Alan Pardew

JH

Plenty of people defended his sacking on the basis of results. I can only hope they'll be of the same opinion about Pardew after today, because that was a dreadful result, all his fault, and doing otherwise will only expose their hypocrisy.

Against a side with the worst away record in the whole league.

Probably wrong to be too critical but i think he has got it wrong the last two games in preferring sammy to hatem. Unless Ben Arfa has done something behind the scenes but then he should'nt be on the bench if he has.

This behind the scenes thing doesn't make sense or why put him on the bench?

It's not like we didn't have the CM cover today to change it and play shorter and through the middle when lumping a lot of balls into the area wasn't working.

I wouldn't say there was plenty like.

Aye, in fairness I can't remember too many people being thrilled at his sacking, which as others have pointed out, was not result-related anyway IMO.

It was more people twisting history after the event that was the issue - trying to justify why they'd seen the back of him. Only a fairly small portion agreed with the decision at the time, it's true.

People who think Pardew is any good need to explain what he's good at.  Does he bring in players?  We are told that Carr scouts abroad and Pardew wanted Obertan so it's a minus so far with that one.

He seems to be decent at man-managing his favoured players so that's a plus.

He doesn't seem able to change games too often with his substitution and when he does make changes they are usually late and create havoc amongst our own players as we lose any shape we've had.

What is he good at?

As far as todays team goes, he got 9 or 10 players right and they probably picked themselves so he did nothing exceptional with picking the team and I think an injury to Ryan Taylor forced his hand a little. 

The only decisions after that were who to bring on and when and I think he got that wrong.  We were playing against a team who were threatening nothing and they looked as if they were more interested in keeping us to 0 than trying to score a goal.  We were playing balls into the middle in the air and they defended them easily so our first change was to take an ineffective Best off and replace him like for like, with an ineffective Shola.

Why didn’t we try to do something different and either bring on Vuckic or Ben Arfa who would have tried to do something other than hoofing the ball into the Swansea box?  The only two people who looked like they might get something for us were Ba who was making chances from nothing, and Coloccini who looked like he might get something from a corner.  It's not as if we were battering them, we were just hoying the ball in and hoping that something might drop to us.

If something isn’t working then it’s up to us to change what we’re doing and we didn’t, we were clueless and it wasn’t because we didn’t have other options, it was because we didn’t bother to use them.  Even when we did make changes it was far too late to change the way that we were playing and virtually every person beside me was calling for changes long before the ditherer made them.

Find it laughable anyone even debating sacking Pardew.

Luckily nobody is.

Laughable that people are comparing this situation to the Hughton one then, given that we're currently 6th only a couple of points off 5th, compared to 11th when we were by no means guaranteed of staying up.

People who think Pardew is any good need to explain what he's good at.  Does he bring in players?  We are told that Carr scouts abroad and Pardew wanted Obertan so it's a minus so far with that one.

He doesn't seem able to change games too often with his substitution and when he does make changes they are usually late and create havoc amongst our own players as we lose any shape we've had.

What is he good at?

As far as todays team goes, he got 9 or 10 players right and they probably picked themselves so he did nothing exceptional with picking the team and I think an injury to Ryan Taylor forced his hand a little. 

The only decisions after that were who to bring on and when and I think he got that wrong.  We were playing against a team who were threatening nothing and they looked as if they were more interested in keeping us to 0 than trying to score a goal.  We were playing balls into the middle in the air and they defended them easily so our first change was to take an ineffective Best off and replace him like for like, with an ineffective Shola.

Why didn’t we try to do something different and either bring on Vuckic or Ben Arfa who would have tried to do something other than hoofing the ball into the Swansea box?  The only two people who looked like they might get something for us were Ba who was making chances from nothing, and Coloccini who looked like he might get something from a corner.  It's not as if we were battering them, we were just hoying the ball in and hoping that something might drop to us.

If something isn’t working then it’s up to us to change what we’re doing and we didn’t, we were clueless and it wasn’t because we didn’t have other options, it was because we didn’t bother to use them.  Even when we did make changes it was far too late to change the way that we were playing and virtually every person beside me was calling for changes long before the ditherer made them.

The only positive I'd give him is that the work he put in over the summer on the defensive side of the team seems to have paid dividends, especially when you build in the Enrique loss.

That's all he'll get from me though because I've never taken to the guy.

If Pardew is sacked and replaced by a sacked league one manager nobody should complain about it of course. Wouldn't want posts being dragged up in hindsight.

The only positive I'd give him is that the work he put in over the summer on the defensive side of the team seems to have paid dividends, especially when you build in the Enrique loss.

I think getting Nolan out of midfield has helped the defence as we're not carrying a player who has the movement of the QE2 but you're right when we have our best players we defend better.

What is he good at?

Where was this post earlier on in the season when we were winning?

A few bad results and it's like people are running after reasons to criticize.

Pardew probably isn't a top manager, I'm not sure anyone thought he was apart from the fact he's doing an excellent job.

The position we're currently in is better than where we're probably at.

Luckily nobody is.

Laughable that people are comparing this situation to the Hughton one then, given that we're currently 6th only a couple of points off 5th, compared to 11th when we were by no means guaranteed of staying up.

I didn't bring it up myself, but I suppose the reason it was is because of the point I made - a lot of people did start making out it was written in the stars and a good move to chuck someone who obviously lacked big team 'class'. It's them who need to justify why they won't want Pardew out if results don't pick up soon, because they should be consistent in talking patent bollocks.

We weren't that far off 5th when Hughton went by the way, and guaranteed not to go down in my view. Moreso than now, even, not that I now expect us to in the slightest.

11th and closer to a relegation battle than now that's for sure.

I'm sure were in the same position at the end of the season, 12th when Pardew (the upgrade) took over.

Ya, sure Chris would have worked wonders with Lovenkrands and Best upfront all season.

I think getting Nolan out of midfield has helped the defence as we're not carrying a player who has the movement of the QE2 but you're right when we have our best players we defend better.

Yup - agree on both counts. The downside being he should have been more aggresive on the Pieters/A.N Other Defender deal and maybe we wouldn't have thrown away points due to lack of depth.

Luckily nobody is.

I didn't bring it up myself, but I suppose the reason it was is because of the point I made - a lot of people did start making out it was written in the stars and a good move to chuck someone who obviously lacked big team 'class'. It's them who need to justify why they won't want Pardew out if results don't pick up soon, because they should be consistent in talking patent bollocks.

We weren't that far off 5th when Hughton went by the way, and guaranteed not to go down in my view. Moreso than now, even, not that I now expect us to in the slightest.

Pointless comparing the two because Hughton was sacked because he wasn't a yes man. Same reason Shearer didn't get the job and the only reason Pardew did get the job.

So, in that respect, football/results pretty much go out of the window.

Got his subs wrong today and he should explain the reasoning behind his choices. Apparently he has said they are still being 'careful' with Ben Arfa, but I'm not sure if that washes.

Be disappointing if true. He's been back fit for a while now and he's only going to get match fit with minutes on the pitch.

Luckily nobody is.

Pointless comparing the two because Hughton was sacked because he wasn't a yes man. Same reason Shearer didn't get the job and the only reason Pardew did get the job.

So, in that respect, football/results pretty much go out of the window.

Agreed, as I say, it's just for those who say he should have gone for football/results reasons that should explain themselves. I've said in the past, the reason it's a bugbear of mine is because these people are cunts slagging off an NUFC icon who did us a serious fucking turn. It's not a Pardew issue for me now.

I'm firmly in the Hughton shouldn't of been sacked camp but that season we had lost to Blackpool, Stoke and Blackburn at home while drawing with Wigan and Fulham. If there was one issue with Hughton's reign it was our home form against supposed lesser opposition in the league. In comparison, for me, this is the first poor result we've had all season.

A few bad results and it's like people are running after reasons to criticize.

Pardew probably isn't a top manager, I'm not sure anyone thought he was apart from the fact he's doing an excellent job.

The position we're currently in is better than where we're probably at.

The above post wasn't needed earlier in the season as we were getting away with things which we're not now.  We got away with Ryan Taylor being unable to defend.  We got away with Obertan delivering very little and we got away with not making changes sooner but luck played a part in that.  We're now seeing a manager who isn't carrying luck and he's not getting the results and it's highlighting his limitations now more than it was earlier in the season.

Also, I don’t think I’ve said anything above that I haven’t said before, I just haven’t said them together.

What is he good at?

In fairness to mick, he's always said Pardew was wank. I don't think Pardew's a great manager and I certainly don't think he's a poor one. But he has a major problem with rating players. He sees things that other people don't see, I don't know if it was baseless rumours but I remember hearing that he was really keen on Carlton Cole among others...

Guest Howaythetoon

After we went a few games unbeaten we were beating teams mainly because of our confidence, team spirit and the fact that defensively we were strong. Now we don't have that confidence because we are having a poor run and that defence has been breached hugely in recent games so now we need tactics and good team selections to see us through and that isn't happening. Pardew is getting our lineup, tactics and subs wrong. We should be beating teams line Swansea at home. That said we have kept a clean sheet and stopped the losing streak and lie 6th in the table with a winnable game in midweek. Do so and things will be looking up again. Jan is going to be huge for us. Pardew needs to pick a better more balanced side and needs to sort his tactics out and indeed his subs.