Alan Pardew

JH

we finnished higher than the season before? not success?

you expect too much from pardew, we are in no state to be demanding a better manager considering where we are and where we came from.  pards is a half decent manager and he's at his level which is nufc. 

im more than willing to stick by him regardless of how much i hate his direct approach to football, long ball bullsh1t and playing turds like ameobi upfront on his own,  loads of stuff he does i dont agree with, but be fair, he's the best manager we can afford right now.  i believe he can help us establish ourselves as a top 6 team,  and that really is more than acceptable. he will hit his brickwall just like bobby did when he made us a top four side, but even the most hardend bobby fan would agree we were never going to be title contenders under his stewardship. 

give that silver fox a chance, we know he is limited, but he's still decent enough.

We were title contenders under Bobby.

HTT, that list of players. Who manages, organises and has been responsible for getting the best out of them? It's really not as easy as saying "right you fine collection of footballers, go and play". They still need to be coached and motivated and Pardew has done a good job of that. Look at our side under Souness, on paper it was a cracking XI but we floundered due to his appallingly abrasive approach and negativity. What I like about Pardew is he's a positive manager, even after defeats he doesnt get downbeat which is vitally important in management.

Guest Howaythetoon

And speaking of Sir Bobby...

"It is all in the performance"

Asked what constitutes a good team/players. Basically the better sides and players will perform better than the opposition.

I can count 10 games at least this season where in general we have performed poorly as a team.

How we are sixth if we are going off performances as a team I do not know.

HTT, that list of players. Who manages, organises and has been responsible for getting the best out of them? It's really not as easy as saying "right you fine collection of footballers, go and play". They still need to be coached and motivated and Pardew has done a good job of that. Look at our side under Souness, on paper it was a cracking XI but we floundered due to his appallingly abrasive approach and negativity. What I like about Pardew is he's a positive manager, even after defeats he doesnt get downbeat which is vitally important in management.

i agree

sourmess had an incredible team at his disposal , well he did at least on paper.  and to be fair he did fuck all with it, and couldnt have done worst.

Guest Brendan_Rice

I don't get it, we have had a couple o fbad results and people are calling for Pardew's head.

We have 2/3 players that are the spine of his side in the African Nations, with our striker situation what do you expect?

I like the team we have and what Pardew is building and I want to see him given a chance on a long term. We have got nowhere chopping and changing managers at th edrop of a hat, is it not time to stick by one?

Guest Brendan_Rice

i agree

sourmess had an incredible team at his disposal , well he did at least on paper.  and to be fair he did f*** all with it, and couldnt have done worst.

I haded Souness nearly as much as Fat Sam, they were both piss poor.

Guest Dontooner

The people who against Pards are just discrediting the clear positives from his time here. You cant solely focus on when things dont work out, complain about his tactics but say nothing about us completely outplaying Man United. Say we're a one man team with Ba, then ignore which manager actually worked hardest to sign the lad.

We're joint 5th. The grass isnt always greener, it should be massively obvious tbh.

Exactly, his tactics can't be that bad when we completely outplayed Man Utd, he may have ballsed up yesterday but at least it was in the cup and not the league.

Baffled by the people who claim it was clear tactics that won us the game.....watch the goals again, did we create much from open play . A exceptional free kick, a free penalty and a great half chance converted by a good player. we defended all day and play long ball.....which our strikers had the better of their defenders on that day.....

Definition of Tactics: An action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end

It should be consistant and deliver results  over long run...not purple patches...just see how we fair when are key players are injure or away....we play some shit footy..and is completely toothless in attack

Guest Howaythetoon

I've already stated he has them working hard and has helped to instill a great team spirit and thus deserves credit and praise for that which I have never denied but from an attacking perspective I see little in the way of good coaching. Defensively we are very organised and are set up very well at times, but offensively its all about the long ball in the main.

As for positivity, this is the confidence trickster aspect of Pardew, i.e. he talks a good game. In reality he set us up to contain Brighton, to play for a draw. This is odd because come the Champions at SJP and he goes out for a win.

I do think he's quite positive and confident in terms of speaking but tactically its almosy always negative.

What was Souness' best XI?

Given

Carr Boumsong Bramble Babayaro

Solano Emre Parker NZogbia

Owen Shearer

13th ffs.

Dear god that front six is amazing how we only finished 13th is beyond me.

For all those saying we should be grateful for being sixth blah blah blah, just take a look at some of our players for a moment and then take a look at those around us or below us.

Krul - arguably the best up and coming keeper in the country and easily the top perfoming keeper this season.

Colo - arguably the best performing centre-half in the country. He'd walk into any of the top 5 sides in this country for me.

Santon -  he looks a naturally gifted footballer going forward.

S. Taylor - he's been playing like an international centre-back and of all the English centre-backs I'd say he was playing better than any of them before his injury.

Jonas - is there a better outlet player in the league? I remember against Stoke away and Blackburn at home in the FA Cup, he ran them raggid so much the opposition simply gave up because they couldn't keep up with his work-rate and drives forward. Yes he's frustrating but he causes so many problems and helps this team a lot as an outlet.

Cabaye - his passing, his energy, his tackling, his running... he just keeps going. He has been brilliant for us, easily one of the best midfielders outside of the top 5.

Tiote - on his day there is no one better at breaking up play and then driving forward. He's a beast and potentially world-class.

Ben Arfa - how many players in our league could score the goal he score against Blackburn? He has the potential to be a huge star of this league.

Ba - he has scored 15 goals and is the best striker I've seen at Newcastle since Shearer and I include Sir Les in that. he's on course to score 20 league goals. Masn Utd don't have that kind of striker nor do Liverpool or Chelsea.

In short we have the nucleaus of a really good side and squad wise it isn't that bad either. Guthrie is playing well and looking a good player for example. Best is a decent all-rounder and a cool finisher on his day. Williamson is an adequate PL defender.

We have a good starting 11 and a decent enough squad. And I haven't even mentioned Cisse yet (I haven't seen him play basically).

Again, starting XI vs starting XI I'd say we are on a par with Liverpool and that to me suggests we are indeed a top 6 side at least.

A couple of the players there in Santon/Ben Arfa havent really played that large a role in our current position compared to others you havent mentioned.

You do mention Saylor, Best, Guthrie, Williamson, Krul. Yet acknowledge no improvement in any of them under Pardew? You think this is a balanced argument ?

Guest Dontooner

i agree

sourmess had an incredible team at his disposal , well he did at least on paper.  and to be fair he did f*** all with it, and couldnt have done worst.

Exactly the reason why the debate of the caliber of the manager....i rate Pardew miles ahead of the Souness and Fat Sam...least he play positive football.

Guest Howaythetoon

Given

Owen Shearer

13th ffs.

Not one of those outside of Shay would get into this current NUFC side in my opinion. Shay onlyu gets in on experience too.

Souness did massively underachieve though. That side should have finished higher than 13th easily.

Given

Owen Shearer

13th ffs.

Dear god that front six is amazing how we only finished 13th is beyond me.

We were actually 14th that year I believe.  Still have our league finishes memorised like a total fucking loser. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

:lol:

I'm not calling for his head, not now at least anyway. Long-term I just think we need to look at other options in the same way that we have to look at replacing Simpson at RB one day.

I am split on Pardew. He seems like a nice guy, good with the media, man management etc., and imo he's been successful rather than the opposite with his approach to games and tactics. Let's be honest, he must have been for us to sit in 6th. Use the Man Utd game as an example. Then there's his other side, his persistence with mediocre (useless) players, and the fact he's not willing to change obvious faults he MAY have done during games. For me, his downsides simply seems unnecessary and could easily be corrected. To say the whole thing rests on stubbornness/pride seems a bit daft though. I want to see this team with the new Senegalese duo on top, which causes a chain reaction -> pushing Best to 3rd choice (on the bench) and Shola to 4th choice (off the bench). One worry remains though. His persistence with Ryan Taylor (versatileness not making it better). Pardew's best 11 seems to not match the fans average best 11, which is what I find most annoying. You could well be a good tactician, but to not play your best players in a competition like this is a small crime imho. So.f***ing.Unnecessary. I repeat though; I am split on him and I appreciate what he's done.

I don't get it, we have had a couple o fbad results and people are calling for Pardew's head.

We have 2/3 players that are the spine of his side in the African Nations, with our striker situation what do you expect?

I like the team we have and what Pardew is building and I want to see him given a chance on a long term. We have got nowhere chopping and changing managers at th edrop of a hat, is it not time to stick by one?

We've probably had 6 decent games this season in the league out of 22, we were playing a Championship side yesterday with 8 players who could be classed as first team players and we lost.

It's also arguable about who is building the team, I'm not sure stability is that important as we're not seeing stability with one manager as we're changing our system during the season anyway.  We started the season playing 4-4-2 and playing the long ball, we've now gone to a system which is 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 and I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4-4-2 on Wednesday. 

Why do we need stability?  What does stability bring when the scouts find the players and we change formations during the season anyway?  I can understand that the players get to like a manager and it’s unsettling for them to see him go but I don’t think anybody is suggesting that we change things now, I know I wouldn’t.

We’re just over half way through the season and things might get better, we could find a settled side, playing good football and winning games.  If that happens then nobody would want the manager replaced.  I still think he has a lot to do to convince me that he’s anything other than average and lucky.

Guest Dontooner

I am split on Pardew. He seems like a nice guy, good with the media, man management etc., and imo he's been successful rather than the opposite with his approach to games and tactics. Let's be honest, he must have been for us to sit in 6th. Use the Man Utd game as an example. Then there's his other side, his persistence with mediocre (useless) players, and the fact he's not willing to change obvious faults he MAY have done during games. For me, his downsides simply seems unnecessary and could easily be corrected. To say the whole thing rests on stubbornness/pride seems a bit daft though. I want to see this team with the new Senegalese duo on top, which causes a chain reaction -> pushing Best to 3rd choice (on the bench) and Shola to 4th choice (off the bench). One worry remains though. His persistence with Ryan Taylor (versatileness not making it better). Pardew's best 11 seems to not match the fans average best 11, which is what I find most annoying. You could well be a good tactician, but to not play your best players in a competition like this is a small crime imho. So.f***ing.Unnecessary

It not a myth his starting 11 which he quoted a few weeks a couple of months ago were quite different from ours. I do think Pardew best 11 is more efficient overall on the pitch though hence his preference...He is really more of an average or old school manager when it comes to attacking...having said that he pretty good at setting up his team defending or pressing though.

Guest VaVaVoom

I don't think many fans would advocate getting rid of Pardew any time soon fwiw, maybe 1 out of 100.

520 all sat together at St James could make some noise like and thats not what we want.

They are a fuckin joke the lot of them.

He is the best manager we have had since SBR and is doing a fine job so far imo.

We've probably had 6 decent games this season in the league out of 22, we were playing a Championship side yesterday with 8 players who could be classed as first team players and we lost.

It's also arguable about who is building the team, I'm not sure stability is that important as we're not seeing stability with one manager as we're changing our system during the season anyway.  We started the season playing 4-4-2 and playing the long ball, we've now gone to a system which is 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 and I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4-4-2 on Wednesday. 

Why do we need stability?  What does stability bring when the scouts find the players and we change formations during the season anyway?  I can understand that the players get to like a manager and it’s unsettling for them to see him go but I don’t think anybody is suggesting that we change things now, I know I wouldn’t.

We’re just over half way through the season and things might get better, we could find a settled side, playing good football and winning games.  If that happens then nobody would want the manager replaced.  I still think he has a lot to do to convince me that he’s anything other than average and lucky.

I don't think anyone defines stability as being tactically inflexible.