Alan Pardew

JH

Harsh RE Tevez and Mascherano, both were forced on him by the owners half way through a season and he had no knowledge of their abilities and how they would help or disrupt his side.

He had 2 class players on his hands and didn't recognise it, I don't see how that is harsh at all.  Teves was hardly unknown when he was brought over to this country.

Guest sicko2ndbest

For me we will make a couple of key signings in January which will be LB competition for Jose and a partner for Carroll

I think this will make a huge difference to our effectiveness and our ability to have a different avenue to explore when posing an attacking threat.

Hughton never got anything out of the likes of Perch and Smith and because of their obvious lack of quality i doubt Pardew will be able to either. In fact, goal apart, i think theres an arguement that that was 'Perchies' best  game in a black and white (ok Blue) shirt

I think as long as Pardew can get the same out of the Bartons, Carrolls, Nolans, Jose's, Tiotes of this world as Hughton did, and nothing so far has suggested he cant, he will finish the league in a relatively comfortable position

Pardew couldn't get the best out of Teves and Mascherano, he's got no chance with Smith and Perch.

Forget Smith and Perch, at the moment all Pardew needs to do is get the best out of Barton, Carroll and Williamson. That's all Hughton had to work with and we managed to play some half decent stuff with them in the team before. We've had blips before so there is no point in knee-jerking, but as has been mentioned before, I hope we aren't going to go through the process of Pardew learning about his players...stuff which most of us have been well aware of for a long time.

Wonder whether he has made that phone call to Hughton yet :)

If not it could save him a lot of time and points

Forget Smith and Perch, at the moment all Pardew needs to do is get the best out of Barton, Carroll and Williamson. That's all Hughton had to work with and we managed to play some half decent stuff with them in the team before. We've had blips before so there is no point in knee-jerking, but as has been mentioned before, I hope we aren't going to go through the process of Pardew learning about his players...stuff which most of us have been well aware of for a long time.

He's not going to get the best out of Williamson on the bench.

Harsh RE Tevez and Mascherano, both were forced on him by the owners half way through a season and he had no knowledge of their abilities and how they would help or disrupt his side.

He had 2 class players on his hands and didn't recognise it, I don't see how that is harsh at all.  Teves was hardly unknown when he was brought over to this country.

Agreed. He wasn't our manager then but my impression of him during that time was he was a clueless loudmouth a la Graeme Souness. He should be given time to prove it's not the case but it's up to him to change that perception. A manager who can't recognise a class player at his own club really must be dense in all honesty.

Wonder whether he has made that phone call to Hughton yet :)

If not it could save him a lot of time and points

Pardew said he'd seen us play, rumours are that he was lined up a month before he came so I guess if the rumours are true then he's seen something of the players and he also said he'd watched a load of DVD's.  He trains the players everyday and has picked 3 teams, if he needs to ring Hughton who wasn't good enough then he's in trouble.

I don't see Williamson being picked from now on tbh (barring suspensions/injuries, obviously).

Agree. Hughton played him because he was Hughton's buy (not saying he's a poor player, btw), but Pardew has no reason to pick him ahead of the more established Taylor. Obviously no idea how he's performing in training, but you'd think he'd have to work hard to break up what is becoming a settled CB partnership.

Guest neesy111

Agreed. He wasn't our manager then but my impression of him during that time was he was a clueless loudmouth a la Graeme Souness. He should be given time to prove it's not the case but it's up to him to change that perception. A manager who can't recognise a class player at his own club really must be dense in all honesty.

So would you all be happy to bring in 2 better players for Nolan and Barton, but for the whole harmony of the dressing room to be wiped out.  I wouldn't at this stage of the season.

He said he has been looking at all of our previous games so I can't believe he hasn't recognised Colo and Will as the best partnership. I also hope he isn't being stubborn and is trying to do things 'his' way. That 5 man midfield with no support for Carroll was very silly imo, that is going back to big sam tactics, punt it long hope for the best or score a corner if we are lucky.

I think Pardew promised Taylor a place in the starting line up, in order the make him sign the contract

Doubt it, like. :lol: If so he's even stupider than I thought.

I would have thought a mixture of that, and this:

Any chance Pardew has been told from above to play Taylor ?

( I love a good conspiracy theory me )

I think Pardew promised Taylor a place in the starting line up, in order the make him sign the contract

Doubt it, like. :lol: If so he's even stupider than I thought.

I would have thought a mixture of that, and this:

Any chance Pardew has been told from above to play Taylor ?

( I love a good conspiracy theory me )

Well, it's more likely he's been undermined from above than he undermined himself. It'd be impressively thick to basically bow in to player power and hand your authority away in the space of a couple of weeks.

I am pretty sure Pardew used the Taylor contract situation as a chance to stamp his own mark on the team, one which he thought would go down well with the fans because Steve is a local lad. Plus he might actually rate him...how much of him he's seen is the important question.

My guess is he came in and being an outsider automatically assumed Taylor > Williamson, like loads of people who don't watch us play. Was told about the contract situation and convinced both the player he was his first choice centre back and subsequently the club to give him the deal he wanted. If Taylor is now on anything like the money that was mentioned at the start of this saga then he'll certainly be under pressure to keep him in the first team regardless.

My guess is he came in and being an outsider automatically assumed Taylor > Williamson, like loads of people who don't watch us play. Was told about the contract situation and convinced both the player he was his first choice centre back and subsequently the club to give him the deal he wanted. If Taylor is now on anything like the money that was mentioned at the start of this saga then he'll certainly be under pressure to keep him in the first team regardless.

Exactly how i see it, particularly the part in bold.

Makes sense, I suppose. He was put in a difficult position in a way. He would've looked a tit if he'd let Taylor go without knowing much about him, but giving him a contract that (you'd think) identifies him (by wage) as a first-choice CB he's painted himself into a corner.

or maybe he's going off his own perception that taylor is one of the two best centre halves at the club ?

Go on then, I'll bite if nobody else will.  That would probably be the worst of the scenarios mentioned so far.

or maybe he's going off his own perception that taylor is one of the two best centre halves at the club ?

For me that's one of the big tests of Pardew's judgement as a manager. If he's proven right then kudos to him. If not then he'll be history sooner rather than later.

Go on then, I'll bite if nobody else will.  That would probably be the worst of the scenarios mentioned so far.

it's the way i see it though. i don't think we have a stand out centre half at the club, we have 3 competently average premier league centre halves who each have their faults.