Alan Pardew

JH

If Sammy starts v Man Utd ahead of Ben Arfa, then Pardew will lose a significant amount of credibility.

Not if Sammy played well and we won/drew.

You suggesting we are fickle? .... Never.

Then he would be lucky.

Guest neesy111

If Sammy starts v Man Utd ahead of Ben Arfa, then Pardew will lose a significant amount of credibility.

Not if Sammy played well and we won/drew.

99% unlikely.

I definitely go with the idea of having a go at the Mancs on Wednesday night. Now (with their injuries) might be a good time to catch them and what do we have to lose? If Pardew shows too much respect, we'll end up getting bummed anyway. We are the home side, afterall.

He's bringing a hell of a lot of unecessary pressure on himself with these team selections imo. I know we all like to think we know what's best for the team, but seriously he has to start Ben Arfa on Wednesday. If he doesn't, he's got everyone in a state before a ball has even been kicked. Start the creative players, see what happens, if we lose 4-0 then fine we were wrong but for goodness sake at least be brave with selections for once.

*If* Lee Ryder is right even (broken clocks are right twice a day) and *if* Pardew thinks Sameobi can do a better job on the wing than Ben Arfa, then he will have displayed that his judgement is flawed.

Evidence?

*If* Lee Ryder is right even (broken clocks are right twice a day) and *if* Pardew thinks Sameobi can do a better job on the wing than Ben Arfa, then he will have displayed that his judgement is flawed.

Evidence?

both players footballing ability?

That wasn't in question, he was judging Pards on the hypothetical idea that "Sameobi can do a better job on the wing than Ben Arfa" - I think there's enough evidence to accept Ben Arfa is the best footballer in the squad.

That wasn't in question, he was judging Pards on the hypothetical idea that "Sameobi can do a better job on the wing than Ben Arfa" - I think there's enough evidence to accept Ben Arfa is the best footballer in the squad.

In my opinion, Ben Arfa is only the 6th best player at the club in terms of ability, and probably only 8th best when you consider factors such as work ethic and consistency.

Coloccini is our best player.

Yep, closely followed by Ba. Cabaye, Tiote and Krul are also better than Ben Arfa, who has to scrap it out with Jonas and Steven Taylor, who have shown themselves to be better players than him at times too.

Ben Arfa needs a system wich suits him, and four four bloody two doesn't. If we were playing a more 4-3-3 style we might have been better off with HBA in the team. But neither jonas or obertan knows what an offensive run is so he has two choices when he plays, either dribble past all and score, or give the ball to Ba.

Yep, closely followed by Ba. Cabaye, Tiote and Krul are also better than Ben Arfa, who has to scrap it out with Jonas and Steven Taylor, who have shown themselves to be better players than him at times too.

There's absolutely no way Steven Taylor has more ability than Ben Arfa.

Coloccini is our best player.

Not sure I'd have Ben Arfa that far down the pecking order like...

Ben Arfa is one of our best creative outlets, but Colo' is the most intelligent and technically sound player at the club. Cabaye, Ba and from what I've seen Marveaux are probably all at a similar level to Ben Arfa. I feel we're very much a good side, as we were last year, albeit a different type of side now. Nevertheless, we are still 3 or 4 quality players from being at someone like say Liverpool's standards. Our 'squad' players make up the final pieces of our 'performing' side and with two or three additions we'd have that strength in depth.

Krul is one of our best players too - but requires a tad more experience and training to fulfill his potential as a truly world class goalkeeper.

4-4-2 would suit him if we wanted it too, he can go past people for fun and his delivery can be outstanding (the latter mainly going from what i've heard). He's technically the perfect winger for an old fashiioned 4-4-2, but apparently he doesn't track back or something like that...

Ben Arfa needs a system wich suits him, and four four bloody two doesn't. If we were playing a more 4-3-3 style we might have been better off with HBA in the team. But neither jonas or obertan knows what an offensive run is so he has two choices when he plays, either dribble past all and score, or give the ball to Ba.

So Pardew should change our formation to suit one player?????

It's very debatable and we'll not know until he actually gets a decent run of games. He's our 'star man' though without a doubt.

So many other players can be considered a star man in our side over Ben Arfa.

The 'star man' Demba Ba who has been an unstoppable force in front of goal

The 'star man' Fabriccio Coloccini who is an immovable object in defence, leads the organisation of our defence and helps the team build from the back.

The 'star man' Tim Krul, whose top quality saves have made significant differences to whether we win draw or lose.

The 'star man' Cheick Tiote who has broken down passing move after passing move consistently for 18 months.

The 'star man' Yohan Cabaye who completely controls the passage of play in midfield.

Ben Arfa has not demonstrated one star quality that should mean he is considered as a star player ahead of those five.

yes should be willing to adapt formation around Ben Arfa, though 4-4-1-1 is hardly a mile away from 4-4-2 or whatever

I also agree that so far those players have been stars ahead of him, but hardly that fair since Ben Arfa hasn't had the same time on pitch. He's not a star player yet, he's just lots of talent and potential.