Alan Pardew

JH

People who think Pardew is any good need to explain what he's good at.  Does he bring in players?  We are told that Carr scouts abroad and Pardew wanted Obertan so it's a minus so far with that one.

He seems to be decent at man-managing his favoured players so that's a plus.

He doesn't seem able to change games too often with his substitution and when he does make changes they are usually late and create havoc amongst our own players as we lose any shape we've had.

What is he good at?

As far as todays team goes, he got 9 or 10 players right and they probably picked themselves so he did nothing exceptional with picking the team and I think an injury to Ryan Taylor forced his hand a little. 

The only decisions after that were who to bring on and when and I think he got that wrong.  We were playing against a team who were threatening nothing and they looked as if they were more interested in keeping us to 0 than trying to score a goal.  We were playing balls into the middle in the air and they defended them easily so our first change was to take an ineffective Best off and replace him like for like, with an ineffective Shola.

Why didn’t we try to do something different and either bring on Vuckic or Ben Arfa who would have tried to do something other than hoofing the ball into the Swansea box?  The only two people who looked like they might get something for us were Ba who was making chances from nothing, and Coloccini who looked like he might get something from a corner.  It's not as if we were battering them, we were just hoying the ball in and hoping that something might drop to us.

If something isn’t working then it’s up to us to change what we’re doing and we didn’t, we were clueless and it wasn’t because we didn’t have other options, it was because we didn’t bother to use them.  Even when we did make changes it was far too late to change the way that we were playing and virtually every person beside me was calling for changes long before the ditherer made them.

Thus far he seems good at getting results out of a limited squad.

Ya, sure Chris would have worked wonders with Lovenkrands and Best upfront all season.

So are you saying Pardew is only a better manager when he has better players that somebody else has found for him?

Not when he has to use that limited squad.  Anyway, I've said what I want to say for now and don't want to keep repeating myself.

Not when he has to use that limited squad.  Anyway, I've said what I want to say for now and don't want to keep repeating myself.

I think you're being very harsh, I'll type a more detailed responce in the morning.

People who think Pardew is any good need to explain what he's good at.  Does he bring in players?  We are told that Carr scouts abroad and Pardew wanted Obertan so it's a minus so far with that one.

He doesn't seem able to change games too often with his substitution and when he does make changes they are usually late and create havoc amongst our own players as we lose any shape we've had.

What is he good at?

As far as todays team goes, he got 9 or 10 players right and they probably picked themselves so he did nothing exceptional with picking the team and I think an injury to Ryan Taylor forced his hand a little. 

The only decisions after that were who to bring on and when and I think he got that wrong.  We were playing against a team who were threatening nothing and they looked as if they were more interested in keeping us to 0 than trying to score a goal.  We were playing balls into the middle in the air and they defended them easily so our first change was to take an ineffective Best off and replace him like for like, with an ineffective Shola.

Why didn’t we try to do something different and either bring on Vuckic or Ben Arfa who would have tried to do something other than hoofing the ball into the Swansea box?  The only two people who looked like they might get something for us were Ba who was making chances from nothing, and Coloccini who looked like he might get something from a corner.  It's not as if we were battering them, we were just hoying the ball in and hoping that something might drop to us.

If something isn’t working then it’s up to us to change what we’re doing and we didn’t, we were clueless and it wasn’t because we didn’t have other options, it was because we didn’t bother to use them.  Even when we did make changes it was far too late to change the way that we were playing and virtually every person beside me was calling for changes long before the ditherer made them.

Pardew also wanted Ba.  Anyone with an agenda to pick the points to support their argument - no matter how spurious.  Pardew has done well, hughton was harshly treated.  The 2 are not mutually exclusive.  I'd rather look on the positive side of things at the moment - hwat with us ahving our best season in about 6 years and all.

He's largely ok and getting us playing good footy at times, but it's become obvious sometimes he can be tactically out-thought. He did very well tactically against Stoke, but when he seems to struggle against poor teams with packed midfields, unwilling to withdraw an attacker to bolster the midfield in such cases, but we're not quite fast enough to work as a counter attacking team, which is what you need with a 4-4-2 against a 4-3-3 broadly. He's also puzzling with his subs. 

Guest michaelfoster

Pardew in all comps so far

P 46

W 16

D 17

L 13

win %: 34.7

Name                      P        Win %

Hughton                64          59.3

Keegan (92-97)    251        54.9

Robson                  255        46.6

Roeder                  72          45.8

Souness                87          44.8

Dalglish                  78          38.4

Pardew              46          34.7

Gullit                      52        34.6

Allardyce                24          33.3

Keegan (08)          21        28.5

Kinnear                  18          22.2

Ardiles                    47          21.1

What is he good at?

What a strange thing to say.

First, is it actually that easy to pinpoint what any manager is good at?  Especially when you then try and pull apart each quality and attribute it to someone else.  Do you think Wenger scouts all the players he buys himself?  No, he has a scouting team for that.  However, ask people what Wenger's qualities are and the first thing people will say is his ability to buy young, unproven talent.

Second, you don't think he got all the substitutions right today.  Show me a manager who does?  You seem to be expecting a 100% success rate.  It isn't a science - you can see why Pardew didn't change anything at half time bearing in mind we could/should have been 3 up by then.

We could go round in circles on this one - but seriously, we've had two dodgy results all season (one of which was understandable given our lack of options) and people are having a go at Pardew?!?!  We are in 6th place for God's sake with a pretty small squad!  Where did you expect us to be?  What does Pardew have to convince the doubters that he is doing a good job?  And you wonder why NUFC fans have a reputation for being deluded?

Absolutely staggering overreactions.

Pardew in all comps so far

P 46

W 16

D 17

L 13

win %: 34.7

Name                      P        Win %

Hughton                64          59.3

Keegan (92-97)    251        54.9

Robson                  255        46.6

Roeder                  72          45.8

Souness                87          44.8

Dalglish                  78          38.4

Pardew              46          34.7

Gullit                      52        34.6

Allardyce                24          33.3

Keegan (08)          21        28.5

Kinnear                  18          22.2

Ardiles                    47          21.1

Can you tell us the respective points per game for each manager?  And exclude Championship stats.

Mick's been saying the same for ages, so it's not really a reaction.

Generally though why is it okay to praise when things go right but not okay to criticise when things go wrong? Surely that's fair?

Mick's been saying the same since day one, so it's not a reaction.

Generally though why is it okay to praise when things go right but not okay to criticise when things go wrong? Surely that's fair?

So has he been saying them after each match when we were winning?  Or has he voiced his opinions after defeats/draws?

Have absolutely no problem with people having opinions - otherwise this forum would be dull.  But I think that some of the criticism levelled at Pardew after this 'banana blip' is a bit OTT to be honest.  As I said - we are having a great season at the moment.  Would be good to remember that and not start complaining that we didn't beat Swansea.

The reactions :lol:

We did more than enough to win this game today, just didn't happen.

Pardew has achieved nothing for us not to criticise him for this result. If you were happy enough to jump on the Pardew bandwagon when we were doing well, then fair enough. But, some of us, still think the jury is out on him. Some of us think he still needs a full season before he should be judged. And yes, I've said that even when we were 3rd-4th.

He's been at us for less than a season and we were in the Championship a year and a half ago, what the fuck did you expect him to have achieved by this point? I'm not saying I agree with all the decisions he made today, because I don't, but that statement is just idiotic.

Exactly my point, you silly bitch. He hasn't reached the appropriate time in tenure for us to fairly judge him, so I have no idea why Cajun was making it sound like a blasphemy to question him.

Pardew also wanted Ba.  Anyone with an agenda to pick the points to support their argument - no matter how spurious.  Pardew has done well, hughton was harshly treated.  The 2 are not mutually exclusive.  I'd rather look on the positive side of things at the moment - hwat with us ahving our best season in about 6 years and all.

I love it when people try to use agenda to put people down.  :lol:

As for us having our best season in 6 years, we'll have to wait until May before we know if that's true or not.

As for us having our best season in 6 years, we'll have to wait until May before we know if that's true or not.

False.  In May we'll know if we've had our best season in six years.  Based on league and points gained SteveMc is correct that we are currently having our best season in six years. 

Hence the phrase 'having' not had.  I'm not putting you down for having an agenda -rather saying that there is some pretty stark evidence that you have conveniently ignored that completely nullifies your point.

What a strange thing to say.

First, is it actually that easy to pinpoint what any manager is good at?  Especially when you then try and pull apart each quality and attribute it to someone else.  Do you think Wenger scouts all the players he buys himself?  No, he has a scouting team for that.  However, ask people what Wenger's qualities are and the first thing people will say is his ability to buy young, unproven talent.

Second, you don't think he got all the substitutions right today.  Show me a manager who does?  You seem to be expecting a 100% success rate.  It isn't a science - you can see why Pardew didn't change anything at half time bearing in mind we could/should have been 3 up by then.

We could go round in circles on this one - but seriously, we've had two dodgy results all season (one of which was understandable given our lack of options) and people are having a go at Pardew?!?!  We are in 6th place for God's sake with a pretty small squad!  Where did you expect us to be?  What does Pardew have to convince the doubters that he is doing a good job?  And you wonder why NUFC fans have a reputation for being deluded?

Absolutely staggering overreactions.

I really wouldn't try to ever compare Pardew to Wenger, and I have never mentioned his ability to buy young, unproven talent.  I think Wenger is a very good manager who gets his team to play a good brand of football and usually gets the best out of his players.

Secondly, I don't think he got any of his substitutions right today never mind all of them.

We have had two dodgy results but we've been lucky on quite a few occasions where we've had results which were better than our display deserved.  Today was a poor result against a team we should have beaten and we didn't do enough to get the points.  Our game plan wasn't working and we stuck with it until the end of the game, I’m not going to congratulate Pardew for screwing up, you can if you want to.

As for who is deluded, we’ll know by the end of the season, won’t we?

If Shola scores the chance he had within 5 mins of coming on, no one says a word. Was probably our best chance of the half also.

Pardews done well for us this season. Cant see much point criticizing him beyond his choice over Ben Arfa today, anything more than that is massively reactionary for me. Our recent results have not told the story of how we've played whatsoever & key injuries have been unfortunate.