Alan Pardew

JH

pardew saying our first target is still 40 points, it's nice to be realistic alan but i think that ship may have sailed, we should be aiming higher this year

It's a dangerous game that, we've heard managers say that before about their fast starting teams, problem is when they eventually reach that 40 point target, those teams often switch off and lose focus.

If I were him I would be just saying that we are trying to gain as many points as we can and we'll just see where that leaves us, no reason at all why he can not privately target a top 7 or 8 finish.

pardew saying our first target is still 40 points, it's nice to be realistic alan but i think that ship may have sailed, we should be aiming higher this year

I agree, I can understand not wanting to raise expectations too high, but really, we should be aiming a lot higher now and it's not necessary to dampen enthusiasm and ambition within reason. The top 6 is probably pretty much set - although not unassailable by any means - but the 7-10th spots will probably be fought out by Everton, Stoke, Villa and ourselves. We shouldn't be looking anywhere below that.

It's a dangerous game that, we've heard managers say that before about their fast starting teams, problem is when they eventually reach that 40 point target, those teams often switch off and lose focus.

If I were him I would be just saying that we are trying to gain as many points as we can and we'll just see where that leaves us, no reason at all why he can not privately target a top 7 or 8 finish.

Every season should always target 40 points first then create new targets. Helps prevent us having seasons like the one when we got relegated.

Note the highlighted word.

We know the clubs aim was a top 10 finish this season, expectations will have no doubt been raised after the fantastic start to the season but a top 8 finish will be a great achievement in his first full season.

Note the highlighted word.

We know the clubs aim was a top 10 finish this season, expectations will have no doubt been raised after the fantastic start to the season but a top 8 finish will be a great achievement in his first full season.

that's a fair point and i agree a top 8 would be good stuff. still think it's a little bit over negative for him to be saying though, just continue to say our target is top 10 if you have to say anything at all

I think it's a very sensible thing for him to say, keeps people focussed on the task at hand. Let's not forget, we were relegated a few seasons ago. When we acheive the 40 points, that's when we can see where we are in terms of the league and what the goals can be for the remaining fixtures. For what it's worth, I believe he's going to motivate the team to aim towards a top 8 or 7 finish.

Every season should always target 40 points first then create new targets. Helps prevent us having seasons like the one when we got relegated.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

And we need some clarity, why is he a c***?

He's a proven liar, dishonest and someone I'd class as a snide. He's a bull shiter in short and a bit of a cunt as a result. Just my opinion of course but hey that's how I see him, as a bit of a cunt.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's doing a good job but he's still a c***, I still believe he's a s*** manager and I still don't like him. Mind he's in good company as I don't like the owner, the managing director or half the players or even the game itself these days.

I agree, flying high in the CL spots, playing attractive passing football with pace is no consolation when we know the bastards who run this club have spent £200m on buying a football club just to take the p*ss out of Geordies

:fishing:

Attractive passing football with pace? A few glimpses against Blackburn hide what has been a hit and miss type of game we've played not just this season but from the start under Pardew. Pass and move :lol: did you watch the QPR game or even the game against Arsenal where in the main we were awful on the ball. As for pace... Obertan is quick and so if Ba it seems but its not like we are blitzing sides is it. I'm more impressed with our defensive game and our work rate more than our so-called passing game.

Pardew has overhauled our squad this summer under heavy constraints, began the process of changing the style of play to a more attractive one and added pace, we're unbeaten in league and cup in October and you're not that impressed with him?

Speechless.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's doing a good job but he's still a c***, I still believe he's a s*** manager and I still don't like him. Mind he's in good company as I don't like the owner, the managing director or half the players or even the game itself these days.

http://satgnu.net/upload/lavacroft/images/random/gif/how_to_slit_wrist.gif

Noted. :lol:

I'm willing to accept HTT in another of his many dips (Quelle surprise!) still harbours grudges against the owner and staff, even the game of football itself, but I have to say that we have the most likeable bunch of players I've known for years and years, so I'd be intrigued who the horrid half are?

I am that fan at the moment so you're right and that's why I'm such a wrist slitter if you like :lol:

Regarding our players of course they are likeable because we are winning. Wait until we are not, or wait until one of them doesn't get a huge fat new deal or gets dropped. They are mostly mercanaries in it for themselves. Very few club men at NUFC if at all. Went when Given left. Its sad I know but I just can't get all lovey dovey with any of them so these days I don't idolise the players or their feats, I'm a badge man, in that that's all I care about and worship. Given for examople was a great player for us, loyal servent etc. so I should therefore like him but I don't, I want nothing but the worst for him in the remainder of his career, loved it when he couldn't get a game at City and now he's at Villa :lo: same applies to Carroll, Jose, Barton etc. Fuck them all. I know sad, but that's how I feel.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew has overhauled our squad this summer under heavy constraints, began the process of changing the style of play to a more attractive one and added pace, we're unbeaten in league and cup in October and you're not that impressed with him?

Speechless.

He's doing a good job as I've said but I'm not impressed no, I don't see any real game plan or style. We are certainly not this pass and move pacey team Tron seems to think we are. We work hard and keep going and have had some good fortune and a decent set of fixtures to set us on our way, that and new signings giving the side a shot on the arm if you like. Want to impress me? Do what Sir Bobby did and transorm a poor to average side into a good one, both in terms of football played and results. Or got to the Emirates and win, or beat Villa 6-0. Or win promotion in your debut season as a manager at a canter when there is huge pressure on you, when everyone is looking for another Leeds to happen. That's impressive. Pardew is doing a good job all things considered but he's not impressing me and I'm certain things are about to go awry soon for him and us and he doesn't have it in his locker in terms of plans and skills to stave that off.

Speechless.

He's doing a good job as I've said but I'm not impressed no, I don't see any real game plan or style. We are certainly not this pass and move pacey team Tron seems to think we are. We work hard and keep going and have had some good fortune and a decent set of fixtures to set us on our way, that and new signings giving the side a shot on the arm if you like. Want to impress me? Do what Sir Bobby did and transorm a poor to average side into a good one, both in terms of football played and results. Or got to the Emirates and win, or beat Villa 6-0. Or win promotion in your debut season as a manager at a canter when there is huge pressure on you, when everyone is looking for another Leeds to happen. That's impressive. Pardew is doing a good job all things considered but he's not impressing me and I'm certain things are about to go awry soon for him and us and he doesn't have it in his locker in terms of plans and skills to stave that off.

I disagree .  :smug:

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT, I usually agree with your posts on here but I think you're doing him a massive disservice here and allowing your opinions of him as a man clowd your judgement on him as a manager.

Maybe you're right. I mean I'd love nothing more than to like the bloke but he's just not likeable for me and although as a Toon fan I'm enjoying our decent results I am not so much enjoying our football and worruy that we'll come unstuck soon and will linger as a mid-table side which the appointment of Pardew was meant to help us overcome.

HTT, I usually agree with your posts on here but I think you're doing him a massive disservice here and allowing your opinions of him as a man clowd your judgement on him as a manager.

Maybe you're right. I mean I'd love nothing more than to like the bloke but he's just not likeable for me and although as a Toon fan I'm enjoying our decent results I am not so much enjoying our football and worruy that we'll come unstuck soon and will linger as a mid-table side which the appointment of Pardew was meant to help us overcome.

I never used to rate him at all as a manager before he came here and as recently as a couple of weeks ago I still was a million miles away from being convinced. I thought he'd be an unmitigated disaster tbh but the more the games go by the more I am starting to like him.

I read an article fairly recently that spoke about the fact he's apparently very maticulous with his preparation in terms of tactics and drilling of the players. That and when he speaks about his plans for certain players (Cabaye and Ben Arfa in particular) it makes me think that he might have a bit more about him than the bog standard coach. Infact, the only thing I can really fault him on this season is his use of substitutes and as of yet they haven't really cost us. I think the football is gradually improving too and that is without a few pieces of the jigsaw yet to fall into place (including the most important of them all in Ben Arfa). I know some people like to criticise him because it's their default setting but I'm honestly finding it very hard to fault the job he's doing. As a person, well, he may be a cunt. Even if he is I personally couldn't care less so long as the results and progress on the pitch hold up.