was proven right from the outset. Besides Ginola and Ferdinand were higher calibre players than Robert and Bellamy.

Ferdinand Yes, Ginola Nope.  Ginola was a better player to watch, Robert a better player to have in your team.

Guest firetotheworks

Ferdinand Yes, Ginola Nope.  Ginola was a better player to watch, Robert a better player to have in your team.

Nah, one of those two players was in a team fighting for the title, left and went on to win PFA player of the year. The other wasn't and faded away immediately after leaving us. Ginola was the better player by a mile, he just wasn't the better player for us.

Bollocks. Sir Les didn't want to leave, though, yes, Daveed did.

the club needed some money back and we could get 6mill for a 30yr old who was starting to get a lot of injuries.

Worst managerial appointment in the club's history? We were a top-class appointment away from building on the work Sir Bobby had started which was to firmly establish us as a top 5 club with a bright future ahead. We have never been the same club since most of our woes can be traced directly back to the appointment of Souness. Freddy Shepherd and co knew they had made a rick appointing him but given his huge contract and not wanting to lose face, they thought by handing him huge money and signing the likes of Owen would not only make him look good in the eyes of fans but also paper over the huge cracks in the side. It showed just how deluded the old regime were and just how poor a manager Souness was. As a pundit he is one of the best in my opinion and as a "bloke" he seems pretty decent. He was just a s**** manager who couldn't handle certain characters and was the wrecking ball of this club. Whatever possessed those clowns to appoint him...

:thup:

Got it in one. Good bloke, good pundit, very poor manager.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd argue that Ferdinand and Ginola weren't as important to us as Bellamy and Robert.

You'd be arguing a different point. I'd agree with you on that. My point was purely that Ginola and Ferdinand were of a higher calibre.

I always find it interesting that a lot of people rate Beardsley as the best ever Newcastle player and yet never mention him when referring to Dalglish's time as manager. I would say Beardsley getting too old had more to do with the club going downhill than anything else.

I always find it interesting that a lot of people rate Beardsley as the best ever Newcastle player and yet never mention him when referring to Dalglish's time as manager. I would say Beardsley getting too old had more to do with the club going downhill than anything else.

ferdinand,albert and howey all starting to pick up a load of injuries aswell, not to mention the long term injuries to shearer and asprilla.

Guest firetotheworks

The downfall of Beardsley was hard to watch. He was so good (the best player I've seen for us) that it just WAS forgiveable when he made mistakes because it would take something special to be that fickle.

It was the way we started to play under Dalglish that got to me. In hindsight, I was young and I'd been spoonfed the Keegan era, so anyone coming in after that was always going to look inferior, even if it had have yielded better results. I still think his signings were shoddy.

I disagree. Robert might have been more productive (as in scored more and assisted more) - however if I were a team challenging for the title, I'd have rather had Ginola playing for me than Robert. Simply due to Ginola's ability in general play, as well as how he could play left, right or even have a free role.

Shearer's injury, too. Beardsley had a fantastic season in 94-95, absolutely incredible. He started going downhill right after, however.

I'd have loved to have seen him in his first stint. Pedro 93-96 is the best player i've ever had the pleasure to witness in b&w.

Worst managerial appointment in the club's history? We were a top-class appointment away from building on the work Sir Bobby had started which was to firmly establish us as a top 5 club with a bright future ahead. We have never been the same club since most of our woes can be traced directly back to the appointment of Souness. Freddy Shepherd and co knew they had made a rick appointing him but given his huge contract and not wanting to lose face, they thought by handing him huge money and signing the likes of Owen would not only make him look good in the eyes of fans but also paper over the huge cracks in the side. It showed just how deluded the old regime were and just how poor a manager Souness was. As a pundit he is one of the best in my opinion and as a "bloke" he seems pretty decent. He was just a s**** manager who couldn't handle certain characters and was the wrecking ball of this club. Whatever possessed those clowns to appoint him...

Agree with most of this, although I dont think he was a decent bloke. He seemed like a bully and a cunt to me.

I fuckin hate him! It was so frustrating how far we fell in 18 months. I think everyone could see what was happening as he made us worse and worse, month by month. I never wanted him, was calling for his head after about 3 months, but the pain of his reign was dragged out for well over a year. The week we were destroyed by Lisbon and Man United was one of the most depressing I can remember supporting Newcastle.