Alan Pardew

JH

because the trannsfer window shuts in september then we have to have at least a week or two to see what he;s done with the window. i'd have thought that was pretty basic.

OK, so you're basically giving him the transfer window.

yes.....and no. he could bring in players we have little idea about (tiote style) so it's pointless judging them/him till we've had a chance to see what they can do.

he will be judged on the window but only when we've had a chance to see it and that wont be till october at the earliest (unless he does sign carlton cole and matty upson)

W 6, D 9, L 7. 27 points in 20 games

Averaged out over a season it would have got us 8th, just behind Everton.

Scrub that I can't add up. 27 in 22.  Would have taken us to 46 points in 38 which...

Pardew out!

That's a bit freaky!

even the summer may not tell, the autumn will be a better guide.

Why Autumn?

Be fair Mick, judge him after the summer/in January/next summer/after next summer. Souness-esque, then everyone will claim they knew he was s*** all along, like they did with that fool.

Pretty sure everyone thought Souness was s*** all along. Didn't they?

i gave him far too much time, waiting for injuries to clear up etc.

Never wanted him. He had the benefit of a first season in which all he had to do was rescue us from a brink that probably never existed. That gave him kudos in some quarters. Not much different from Pardew in that respect, imo. FWIW, I hated Souness from the off and I bloody detest Pardew. Let's see what happens in summer.

i never wanted him, but i gave him a chance, due to injuries etc that length of that chance seemed to get longer and longer and i was wrong.

W 6, D 9, L 7. 27 points in 20 games

Averaged out over a season it would have got us 8th, just behind Everton.

Pretty decent return considering all the injurys and suspensions imo, and this in our first season back in the EPL.

Why Autumn?

Be fair Mick, judge him after the summer/in January/next summer/after next summer. Souness-esque, then everyone will claim they knew he was s*** all along, like they did with that fool.

Never wanted him. He had the benefit of a first season in which all he had to do was rescue us from a brink that probably never existed. That gave him kudos in some quarters. Not much different from Pardew in that respect, imo. FWIW, I hated Souness from the off and I bloody detest Pardew. Let's see what happens in summer.

i never wanted him, but i gave him a chance, due to injuries etc that length of that chance seemed to get longer and longer and i was wrong.

So how long does Pardew get? He's no better than Souness, so it's ultimately about ambition, isn't it?

Why Autumn?

So how long does Pardew get? He's no better than Souness, so it's ultimately about ambition, isn't it?

so far i'd say he's better than souness. purely personal reading of it and it seems more like he's managing than hughton was just the figurehead.....but how long ? probably october/november.

I wonder how much faith Ashley has in him. If he starts next season badly...

He can be sacked for very little money so I don't think Ashley would care too much in that regard but his 5 year contract would suggest some faith.

Souness put his ego before the team. I've seen no real evidence that Pardew will do the same.

Plus, Souness had us in 16th with a side far better than this rubbish - as Roeder demonstrated from Feb onwards. Souness was inept in every respect.

The fact Pardew got a 5 and a half year contract still irks me.  Most were fucked off about the Hughton business at the time and they seemed to do that out of pure pigheadedness.  I nod my head when I read Wullie's reservations about giving this guy money to spend in the summer.  We'll see I suppose.

OK, suppose we accept Pardew isn't good enough, what do you suggest? Bin him?

Unfortunately not, we need to stop sacking managers as often as we do or we'll never move on.  That's not me being a hypocrite, it's a different answer to a different question.  We’ll never get a decent manager unless we look like a club who gives managers a chance.

The fact Pardew got a 5 and a half year contract still irks me.  Most were f***ed off about the Hughton business at the time and they seemed to do that out of pure pigheadedness.  I nod my head when I read Wullie's reservations about giving this guy money to spend in the summer.  We'll see I suppose.

I think we've got to give him money, I would hate to go through next season with what we currently have.

The fact Pardew got a 5 and a half year contract still irks me.  Most were f***ed off about the Hughton business at the time and they seemed to do that out of pure pigheadedness.  I nod my head when I read Wullie's reservations about giving this guy money to spend in the summer.  We'll see I suppose.

I think we've got to give him money, I would hate to go through next season with what we currently have.

Correct. In my mind, we've Sounessed this right up again. Appointed the wrong man who we have to back regardless.