Alan Pardew

JH

It was about 18 months ago that the forum went mad (I actually thought it was pretty positive news) when Hughton was appointed on a permanent basis. And it was less than 21 months back that I logged on to find a thread called 'Hughton is a yellow bellied coward', or something along those lines. He was universally disliked on here for a while.

It was a case of people didn't rate him rather than people didn't like him.

It's different with Pardew. Despite him averaging pretty much what Hughton did in the first half of the season, he's still pretty much hated and not-rated on here.

Even if he takes us back into Europe, some still won't budge. It's sad, but true.

don't agree with that. while hughton wasn't hated, there was plenty on here that didn't rate him. me included. but he won people over through hard work, a dignified approach, some sensible decisions regarding playing staff, transfers and tactics, good results and then finally performances on the pitch better than most expected.

that shows that people can be won over by a manager, and the same can happen with Pardew.

i think the way he was appointed counts against him, but it is nothing that can't be overcome through onfield success.

Except what you've just said is a longer version of what I said :laugh:

My point is, Hughton won people over through what you've just detailed. But he was liked too. Pardew isn't liked, so even if he does the same alot still won't budge.

It was about 18 months ago that the forum went mad (I actually thought it was pretty positive news) when Hughton was appointed on a permanent basis. And it was less than 21 months back that I logged on to find a thread called 'Hughton is a yellow bellied coward', or something along those lines. He was universally disliked on here for a while.

It's different with Pardew. Despite him averaging pretty much what Hughton did in the first half of the season, he's still pretty much hated and not-rated on here.

Even if he takes us back into Europe, some still won't budge. It's sad, but true.

don't agree with that. while hughton wasn't hated, there was plenty on here that didn't rate him. me included. but he won people over through hard work, a dignified approach, some sensible decisions regarding playing staff, transfers and tactics, good results and then finally performances on the pitch better than most expected.

that shows that people can be won over by a manager, and the same can happen with Pardew.

i think the way he was appointed counts against him, but it is nothing that can't be overcome through onfield success.

My point is, Hughton won people over through what you've just detailed. But he was liked too. Pardew isn't liked, so even if he does the same alot still won't budge.

fair enough, but i still think just about everyone would change their mind about pardew being "not-rated" if he was a success. bar one or two idiots who aren't worth paying attention to.

fair enough, but i still think just about everyone would change their mind about pardew being "not-rated" if he was a success. bar one or two idiots who aren't worth paying attention to.

I know a few of those, you can see them from the way they write in this thread. But yes seriously, it would be interesting to see how fans would react if Pardew was successful say maybe get us to qualify for Europe in 2013.

Spot on Johnnypd.

Is anyone else a bit worried with some of his team selections of late?  He's had his hands tied with the players available, but some of the line ups we've seen have had me a bit goosed. 

S.taylor at right back, Simpson right wing against Everton.  The 3-5-2 at Stoke, and then including S.Taylor against Villa which shifted our best defender to centre mid. 

We've not exactly got a great defensive record, but our back 4 usually looks fairly solid, it certainly does when compared to some of our defences in recent years.  However, Pardew, for whatever reason has tinkered with it in the 3 games mentioned and we've shipped 7 goals against pretty mediocre opposition. 

In all 3 there was a chance to just play someone like Ferguson, Guthrie or even Raylor.  The last two mentioned are not the most talented I know, but I don't think it would have had such big effect on the team and they would have been compotent at filling in on the flanks.

Jury is still out on Pardew.  We have improved in some areas and it's unfair to judge him just yet.  Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer.

I quite enjoyed his phone in, but at the same time he's constantly contradicting himself and I feel he tries to hard to give the fans good news.  Just feels like a massive kick in the bollocks when his comments end up being well wide of the mark.

He learned from the failed experiment playing 3-5-2.

Moving Colo to CM in hindsight looks slightly dodgy, but as we've discussed before he obviously wanted to keep Barton out wide. He was hamstrung by injuries and suspensions against Villa, anything but a defeat would have been amazing.

I don't think either are cause to worry that much. 

He was talking out of his arse during that phone-in the other week, if the Villa game is anything to go by. He acknowledged that he'd made mistakes by shifting the defense around away from home. Then went and did the exact same thing which saw us lose horrendously again. We didn't need to play Coloccini in midfield for goodness sake.

What's particularly frustrating about us having another new manager, is that he's got to learn about the squad all over again. I don't think there'll be wholesale changes in the summer so it's annoying that we've got to go through the whole process of a manager making mistakes and learning from them, again.

He learned from the failed experiment playing 3-5-2.

Moving Colo to CM in hindsight looks slightly dodgy, but as we've discussed before he obviously wanted to keep Barton out wide. He was hamstrung by injuries and suspensions against Villa, anything but a defeat would have been amazing.

I don't think either are cause to worry that much. 

Like I said, unfair to judge him just yet.  I just hope that he learns from his mistakes, as the tactics and team selection was all wrong before a ball was even kicked in those games.

The performance was horrendous.

The fundamental problem with the changes against Stoke was that we'd moved the defense around. The defense is the crux of our team cos it contains our best players - especially if Nolan and Tiote aren't in the squad.

He went and did the same thing against Villa. Infuriating, and not just 'with hindsight'.

The performance was horrendous.

The fundamental problem with the changes against Stoke was that we'd moved the defense around. The defense is the crux of our team cos it contains our best players - especially if Nolan and Tiote aren't in the squad.

He went and did the same thing against Villa. Infuriating, and not just 'with hindsight'.

But at the same time, everyone has been saying for weeks that Joey Barton should never be played in CM again. So Pardew's options were limited, unless he went for something totally suicidal like Ryan Taylor in the middle.

Really think we're reading too much into the Villa result... the main issue was the lack of decent players.

Guest Chubby Jason

I'm no fan of his at all but the result against Villa was down to a huge amount of injuries and suspensions if we had Nolan, Tiote and Best/Shola back we'd have got a result.

Guest Vinkent

I can never see how people judge managers over one game. Fair enough to whinge on if theyve made some bad decisions but the real judgement lies in whether they move on and make amends for these mistakes in the next 2/3 games after. Hughton would have been our best manager ever if we only ever looked at the Villa home game but no, just like Pardew does, he had his faults too.

I can never see how people judge managers over one game. Fair enough to whinge on if theyve made some bad decisions but the real judgement lies in whether they move on and make amends for these mistakes in the next 2/3 games after. Hughton would have been our best manager ever if we only ever looked at the Villa home game but no, just like Pardew does, he had his faults too.

Who is judging him on one game then?

Guest Vinkent

Not anyone in particular here but when I've been to the past few games there's a massive amount of see-sawing opinions from week to week on him depending on what the result is. Wish some people would just have some time to think and not hit the roof about everything.

Not anyone in particular here but when I've been to the past few games there's a massive amount of see-sawing opinions from week to week on him depending on what the result is. Wish some people would just have some time to think and not hit the roof about everything.

Most football fans are like that to some degree, just some worse than others.  For example, when Leon Best scored his hat trick against West Ham, it was hilarious.  People who had been saying how shite he was for months on end suddenly said "oh he's a great finisher" "I knew he'd come good" "Quality striker, going to get better and better" and then started singing his name!

Fans are fickle by their very nature, just varying degrees of fickleness.