Alan Pardew

JH

I don't remember a manager we have ever been happy with when it comes to subs, even SBR used to get a lot of stick for it.

He used to love the triple substitution.  And it worked once from my memory when Stephen Glass scored vs Man Utd in 2000.  After a Lua-Lua miskick.

Bit of a fantasy that. It was true in his early days but simmered down a lot after the first few weeks of that 2000/01 season with Cordone and co. Once we had a good and settled team (Bellamy/Robert onwards), it was pretty rare. Perhaps too rare.

In 2003/04:

He did 3 substitutions against Man United, Birmingham City, Portsmouth, Fulham and Bolton.  That's still quite frequent!

Aye but not the 'lets get groovy' triple whammy, which I assume is what we're talking about*. A 67th, a 75th and a 92nd combo doesn't count.

*It might have happened once among those games, can't say I've checked specifically.

Those all were triple whammy substitutions.  Rather embarrassingly - I actually checked the matches.

Where can I check? Genuinely interested to see.

Fair play. I'll be pedantic and point out Portsmouth was actually two substitution phases 1 minute apart, but still. Four or five is a good couple more than I was expecting.

Just trawled through nufc.com match reports!  Looks like the year before was less though - think it is only 3 or 4 occasions.

Even I was surprised about the number of time Robson made 3 subs in the entire game (not of the triple whammy type) - certainly liked to utilise the bench.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/19/pardew-looking-to-delay-african-nations-cup-departures-72703-29979323/

ALAN Pardew will attempt to delay Cheick Tiote and Demba Ba from heading to the African Cup of Nations.

The duo are expected to link up with Senegal and the Ivory Coast at the start of January.

But Pardew will look to prevent their link up until January 15.

The tournament takes place in Guinea and Gabon and players could me missing until mid-February.

Man City have halted Kolo and YaYa Toure's involvement in the tournament.

Pardew said: "We will go along with that

"It's important to keep players until January 15.

"The scheduling isn't great but we aren't going to moan, we knew about it."

:thup:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/19/pardew-looking-to-delay-african-nations-cup-departures-72703-29979323/

ALAN Pardew will attempt to delay Cheick Tiote and Demba Ba from heading to the African Cup of Nations.

The duo are expected to link up with Senegal and the Ivory Coast at the start of January.

The tournament takes place in Guinea and Gabon and players could me missing until mid-February.

I read that and thought they meant he was hiding their passports or something :lol: :troll:

Hope this happens.

I read that and thought they meant he was hiding their passports or something :lol: :troll:

That would be a brilliant idea actually :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=hatem-ben-arfa-ready-for-west-brom-clash%26method=full%26objectid=29976392%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Just read Pardews comments on why others came on ahead of HBA. Thought I was reading Steve Kean comments for a moment there. Really poor train of thought/rationalisation. It's not like HBA can win penalties running at players down the flanks or anything, is it? As for no pockets of space, you need players like HBA to create space. If you can't bring on HBA against a team sitting deep, what is his "type of game"? In an open, end-to-end contest where he'd be tracking back? Or when we're camped in our own half? Doesn't seem to realise he was wrong or take ownership of his mistake either. Really poor form IMO.

On a pure personality level, I think a lot of people have never taken to the bloke and/or have never forgiven him for his part in Hughton's ousting/Ashley's overall scheme. As such this is why they're picking up on relatively small things and using it to justify statements like 'fast running out of patience' and 'getting pissed off' when overall we've had a stonking run of success (on paper), the sort that would normally get someone a bit more slack. He lacks good will. This is the flipside of people like Ronaldo appreciating his grooming and wanting people to think they share habits.

For me, I've never liked him and am unable to warm to him. Doesn't come into my judgement of his decisions here, though. I've voted 'brilliant' on this thread, and I'm not planning on changing it just yet. My thinking's generally along the lines of Mick's, but I still think some of the things some people are saying against him are loony. Would rather they just said 'don't like him, never will', if they haven't literally only just noticed after a dodgy result against a not-to-shit Swansea side during a massive injury crisis that we're strategically inflexible. It shouldn't have been so hard to spot, and if it was, then Pardew would deserve a bit of time to identify it and (more importantly) do something about it before calling him a knacker.

That's a cracking post and I'm very much in the 'never going to warm to him' camp.

You live by the sword, you die by the sword so getting into bed with Ashley and Co. means all bets are off in terms of cutting him slack around a small squad, players being sold over his head etc etc.

He knew what he was getting when he signed on the dotted line one year ago and for me he'll always get less patience than a random appointment simply because he knew exactly what he was in for and has stated many times that he's happy to work within the regime and that closeness to the regime will always count against him when the shit hits the fans in the eyes of quite a few fans I would think.

Before everyone (Ian W) starts with the 'rather have an Ashley man than anyone else, better for the club etc etc', my view is that regardless of Manager the overall strategy would be the same, so the only advantage of Pardew is his ability to calm things through his media savvy - which, in my mind, is Dekka's job anyway.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=hatem-ben-arfa-ready-for-west-brom-clash%26method=full%26objectid=29976392%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Just read Pardews comments on why others came on ahead of HBA. Thought I was reading Steve Kean comments for a moment there. Really poor train of thought/rationalisation. It's not like HBA can win penalties running at players down the flanks or anything, is it? As for no pockets of space, you need players like HBA to create space. If you can't bring on HBA against a team sitting deep, what is his "type of game"? In an open, end-to-end contest where he'd be tracking back? Or when we're camped in our own half? Doesn't seem to realise he was wrong or take ownership of his mistake either. Really poor form IMO.

If you read his comments this morning and listen to the press conference it seems the main reason he didn't bring him on, and hasn't used him in the last couple, is because we haven't looked comfortable defensively. He says that now he has confidence that the defence are back to near their best, he'll get more playing time. Plus he says he needs to come up to speed with the other players (unclear whether that means performance or fitness).

It's all fair enough in my opinion. We don't see HBA in training everyday, so how the hell do we know what level he's at. If Pardew and Carver and co genuinely believe he's not ready or that he's not up to speed then, no offence to anyone here, I'm more inclined to take their opinion.

My post was on the basis of the comments in the article, which seem to be based on Pardew's tactical preference. If HBA isn't fit, that's fine, but he makes no mention of that in his quotes and if he was fit enough to make the bench then I assume he could have given us half an hour or so at least. I haven't seen any comments (sincerely) that mention concerns over his fitness. Happy to be put right if you can point in the right direction.

got to say Pardew's comments make little sense there. in a game where the opposing side are deep, with so many numbers back and no space, you need a player like HBA. those are the kind of situations screaming out for a bit of trickery and invention, someone who can play in tight areas and create half a yard here and there.

a player like Obertan or Sammy is more used when the game is stretched and there's plenty of space in behind to exploit, whereas HBA at this stage may fare less well in that kind of open match, as he's still searching for that bit of extra pace.

got to say Pardew's comments make little sense there. in a game where the opposing side are deep, with so many numbers back and no space, you need a player like HBA. those are the kind of situations screaming out for a bit of trickery and invention, someone who can play in tight areas and create half a yard here and there.

a player like Obertan or Sammy is more used when the game is stretched and there's plenty of space in behind to exploit, whereas HBA at this stage may fare less well in that kind of open match, as he's still searching for that bit of extra pace.

Totally agree JPD. Against Swansea we needed somebody who could pick a pass, see a ball that others couldn't or just do the damn right unthinkable to get us in to the game - there was no way we were going to break them down and that was as clear as could be from about 50 minutes.

I can't understand any logic in bringing on the two kids ahead of HBA.

It would also have lifted the crowd.

Hindu: - If those had been the only comments he'd made on the decision to exclude HBA, I'd definitely be inclined to agree with you.  :thup:

As it is, given the comments made in the article I posted, coupled with what I've seen on the pitch of HBA, I'm inclined to believe otherwise. The cynic in me, in fact, says the comments made about HBA not being sharp were made to bolster Pardew's impressive PR with the fans (though I don't know in what order the interviews were given, and if he had to essentially renege on his implicit admission of tactical naivety with comments about sharpness etc).

Can't help feel disappointed in the last two results, think the next game will be more of the same unfortunately.

We've all got to stick together and stay patient, like I said a few weeks ago this run will test the fans as much as it will test the players, the manager and the club. It's a perfect time to show our squad weaknesses to Ashley, now Pardew has strong case for getting more players in, ASAP.

So, our squad is big enough to cope without Ba and Tiote is it, Pardew, you cretin.

Even the most one-eyed supporter can surely see that the likes of Lovenkrands and fucking Ameobi aren't goign to be scoring us enough goals to replace Ba??

But no, no doubt the apologists will find a way to make what he said ok. After all, the Fat Cunt will be investing all of the Carroll money, won't he......oh, i see. Ha.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

7th place?? Not while we have Ashley and/or Pardew. Absolutely no chance.

We need to aim for 16th/17th.

Terrible owner (do NOT try the "he keeps us afloat crap", thats nowhere near true), poor manager, amnd a team that man-for-man is worse than the one that got relegated. So 7th?? muahahaha.