Alan Pardew

JH

I was genuinely bored stupid watching us in the first half. I never thought i would feel like that watching Newcastle, especially in a game we are winning as I wouldn't normally care as winning is what's most important. But i couldn't believe that we just gave them the ball for the remainder of that half. I don't know if it was just arrogance from our lads thinking wolves were too weak to break us down. To be fair it did look like that maybe the case in the first half.

I thoroughly expected Pardew to give them a kick up the arse at half time and we would go on to get a 3rd and make the result certain but well we know what actually happened.

He's a Souness/Kinnear/Roeder calibre manager, and we knew that when he was appointed. The only tangible difference imo is that Ashley/Llambias' astute transfer policy (as communicated to us in a statement long before Pardew's arrival) has given us a squad with far more quality - players with the potential to move up to a CL club for big money, as opposed to going the other way, i.e. coming down from CL clubs as they approach the end of their careers - than what the previous lot had. But still, the negative and defeatist tactics, chaotic gameplans, rabbit-out-of-a-hat formations, bizarre substitutions, long balls, unwarranted favouritism, and lack of visible movement/drilling/coaching/preparation, are no different to what they were under the aforementioned managers.

Can't really complain because of where we are in the table though, but given that performances have been relatively poor throughout the season imo, and with recent results starting to reflect those performances, it's not unfair to be expecting his teams to be playing better given the talent at his disposal.

he's a frustrating manager, that guy from espn has got it right,  he said when pardew was at west ham they did not play attractive football , it was direct, hoof long ball, he said that about everyone of pardews teams play the exact same way.

he also said Alan Pardew was a con man, the type that would tell you his teams play attractive football but in actual fact its just direct football.  And also called Pardew an Egomaniac.

skip forward to 12:50

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/video_audio/61504.html?genre=6;sport=3

Wow, never seen that. The bald bloke is scarily accurate with what we have found out about Pardew during his time here. Ive seen him constantly go on about his teams have always played good football etc. When in reality since the day he took over we have been a long ball team. 

It worked when we had the Carroll-Barton-nolan thing going. Then with Best and Shola. Then with Ba and Shola. But as we saw today, long ball is just not going to work with Ba and Cisse. So unless he decides to bench Cisse for Shola we need to change and adapt to our new and better players.

except we haven't been a hoof ball team in general. no denying we have done it at times but in general we haven't. i'll give pardew the benefit so far in that we are doing well, table wise, and i can understand why, if that continues he'd stick with it. his big questions will come if the results stoop coming.

We haven't been a hoofball team or a passing team. That's probably one of the reasons Pardew keeps chopping and changing formations, because he isn't really sure how to put the players at his disposal to the best use. The team selections, formations, tactics and substitutions seem to change every week as he grasps for the best way to make use of the players available to him.

maybe mixing it has worked so far, or taking a horses for courses approach has worked. can get you so far.

If we were playing horses for courses approach I think we could have selected better horses for some of the courses tbh. I think it's been more a case of some horses showing their pedigree whatever the courses might have thrown up.

Mid season poll reset would be interesting. :)

Done. Results for posterity:

How has Alan Pardew done as Newcastle manager so far?

Brilliant

245 (40.8%)

Good

311 (51.8%)

OK

32 (5.3%)

Crap

3 (0.5%)

Terrible

9 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 599

PS: voted good before, voted good this time. I'm worried though, still needs to convince me he's capable of sustaining this kind of challenge.

Mid season poll reset would be interesting. :)

Done. Results for posterity:

How has Alan Pardew done as Newcastle manager so far?

Brilliant

245 (40.8%)

Good

311 (51.8%)

OK

32 (5.3%)

Crap

3 (0.5%)

Terrible

9 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 599

PS: voted good before, voted good this time. I'm worried though, still needs to convince me he's capable of sustaining this kind of challenge.

Nice one Dave.

Voted good before, but voted OK this time.

voted good twice before. voted ok this time. The more time you give, the more you learn obviously and I haven't seen anywhere near enough fluidity from us or attacking intent. I forgave the poor performances at the start-middle of the season because players were gelling and there was a lot to be worked out, obviously the results were superb and I just thought 'wow, we're getting these results and we're not even close to being a team yet' but as time has gone on, we've not looked anymore like a team and players have played far worse than their talent suggests they can play. I'm worried about our style of play and have been for a few months and it's not results that will change that for me, but performances. I am disappointed, more so because I feel we were sold a few cheap lies by Pardew about our style of play.

Pick it up Pards, stability will help us to success but no amount of stability coupled with poor management will get us anywhere. You have some great players and you'll get more in the summer, get the team playing as one.

Wouldn't go that far Toon's Taylor...

Put a fork in him, he's done for me like. End of the season would be perfect. We know when a player isn't good enough or when a player has topped out his potential and Pardew for me is in that boat. He's done his job, he won't take us further and is holding us back. We've got 8-9 players who are top class, best we've had in ages and he had 7-8 of them available today and he made us look like a conference team on a bad run of form.

I've found myself be surprisingly supportive of him, but have recently been quietly disappointed with his inability on match days but today really is the match that's got me pissed off to the point of I've lost faith,  and he's lost my support. I know I'll get it's too soon, I also know everyone will be saying the same thing in time, it's inevitable.

I'm starting to edge toward this after today's game. All season I've praised the overall job he's done but there's always been a nagging doubt, especially with the likes of Liverpool away and Brighton 'performances' and countless others really. Today was just a continuation of that scared negative defend first attack if they let you mindset, I even posted in the pre match thread saying it's a massive opportunity to get our attacking game going but we knew what we'd get, Pardew was true to form.

We started off the season with the aim of being hard to beat, we haven't progressed one inch as a team.

I honestly think that if we got a progressive, balanced manager in with an eye for how to attack teams some people would be surprised at how well the majority of our first team  can actually play football.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ff1WLFc94ms/TNzfJUw0BPI/AAAAAAAAATA/XBKYoqeukBM/s320/knee%2Bjerk.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/dhct5c.jpg

tbh id call it;

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/10125500/2/stock-photo-10125500-level-headed-businessman.jpg

seriously though, can you ever imagine sacking him with us in the shape we are in now?

I'm not really considering it currently. But most objections and criticisms of Pardew here are not knee- jerk reactions, they are long standing problems. For example; the style of football we play and the lies we were sold about the style of football we would play. In fact that ESPN video a few pages back shows that Pardew lying about his style of football is even more long standing than his time at this club!

I'm not really considering it currently. But most objections and criticisms of Pardew here are not knee- jerk reactions, they are long standing problems. For example; the style of football we play and the lies we were sold about the style of football we would play. In fact that ESPN video a few pages back shows that Pardew lying about his style of football is even more long standing than his time at this club!

Yes.... He 'knew' what we wanted to see.

Be stupid to judge him on today, man. Yes it was fucking woeful and coupled with Spurs and Fulham it looks terrible. Its an easy excuse to make that today was the first time in a while we've had our full team out, even though they had a good while to prepare for this, but it's a valid one for now. If we're shite against the mackems, then any conclusions made on today's performance will be more relevant.

The no fluidity and lack of attacking intent worry is one I share, but we've conceded a lot of fucking woeful goals of late, so also is our poor defensive record. Pardew brought this up in the post match interview today and I cringed, but you can see the arguement. We gained so many points early on in the season from not conceding. I'd much rather rely on Ba and Cisse scoring from limited chances as long as we don't concede rather than rely on outscoring the opposition concentrating on attack more than defense.

I'd love to watch great football week in week out,  not something I've had the chance to do much this season at all, but I'd much rather us finish top 6. The arguement is do we get there from being a team that takes the game to everyone or one that doesn't concede (Im fully aware a balance of both would be the best option, but that's asking to much I feel)? We're in a very privileged position to be worrying about what we are.

FWIW Im anti Pardew's conservative stance, anti Barfa not playing, anti Simpson and anti-Raylor, but we have far too many weak points for us to achieve what we're dreaming this season, so what do we address/what do we gamble while still maintaining the best chance possible to finish as high as possible?

A poor performance next week will speak volumes, and it's just unlucky that we're at this point playing the scum next week. I think we'd be able to understand a lot more if we played a different team next week. So for now we're just going to have to wait and continue to see what's done.

I dont see him playing Ben Arfa, I see Simpson playing as well as Raylor. The wrong choices in my opinion, but I'd rather let PArdew try for the moment and see if he starts getting it right again than get on his or certain players' back or ask for someone else. We're just not that good to be expecting that.