Alan Pardew

JH

Pardew's real test will come next season if we get these signings through the door. We saw with Souness having quality players at your disposal isn't much use if you don't know how to put a team together. That said I like the way Pardew is quite thorough in team preparation and he's getting the type of players I would want him to. I think he will do well personally.

That's why I find people saying "Pardew is the new Souness!" are just morons. Souness had a complete disregard and blatant lack of interest in tactics and systems. Whatever you think of how Pardew sets his teams up, and the tactical tinkering he sometimes does, you can't accuse him of being not bothered about formations and systems etc.

I don't get why Souness seemed to think that players working hard and players organized into a certain system were mutually exclusive, they clearly aren't and clearly will work best in tandem.

The thing I'm optimistic over with Pardew is that he actually likes to attack if he can, doesn't seem to just want to play 'percentage' football. I feel if he's got the players at his disposal, he will let us attack, with good organisation, rather than play the most dire of dire football. Aimed at both Souness and Fat Sam.

The thing I'm optimistic over with Pardew is that he actually likes to attack if he can, doesn't seem to just want to play 'percentage' football. I feel if he's got the players at his disposal, he will let us attack, with good organisation, rather than play the most dire of dire football. Aimed at both Souness and Fat Sam.

:thup: And Ian's too :thup:

Guest magpie99

I will not be convinced until 31st August when we can see what squad he has. It is not aimed at him but more so at Ashley, on whether he is prepared to fund Pardew with the proceeds from the Carroll/Enrique? sales to make us a more attack minded team.

One thing I do like is the fact he is prepared to blood the youngsters at some stage. Ferguson will turn out to be a diamond and despite his deficiencies, it is time to hand Krul the jumper full time. Looks like Tavernier is being groomed as back up to Simpson and Kadar seems to be rated highly too.

I also think it is vital that Ranger and Vukic go out on season long loans next season, possibly Airey too. It can only help.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting quote from Cabaye in the Journal today re Pardew..

he said Pardew’s commitment to quick, passing football meant he couldn’t sign quickly enough.

I really like Alan Pardew’s strategy and how he told me he wants to play.

“I heard of other interest but I didn’t hesitate for one second to join Newcastle because they have an ambitious project.”

Got to be said that, the signing of Cabaye, plus all of the other transfer speculation - it looks like Pardew's got a decent brand of football in mind.

I didn't think i would get to this stage but i'm genuinely quite excited to see where we're going under this manager. Obviously, it's early days with regards to transfer targets, but the calibre and style of player we're clearly after is promising.

"Genuinely".

Used to be my word, now it's definitely, genuinely Yorkie's.

Agree, btw. Have been overly excited about this summer/next season for a little while now, but what's new?

:laugh: Hadn't noticed, but now you mention it... probably need to broaden my lexical choices methinks.

A search is quite revealing (and not just in that the search functioned actually worked).

You're beating me 6 pages to 4 these days, when a few years ago I'm sure I would have had a comfortable lead.

...It is all very positive though, in regards to Cabaye and his comments. Granted you're not going to get a new signing saying anything other, but with the anticipated pairing of him and Tiote either as a two or in a three with one of Barton/Nolan or another new signing, we're not going to be shy of players wanting the ball and looking to take responsibility in there, while actually being capable of doing something when they have it as well. Will be nice.

If he does manage to add a quality striker and another player capable of beating a man to play in front of them, things are looking very bright indeed.

he said Pardew’s commitment to quick, passing football meant he couldn’t sign quickly enough.

“I heard of other interest but I didn’t hesitate for one second to join Newcastle because they have an ambitious project.”

And from the Chron -

“There was talk of Liverpool and Arsenal, but Newcastle were the club who made the move for me, and I really like Alan Pardew’s strategy and how he told me he wants to play.

“I heard of other interest, but I didn’t hesitate for one second to join Newcastle because they have an ambitious project.”

Good to see Pardew selling the club well. :thup:

And from the Chron -

“There was talk of Liverpool and Arsenal, but Newcastle were the club who made the move for me, and I really like Alan Pardew’s strategy and how he told me he wants to play.

“I heard of other interest, but I didn’t hesitate for one second to join Newcastle because they have an ambitious project.”

"Well Arsenal have got Fabregas so you'll not play there, Liverpool have just spunked £20m on Henderson...you can get in ahead of Guthrie mind."

And from the Chron -

"Well Arsenal have got Fabregas so you'll not play there, Liverpool have just spunked £20m on Henderson...you can get in ahead of Guthrie mind."

:hmm:

:laugh:

And from the Chron -

Fair play on that one :thup: Glad to hear he's had some significant role in the signing.