Alan Pardew

JH

Guest neesy111

Quite a few of the criticisms levied at Pardew, when they levied at Hughton, those same people were defending him. I know because I was doing the criticising (for example, see Colocho's comments about "we're only 6 points off the relegation zone. Things aren't going that great" - when I said that about Hughton, I thought I was going to get my eyes torn out)

I also had a go at Hughton when he made a mistake, that’s life.  The thing with Hughton was that he didn't have the flaws that were seeing from Pardew.  I do not believe for one minute that we would have seen the display against Stevenage under Hughton and we wouldn’t be going into the mackem game thread bare.  I have no doubt at all that we wouldn’t be going into the mackem game without Tiote if Hughton was still here.

My point is, Hughton makes a mistake and the majority stick up him. Pardew makes the same mistake and he gets criticised.

For what it's worth, I'm not defending him here, just playing devils advocate. I think he's at utter cunt and should learn to keep his mouth shut, the Stevenage performance was absolutely disgusting but I won't criticise his results overall because he's won 3 of the 4 of the games I'd have expected us to win - he's not doing a bad job.

Pretty much my feelings.  People were on hand to defend Hughton quite easily, but as soon as one mistake is done by Pardew then all hell breaks lose.

He's doing a much better job than I imagined and league results and performances have improved imo.

I must say his substitutions lost us the game against Stevenage, and as unpopular an opinion that it is, I thought his defensive changes against Wigan were ridiculous too - that shower of s*** were never going to score with us attacking, we had nothing to 'contain' in the second half - all it took was one lapse of concentration (which we're quite good at) or Wigan to find one touch of class, and it'd have been 1-1.

To be fair, neither did Birmingham for most of the 2nd half tonight but look what happened.

You can never say that the opposition won't score.

Not disagreeing by the way.

Guest neesy111

I must say his substitutions lost us the game against Stevenage, and as unpopular an opinion that it is, I thought his defensive changes against Wigan were ridiculous too - that shower of s*** were never going to score with us attacking, we had nothing to 'contain' in the second half - all it took was one lapse of concentration (which we're quite good at) or Wigan to find one touch of class, and it'd have been 1-1.

Easier to defend though when the game isn't stretched though, when the game is stretched is when you can easily concede and look at the way we defend when we back off teams on the counter as well,

Due to a 10 point deduction.

He had the biggest budget in that division and failed to make the play-offs which was his target and that was with the 10 points deduction.  Even without the deduction they would have only scraped into the play-offs.

Guest neesy111

The fact is as all managers will live by their results which have been OK imo apart from saturday of-course which I'm putting down mainly to the players.

Easier to defend though when the game isn't stretched though, when the game is stretched is when you can easily concede and look at the way we defend when we back off teams on the counter as well,

It's a shame he took the same approach at Stevenage. Who goes 4-5-1 at half time, with two players in positions where they don't work, when the game is 0-0?

Due to a 10 point deduction.

He had the biggest budget in that division and failed to make the play-offs which was his target and that was with the 10 points deduction.  Even without the deduction they would have only scraped into the play-offs.

They would have been 5th, just 3 points off automatic promotion.

Guest neesy111

It's a shame he took the same approach at Stevenage. Who goes 4-5-1 at half time, with two players in positions where they don't work, when the game is 0-0?

I won't and can't disagree there.  Awful tactics.  Shows the need for more attacking players though in the squad imo.

My point is, Hughton makes a mistake and the majority stick up him. Pardew makes the same mistake and he gets criticised.

For what it's worth, I'm not defending him here, just playing devils advocate. I think he's at utter c*** and should learn to keep his mouth shut, the Stevenage performance was absolutely disgusting but I won't criticise his results overall because he's won 3 of the 4 of the games I'd have expected us to win - he's not doing a bad job.

I honestly don't think Hughton would have been criticised for the things that Pardew is getting stick over because I don't think he would have done half of them.  And Pardew is supposed to be an upgrade so I'll judge him in that way.  I’m not giving Pardew the slack I would give to the person who got us promoted last season and had given us some fantastic results this season.

Make substitutions before the 75 minute mark as Hughton did in quite a few matches.  Subs can change games if used correctly and it did against Liverpool with the introductions of Ranger.

Who did the players say they'd won the game for?

Make substitutions before the 75 minute mark as Hughton did in quite a few matches.  Subs can change games if used correctly and it did against Liverpool with the introductions of Ranger.

Ranger replaced the injured Shola, that was hardly a decision that Pardew made.

They would have been 5th, just 3 points off automatic promotion.

At the beginning of that season he knew he had to finish in the top 6 and missed it by 7 points while he pushed on trying to win the Johnson Paint Trophy or whatever its called.

I won't and can't disagree there.  Awful tactics.  Shows the need for more attacking players though in the squad imo.

The attacking players weren't the problem, they were given nothing to work with by the same players who couldn't protect the defence.

People defending Pardew by pointing at the games he's won so far remind me of the hilarious mob who spent over a year pointing at Souness' long unbeaten run when he took over (ignoring that half the games were against a set of Israeli peasant village teams, who all played better than West Ham last week) and claiming it justified his position.

Pardew is already looking the total mug that he has previously proved himself to be and it will all come crashing down before long. I'm just glad we've already got a solid amount of points in the bag. :undecided:

People defending Pardew by pointing at the games he's won so far remind me of the hilarious mob who spent over a year pointing at Souness' long unbeaten run when he took over (ignoring that half the games were against a set of Israeli peasant village teams, who all played better than West Ham last week) and claiming it justified his position.

Pardew is already looking the total mug that he has previously proved himself to be and it will all come crashing down before long. I'm just glad we've already got a solid amount of points in the bag. :undecided:

I don't feel safe with our points total so far, I can see the team spirit taking a hit in the coming weeks if we get a few bad results and the finger pointing carries on.

Israeli peasant village teams :lol:

In Pardew's defence the league results have been more than satisfactory.

I do believe it will end in disaster though.

Watching the Stevenage game at my brothers my young nephew pipes up and gans 'I don't like him' when Pardew was giving his post match interview. No one likes him.

Agree with wullie that were lucky to have a good amount of points, because the way he's going on badmouthing players there'll be no morale left soon enough.

EDIT: Or basically what Mick said.

Will imo it wasn't the wrong decision at the time because while people will say he was bringing an DM the fact was the reason we were 2-0 down was because of our shocking midfield being overran by Stevenage and he wanted to bring Tiote on to remove that problem.  In hindsight it was, but hindsight is a wonderful thing that no-one can use sadly.

It had nothing to do with hindsight; Tiote is a defensive midfielder and is as unlikely as Alan Smith is when it comes to turning a 2-0 deficit around.  Replacing 1 man wasn’t going to change a game in which we probably had 7 or 8 players all playing below par.

Mick, you completely undervalue what Tiote brings to our midfield. He is a defesive midfielder only in name and people say that to simplify things but he is not in the mould of Smith or John Mikel Obi at all. His role is not just to stop play and get tackles in. He is more of the Essien, Xabi Alonso, Xavi (though obviously not at their level) in the sense that he dictates our tempo and how we pass the ball from defence to attack. Against Stevenage, without that link, even Colo decided to hoof the ball up because there was just no outlet. Passing it to a midifielder would have meant just losing the ball. True quite a few of our players underperformed against Stevenage but I would say that was largely because of Tiote's absence...that is how important he is to us. Without him players like Nolan, Barton have to try and do things on their own and let's just say that, that's not their strength at all.

Based on that, I can at least understand (though I disagree with the decision) why Pardew tried to gamble putting Tiote on, putting on another below average striker was not gonna change anything, it's not like we had Carroll on the subs bench. Having said that, if it was me I would not have risked putting Tiote on at all, in fact my view is that until we establish ourselves as a mid table club, the FA cup is the least of our concern, I would have just fielded our youngsters along with players like Ranger and Xisco and ask them to have a go at Stevenage.  

Your assertions that Hughton would have not done this or done that, like "I do not believe for one minute that we would have seen the display against Stevenage under Hughton" or "I have no doubt at all that we wouldn’t be going into the mackem game without Tiote if Hughton was still here" is unfortunately just that, bollocks assertion. Despite your best believe, nobody can say for sure what Hughton would have done.

All this coupled with the fact how you intentionally omitted the part that Pardew had a 10 point deduction when you come out with your super "Pardew had the highest budget in the division and his target was to reach a play-off position and he failed", tells me that you are either unable or unwilling to be objective in your assessment of Pardew. Stevenage aside (which yes I hold him accountable for), he has exceeded my expectations in the other 5 games. I have no doubt at all that we would have only got maximum 4 points under Hughton for those 5 games, two can play the bollocks assertion game.

Will imo it wasn't the wrong decision at the time because while people will say he was bringing an DM the fact was the reason we were 2-0 down was because of our shocking midfield being overran by Stevenage and he wanted to bring Tiote on to remove that problem.  In hindsight it was, but hindsight is a wonderful thing that no-one can use sadly.

It had nothing to do with hindsight; Tiote is a defensive midfielder and is as unlikely as Alan Smith is when it comes to turning a 2-0 deficit around.  Replacing 1 man wasn’t going to change a game in which we probably had 7 or 8 players all playing below par.

Mick, you completely undervalue what Tiote brings to our midfield. He is a defesive midfielder only in name and people say that to simplify things but he is not in the mould of Smith or John Mikel Obi at all. His role is not just to stop play and get tackles in. He is more of the Essien, Xabi Alonso, Xavi (though obviously not at their level) in the sense that he dictates our tempo and how we pass the ball from defence to attack. Against Stevenage, without that link, even Colo decided to hoof the ball up because there was just no outlet. Passing it to a midifielder would have meant just losing the ball. True quite a few of our players underperformed against Stevenage but I would say that was largely because of Tiote's absence...that is how important he is to us. Without him players like Nolan, Barton have to try and do things on their own and let's just say that, that's not their strength at all.

Based on that, I can at least understand (though I disagree with the decision) why Pardew tried to gamble putting Tiote on, putting on another below average striker was not gonna change anything, it's not like we had Carroll on the subs bench. Having said that, if it was me I would not have risked putting Tiote on at all, in fact my view is that until we establish ourselves as a mid table club, the FA cup is the least of our concern, I would have just fielded our youngsters along with players like Ranger and Xisco and ask them to have a go at Stevenage.  

Your assertions that Hughton would have not done this or done that, like "I do not believe for one minute that we would have seen the display against Stevenage under Hughton" or "I have no doubt at all that we wouldn’t be going into the mackem game without Tiote if Hughton was still here" is unfortunately just that, bollocks assertion. Despite your best believe, nobody can say for sure what Hughton would have done.

All this coupled with the fact how you intentionally omitted the part that Pardew had a 10 point deduction when you come out with your super "Pardew had the highest budget in the division and his target was to reach a play-off position and he failed", tells me that you are either unable or unwilling to be objective in your assessment of Pardew. Stevenage aside (which yes I hold him accountable for), he has exceeded my expectations in the other 5 games. I have no doubt at all that we would have only got maximum 4 points under Hughton for those 5 games, two can play the bollocks assertion game.

Some fantastic points  :thup:

So back to the important stuff...

...when is the poll going to be changed back to how it was when people voted? It's been flipped around and I'm not happy my vote has been altered! ;D ;D ;D

:thup: