Alan Pardew

JH

Yet again, Pardew seems to be playing this game of running with the hare and riding with the hounds. If he feels that he's not being properly supported, he should quit. If he still trusts what he's being told, then he should stop trying to curry favour with the fans by this sort of 'hey, I know how you feel' type statement.

He was quoted in the Times yesterday as saying that it was mistake for him to say that the club were '100 per cent' guaranteed to sign a striker - 'It's important that I put pressure (on the board) in any way I can. There was a little bit of that involved. I can say that publicly. But I still feel the enthusiasm we have generated at the start of the season has gone with the signing not coming in'.

Well a) what are we to make of future statements by Pardew if he's admitted that he's been exaggerating the position in order to use pressure from the fans to force the board's hand? How can we trust what he's saying?

and b) by creating this fuss over signing one striker rather than two (which is the reality of the situation), hasn't he played some part in any loss of enthusiasm? How exactly do the existing strikers (particularly Ba) feel about these very public votes of no-confidence?

That's unless the 'loss of enthusiasm' bit is just more bullshit in order to put pressure on the board to deliver next time, which is a tactic he has admitted to employing.

I think Pardew's judgement of football matters is very sound, but I wasn't completely surprised to read an earlier post that he fell out with some West Ham players, who considered him two-faced. Nolan gave a hint of that when it emerged that he was disappointed that Pardew didn't fight very hard to keep him, despite earlier statements about how valuable he was to the side.

Yet again, Pardew seems to be playing this game of running with the hare and riding with the hounds. If he feels that he's not being properly supported, he should quit. If he still trusts what he's being told, then he should stop trying to curry favour with the fans by this sort of 'hey, I know how you feel' type statement.

He was quoted in the Times yesterday as saying that it was mistake for him to say that the club were '100 per cent' guaranteed to sign a striker - 'It's important that I put pressure (on the board) in any way I can. There was a little bit of that involved. I can say that publicly. But I still feel the enthusiasm we have generated at the start of the season has gone with the signing not coming in'.

Well a) what are we to make of future statements by Pardew if he's admitted that he's been exaggerating the position in order to use pressure from the fans to force the board's hand? How can we trust what he's saying?

and b) by creating this fuss over signing one striker rather than two (which is the reality of the situation), hasn't he played some part in any loss of enthusiasm? How exactly do the existing strikers (particularly Ba) feel about these very public votes of no-confidence?

That's unless the 'loss of enthusiasm' bit is just more bullshit in order to put pressure on the board to deliver next time, which is a tactic he has admitted to employing.

I think Pardew's judgement of football matters is very sound, but I wasn't completely surprised to read an earlier post that he fell out with some West Ham players, who considered him two-faced. Nolan gave a hint of that when it emerged that he was disappointed that Pardew didn't fight very hard to keep him, despite earlier statements about how valuable he was to the side.

I just stopped reading there. So f***ing idiotic. Give over, man.

I am perplexed by some of the double standards on here like - if everyone quit their job every time their arsehole boss screwed them over the unemployment rate would be through the roof - I for one wouldn't have lasted more than 5 minutes in most of my jobs!

I would agree that Pardew needs to stop playing the double game, but to suggest he should quit is a bit much. Maybe he should learn to reign in his patter though. The gushing praise of Barton while the player himself was taking potshots at the clubs owners was a dangerous game, and it gives the impression that everyone isn't pulling in the same direction.

Latest pile of drivel from PRdew

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/09/10/alan-pardew-sets-newcastle-strikers-a-challenge-61634-29395371/

Alan Pardew sets Newcastle strikers a challenge

* by Mark Douglas, The Journal

* Sep 10 2011

ALAN Pardew has challenged his pack of strikers to prove him wrong – as he predicts more to come from Demba Ba and Leon Best.

The United boss spent most of the summer hammering home the point to all and sundry that Newcastle needed a proven hitman to shoulder the Premier League goalscoring burden – but having seen the board’s efforts come to nothing, he is now concentrating on the strikers he has got.

Shola Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands and Leon Best have proved reliable to Pardew in the past, and he will send them out again during the winter months with the aim of securing their own role in his plans beyond January.

There is also an expectation that Demba Ba will step up following the end of the holy month of Ramadan, during which the striker was fasting.

Having seen Best step up and score twice against Fulham, he knows that there are goals to be squeezed out of a forward line that managed to score 22 goals for Newcastle between them last year.

Ba’s seven goals for West Ham following a January switch from Hoffenheim should also be taken into account.

Pardew said: “There are some roles up for grabs here. When Shola has played for me, he has done terrific, and the same is true of Peter Lovenkrands and Leon Best.

“So between the three of them, there is a lot of competition. And Ba is coming in as well. When you start saying their names and what they have done for me, they’ve all done very well.

“I’ve got to make sure that hunger stays there and that someone in that group gets us the goals we’re going to need.â€

Ba has struggled for sharpness since his summer move from West Ham but Pardew feels that brighter days are over the horizon for the Senegal striker.

Not much has been made of Ba’s fasting, which is something that Pardew was reticent to discuss in public even if he felt it might have had an effect on his summer signing.

“It’s not that I haven’t been prepared to talk about anything, I just feel that some issues are personal and that’s a religious thing they have to go through,†he said. “As far as their performance levels are concerned, it is going to have some impact, there’s no doubt about it, but they’re through that now.

“And, especially with a striker like Demba is, that sharpness is very, very important and I think he’s lacked that a little bit.

“Once he gets that back and it won’t take him long, he’s going to be a very good player for us.â€

The fall-out from United’s failure to land a striker continues to be felt, with the Newcastle board agreeing to answer 14 pertinent questions set by our sister title, the Chronicle.

Those answers will be published today as United open up a new front of communication that will prompt hopes that future dialogue will be forthcoming.

Such black and white optimism has frequently been dashed but at least it is a sign that the board are acknowledging the concerns generated among supporters by the failure to re-invest the £35m Andy Carroll windfall on a new forward.

In the meantime it is up to Pardew to recapture the momentum lost by the transfer window failings.

To that extent he will look to the returning Hatem Ben Arfa (pictured left) to excite supporters – with Pardew already sounding upbeat noises on the potential for the France international to make an immediate impact.

The United boss was considering deploying Ben Arfa in a deep-lying ‘second striker’ role before the sickening pre-season injury suffered in the States, and there is every chance that he will reprise that when he returns in mid-September.

Pardew said: “Ben Arfa is going to come into contention for this team, probably towards the end of September. We need to make sure he is right when he comes back.â€

Guest sicko2ndbest

I just stopped reading there. So f***ing idiotic. Give over, man.

Agree. Unbelievable that people think pardew should quit, when we ashleys back ups have previously included Hughton who was a lucky gamble based on nothing and kinnear

Okay, I'll clarify my point. If you feel you're being fucked over by your boss, you have choices. You can grin and bear it or you can quit. What you shouldn't be doing is making these kind of strong public hints that you're not seeing eye to eye with your boss, with a whole load of vague statements. It's like he's trying to secure public support for some kind of private battle that he's facing.

Pardew is being too clever by half here. He's liable to end up not being taken seriously by anybody.

As for the failure to sign a striker this is how I reckon things went

PRdew 'we will sign a striker 100% guaranteed'

PRdew 'we will sign a striker in the next week or so'

PRdew 'we will sign a striker before the window closes'

PRdew 'Derek, where's that striker I've been promising the fans? If we don't get one there's a chance they might turn on me'

Llambsarse 'We can't have that, we need the fans on your side. Blame the board, they hate us anyway'

PRdew 'Derek and Lee are trying very hard to sign a striker, they have assured me they will. It's down to them, nothing to do with me'

Okay, I'll clarify my point. If you feel you're being fucked over by your boss, you have choices. You can grin and bear it or you can quit.

the idea that these are the only two credible choices is astonishingly stupid tbf. though quite entertaining to watch the mental contortions you put yourself through in order to defend the indefensible.

one of the other alternatives is to try and effect change whatever way you can. i'd say pardew is pleased to have such a big job considering his career record is mediocre, so he's not going to give it up just yet. but that's not to say he's not disappointed in the board, as any manager in football would be working for such unprofessional clowns. for the next few months and going into the january window he'll be walking a tightrope, trying to engineer pressure for funds, using his influence both in public and behind closed doors, while at the same time trying to stay in the good books of his employers. won't be easy.

not surprising that you are oblivious to this subtle and complex course of diplomacy.

Okay, I'll clarify my point. If you feel you're being fucked over by your boss, you have choices. You can grin and bear it or you can quit.

the idea that these are the only two credible choices is astonishingly stupid tbf. though quite entertaining to watch the mental contortions you put yourself through in order to defend the indefensible.

one of the other alternatives is to try and effect change whatever way you can. i'd say pardew is pleased to have such a big job considering his career record is mediocre, so he's not going to give it up just yet. but that's not to say he's not disappointed in the board, as any manager in football would be working for such unprofessional clowns. for the next few months and going into the january window he'll be walking a tightrope, trying to engineer pressure for funds, using his influence both in public and behind closed doors, while at the same time trying to stay in the good books of his employers. won't be easy.

not surprising that you are oblivious to this subtle and complex course of diplomacy.

Exactly.

I'm getting a bit tired of words being lifted out like this.

I feel that if there is a battle, Pardew shouldn't be using these particular tactics. He's not actually saying that he doesn't trust the owner, but he seems to be trying to use the mistrust in which Ashley is held by the supporters, in order to strengthen his hand. It doesn't feel straight to me and it'll do no good.

I'm getting a bit tired of words being lifted out like this.

I feel that if there is a battle, Pardew shouldn't be using these particular tactics. He's not actually saying that he doesn't trust the owner, but he seems to be trying to use the mistrust in which Ashley is held by the supporters, in order to strengthen his hand. It doesn't feel straight to me and it'll do no good.

Yeah, just give it a rest.

Pardew: Modern managers don't do deals

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleSep 10 2011

ALAN PARDEW believes that managers who have “full control†of football clubs in the modern game are in danger of becoming extinct.

The Newcastle United manager insists his role is to identify players in his capacity as manager but unlike old school football management, Pardew admits his part in getting deals completed is limited.

Pardew has came under fire from fans who feel he does not have enough input from the manager’s office.

But he feels he is no different to Premier League bosses such as Arsene Wenger and Harry Redknapp, who also have to respect the moves of the money men.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “Premier League managers doing the financial deals are getting lesser and lesser every year.

“I did at Reading and West Ham, to a lesser extent.

“It’s the same as every other Premier League manager.

“Harry Redknapp probably did every deal 20 years ago – now he is the same position as myself.

“It is Daniel Levy who does the deals at Spurs.

“Arsene Wenger was on a coaching course in a foreign land when the deals for the August window were done.

“The financial world is so complex, and so difficult.â€

Pardew gave more of an insight into his role and feels it can’t be all about signing players.

The Toon manager, who goes into Monday’s encounter with newly promoted Queens Park Rangers looking to stay unbeaten at the start of the season, said: “We’re not really part of it (thrashing out transfer, agent and player demands), the modern manager can’t be.

“We have too many other things to do and can’t be because it is too time consuming.

“We have other things that need to be done like motivating the team, preparing the team, making sure the staff are motivated – we have to focus on that.â€

The former West Ham and Reading manager also admits that the hysteria that surrounds Newcastle United is tough to manage, especially after making such a positive start to the season, work which seems to have been undone by the failure to land a striker on deadline day.

He said: “At this club, it’s like we take two steps forward then a big step back.

“Sometimes that step back has been out of my control, unfortunately.â€

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/10/pardew-modern-managers-don-t-do-deals-72703-29396068/#ixzz1XXrgBqWj

Right, we get it, it's not your fault. Now give it a f***ing rest

I'm sure he'd like those criticising him to give it a rest too to be fair  :lol:.

We care more about the club than he ever will. It's his own fault for putting himself in that position

He knew what he was getting into when he took the job, he plays quite a dangerous but pretty sly game imo. His profile will be increasing all the time, once the inevitable happens he will hope to be in a much, much better standing than prior to be being appointed.

He knew what he was getting into when he took the job, he plays quite a dangerous but pretty sly game imo. His profile will be increasing all the time, once the inevitable happens he will hope to be in a much, much better standing than prior to be being appointed.

See the thing is he is very good at handling the media. He has clever and intricate judgement and this most of the time will paper over the problems (no striker and so on...) as they arise. Taking charge at a club like ours brings real pressure but this far he has handled it well. I agree when the rope runs out his profile will be much improved from before...

It's a dangerous game playing both sides though. While it's daft to suggest he should quit, there's every chance his employers might get itchy fingers if they think he is fishing for sympathy at their expense. If he loses his job not many Newcastle fans who he is trying to appease will give a flying fuck so he should perhaps choose his words with a bit more care IMO.

What do people expect?

"I didn't get a striker and I'm upset about that. Best is areet, Ba is unfit and Lovenkrands and Shola are shit. fuck me, we're in trouble"

Honestly, any excuse to stick the knife in :lol: He's trying to big up his clearly below-average strike force so we don't nosedive in the next few months.

I read this in the same way I read Llambias's statement about Mike Ashley not wanting to put his hands in his pocket whilst everyone thinks he is a cunt.

Maybe if everyone stops the nasty chants we can all be friends and get a striker in?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Something has to give

We either keep our mouths shut and hope he starts spending

Or

Drive him out. Affecting his sports direct adversely is the only way this will happen

Until either of these things happens Pardew is in limbo