Alan Pardew

JH

Cannot help but be pleased for him. He set the team up well and seemingly got what he asked from his players.

In particular, Perch seemed to play to specific instructions that were acheivable for him. He seemed confident and willing.

Guthrie as well played a defined role and it worked well.

I put this, in large part, down to the manager who has given these two an opportunity to shine today.

Guest Howaythetoon

Got the tactics right second half and his subs were spot on but if he cannot find a place in our starting 11 for a player as good as Ben Arfa it will say a lot about his own managerial skills. Whenever I've watched Ben Arfa play he works hard but does lose the ball a few times. That's life though. Best will be caught offside a few times. Colo will miss a few headers. Jonas will whip in a few flat crosses. You have to go with the positives and with Ben Arfa they far outweigh any negatives. With Ba and Cisse up top they will need Ben Arfa, who can open up a defence either with a pass or footwork. The boy can cross a ball too. Pardew has to find a place for him. Not doing so would be a big failure on his behalf and indeed the side's.

Back to the game, once again we performed poorly as an 11 and had to rely on the individual brilliance of Krul in goal, and the goals of Ba and Cisse. We are not beating sides through our footballing prowess as a team but through hard work, and individualism which is great don't get me wrong, but if we are to move on we must start playing better football and beating sides through our football because we have some fine footballers, players who woul excell even more if we played it on the deck and around the pitch rather than the long ball.

I get the impression Pardew doesn't know how to get the team playing great football. His skills lie in hard work, team spirit, and motivation. Which goes a long way, but all the way? This team can finish in the top 4 if we started to play a bit more football. Villa were awful in the second half and were their for the taking but we played it long too much and were a bit negative and haphazard at times. Bitty basically.

I don't completely agree with his current footballing philosophy, I don't think he's getting the very best out of the team, I don't like the way he's treated HBA, I find his cautiousness incredibly frustrating at times but I simply have to applaud him in the end, as he's getting fantastic results and has made the season memorable. Well done Pards.

Got the tactics right second half and his subs were spot on but if he cannot find a place in our starting 11 for a player as good as Ben Arfa it will say a lot about his own managerial skills. Whenever I've watched Ben Arfa play he works hard but does lose the ball a few times. That's life though. Best will be caught offside a few times. Colo will miss a few headers. Jonas will whip in a few flat crosses. You have to go with the positives and with Ben Arfa they far outweigh any negatives. With Ba and Cisse up top they will need Ben Arfa, who can open up a defence either with a pass or footwork. The boy can cross a ball too. Pardew has to find a place for him. Not doing so would be a big failure on his behalf and indeed the side's.

Back to the game, once again we performed poorly as an 11 and had to rely on the individual brilliance of Krul in goal, and the goals of Ba and Cisse. We are not beating sides through our footballing prowess as a team but through hard work, and individualism which is great don't get me wrong, but if we are to move on we must start playing better football and beating sides through our football because we have some fine footballers, players who woul excell even more if we played it on the deck and around the pitch rather than the long ball.

I get the impression Pardew doesn't know how to get the team playing great football. His skills lie in hard work, team spirit, and motivation. Which goes a long way, but all the way? This team can finish in the top 4 if we started to play a bit more football. Villa were awful in the second half and were their for the taking but we played it long too much and were a bit negative and haphazard at times. Bitty basically.

We are missing our number 1 DM and our number 1 play maker, its gonner hurt anyside.  the good thing is tho everyone else has stpped up and made up for the lack of quality by working hard.

HTT pretty spot on :thup:

I'm a big fan of Pardew but it's pretty clear he just threw Cisse on today with little or no tactical decision making, and thought "fuck it, let's see what happens"

Can't fault Pardew really, we've got players like Simpson and Perch in the starting eleven as well as average types like Williamson and Obertan and we're still getting the results. And only Sammy Lee got as much out of Guthrie as Pardew has recently.

It's an odd thing how we've not played that well this season yet find ourselves a point off 4th.

Guest neesy111

Got lucky with the forced subs like against QPR at home which made the difference that day.

2nd half was much much better, more purpose and midfield got much more involved in the game.

5 wins from our last 7 & we're the joint 2nd most inform side in the league.

But we'll only make the top 4 if Pardew changes his entire philosophy thats got us to this point? Aye ok.

Perch in the middle due to Cabaye/Tiote out, Ba/Cisse have barely played together, Guti individually poor first half and if we dont play fluid football its all Pardew fault for not playing Barfa  :lol:

Laughable.

I'm a big fan of Pardew but it's pretty clear he just threw Cisse on today with little or no tactical decision making, and thought "fuck it, let's see what happens"

Eh? He was the only choice.

I don't completely agree with his current footballing philosophy, I don't think he's getting the very best out of the team, I don't like the way he's treated HBA, I find his cautiousness incredibly frustrating at times but I simply have to applaud him in the end, as he's getting fantastic results and has made the season memorable. Well done Pards.

yeah i think we're a bit lucky Best got injured. And Raylor to an extent, as though Obertan was mostly crap he did inject a bit of pace into our game. Similar thing happened with Ben Arfa vs QPR.

Would like Pardew to be a bit braver in his decisions from now on rather than letting circumstance or luck (good and bad) dictate the difficult decisions.

Guest schmuck

Pretty much agree with HTT.

I'd like to see the 433 we've tried recently with Ba and Cisse in the line up, and Ben Arfa.

We've so many midfielders who are good through the middle, Jonas, Cabaye, Guthrie, Marveaux, Tiote, plus Vuckic and Abeid I don't think we'd lose much by going for a Keegan-esque 4-3-1-2 - the only player that'd freeze out is Obertan. Santon and Ferguson are both excellent attacking players who could give us our width from full-back. Fantasy football  :fwap:

Guest Howaythetoon

You cannot argue with the results and Pardew to his credit can tell any of us to fuck right off for any criticism and I wouldn't blame him but we can all piss and moan about poor performances, especially when they are becoming common and moreso when he is the one that keeps saying he wants to see us play slick, fast football to feet which he said on radio recently. Well do it.

You don't have to be a super coach to get this side playing good football, in fact its mostly about philsophy anyway. Trust your better players, i.e. Ben Arfa, and they will deliver more than most. Dont and you get Ryan Taylor wide right. I like Taylor and think he's an unsung hero but it pains me to see him wide right and I bet Ba et al would rather see Ben Arfa on the flank.

As soon as I saw the team selection today i just knew the atmosphere would be shit. Play Cisse from the start, play Ben Arfa wide right. Lets us play Villa not fearing what they can do to us but what we can do to them. Get that crowd up for it and excited. Be more positive Alan.

I'll never forget when we went top of the Premier League under Sir Bobby and were by far the most in form side in the league, but when asked about being in contention for the title, he put a wet blanket over the flames and dampened any thought by saying we were not good enough. We didn't have the depth of others but were we good enough? We could have been.

Pardew talked about the tipping point recently. Well this could be it for us. We have a realistic chance of finishing 4th. How many times will such an opportunity come along? We have nowt to lose, pardew certainly doesn't, over a year back he was sacked as a league one manager.

Guest neesy111

I thought he was gonna bring on Shola tbh after he sent them both to warm up.

yeah i think we're a bit lucky Best got injured. And Raylor to an extent, as though Obertan was mostly crap he did inject a bit of pace into our game. Similar thing happened with Ben Arfa vs QPR.

Would like Pardew to be a bit braver in his decisions from now on rather than letting circumstance or luck (good and bad) dictate the difficult decisions.

He's certainly not as ballsy as he once was but I think he's simply stumbled onto a formula that's gotten results and has stuck with it. We could definitely still have gotten the results we have, playing some more expansive football and that is frustrating but ultimately hard to argue against. I'd like him to play Ben Arfa in a 4-4-2 to supply the 2 lads up top, I think it would work a treat, especially at home but I doubt we'll ever see that.

I'm a big fan of Pardew but it's pretty clear he just threw Cisse on today with little or no tactical decision making, and thought "f*** it, let's see what happens"

Not saying it as a bad thing, just that Pardew had little influence on it.

It's clear that he hasn't trained/worked on tactics since he arrived at the club, since it was only Thursday. He got in a couple of people's way during a few set pieces, for example.

I'm a big fan of Pardew but it's pretty clear he just threw Cisse on today with little or no tactical decision making, and thought "f*** it, let's see what happens"

I thought he was gonna bring on Shola tbh after he sent them both to warm up.

That was class :lol: Can imagine the scene in the dugout:

AP: "Shola?"

Shola: "YES BOSS!?!"

AP: "Go and get Cisse, he's going on"

Shola: " :okay: "

He's certainly not as ballsy as he once was but I think he's simply stumbled onto a formula that's gotten results and has stuck with it. We could definitely still have gotten the results we have, playing some more expansive football and that is frustrating but ultimately hard to argue against. I'd like him to play Ben Arfa in a 4-4-2 to supply the 2 lads up top, I think it would work a treat, especially at home but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Dont see how thats definate atall. For all any of us know Pardew has been getting the best out of what he currently has available. Ben Arfa is a class player, but he is up and down at the moment & his replacement today helped us score a goal in a game we won by a single goal.

Its all wishful thinking when people argue with Pardews decisions and style of play.

We are missing our number 1 DM and our number 1 play maker, its gonner hurt anyside.  the good thing is tho everyone else has stpped up and made up for the lack of quality by working hard.

Today was no different to many games when we had Tiote and Cabaye, still, it was better than I expected when I saw the team and that was probably down to Best going off and Cisse coming on.

You cannot argue with the results and Pardew to his credit can tell any of us to fuck right off for any criticism and I wouldn't blame him but we can all piss and moan about poor performances, especially when they are becoming common and moreso when he is the one that keeps saying he wants to see us play slick, fast football to feet which he said on radio recently. Well do it.

You don't have to be a super coach to get this side playing good football, in fact its mostly about philsophy anyway. Trust your better players, i.e. Ben Arfa, and they will deliver more than most. Dont and you get Ryan Taylor wide right. I like Taylor and think he's an unsung hero but it pains me to see him wide right and I bet Ba et al would rather see Ben Arfa on the flank.

As soon as I saw the team selection today i just knew the atmosphere would be shit. Play Cisse from the start, play Ben Arfa wide right. Lets us play Villa not fearing what they can do to us but what we can do to them. Get that crowd up for it and excited. Be more positive Alan.

I'll never forget when we went top of the Premier League under Sir Bobby and were by far the most in form side in the league, but when asked about being in contention for the title, he put a wet blanket over the flames and dampened any thought by saying we were not good enough. We didn't have the depth of others but were we good enough? We could have been.

Pardew talked about the tipping point recently. Well this could be it for us. We have a realistic chance of finishing 4th. How many times will such an opportunity come along? We have nowt to lose, pardew certainly doesn't, over a year back he was sacked as a league one manager.

:clap: :clap: