Alan Pardew

JH

I don't think anyone has said this is all the squad is capable of TBF. What some people have pointed out is that we have players who lack confidence and technique in positions that are supposed to start moves - GK, CB and FB.

Obviously it's Pardew's job to address these things like, that's fair enough.

I think players get their confidence to play football from the manager. I don't like to keep harping back to Keegan but when he saved us from relegation he challenged the players to pass the ball and accepted full responsibility if the results went against us. Brilliant man management. Is making a simple 6 yard pass really beyond the likes of Williamson and Simpson? No one's asking them to dribble 30 yards upfield ffs.

Not wanting to sound overly negative but I really don't feel the way we've set our team out is going to help us close this season out in a good way. It reeks of fear.

Pretty much a perfect post from Beren.our problem is possession and movement,creating goalcoring opportunities.I think we'll see a lot more from cabaye next season,just look at how long it took modric to flourish,I'm not saying cabaye is in the same league but he will be sharper on the ball next season and much quicker. I think Jonas is pretty burnt out and I'm sick of him just running it up the line and then miscrossing it.I would genuinely love to get Ferguson on but the one thing holding me back is how much defensive work Jonas does.Pardew should switch the weekly training to 4 days working on attacking shape/movement and ball control/possession rather than 4 days on defence.the main problem with our defence is just individual poorness

So you guys demand a short passing system in the second half with Perch, Williamson and Simpson as our back four? Pardew is forced to change the tactics once Santon got injured.

I can't believe the stick Pardew gets for the results. He got the tactics fucking spot on yesterday. It is away at Arsenal ffs.we have a very decent first half which no one could argue against. We were then forced to change our tactics due to Santons injury. With 20 mins left we again tried to build up plays on floor, which was consistent with Pardews quote that we would have a go at last. We started to control the midfield again until Tiotes got injured as well.  Afterwards it was obvious: we could only battle for a point.

I stand by Pardews decision to play safe for the start of second half. It is Perch v Walcott and Simpson v Ox ffs. You should stay in the game before you start thinking of a draw or a win. Mind you, Perch failed two crucial tackles which leaves Walcott huge space to run and Colo was forced to cover. This could cost us 2 goals already.

Everyone knows how footballers take the easy option sometimes when they're under pressure. They don't even get criticised for it usually, lumping the ball into the channels is a standard part of all levels of football.

Yes, Pardew should be telling his defenders to play it out more, and his midfielders to show for it short. I hope he is doing that.

The thing about spending four out of five days working on stopping the opposition is worrying to be fair, it doesn't sit right with how we would like our team to approach games.

Who are these fantastic passers at right back and centre half in the Wolves and mackem teams then, if it's all about Simpson and Williamson? Both those sides kept possession at SJP better than we have in months.

The first half was OK at best, the second half was beyond clueless. It's okay going to games like Arsenal away with a gameplan but frankly we had nothing of the sort. Long ball up to Ba that he is completely incapable of winning followed by an attack for Arsenal where they somehow managed to not score - rince and repeat for the second half. That's not a gameplan, it's a suicide note. No attempt to keep possession or offer anything going forward whatsoever. We came here last year with a weaker team and mugged them a bit for a 1-0 win but when we got the ball in that game we were confident and sensible in possession. It was poles apart from that rubbish yesterday. f*** sake even Stoke playing away from home have more clue and idea with the ball than we did yesterday.

We could have easily lost by 4 goals if they weren't so wasteful infront of goal. Shame we didn't in all honesty then people might start giving Pardew the criticism he deserves.

Absolutely spot on. Last year Tiote was a monster in the same fixture. Think he had close to 100 % passing success. Yesterday, even in the first half we looked very poor imo. Some moments, but all in all we had no clue. Koscielny must have won 90 % of the duels with Ba. Unsurprising, and a total waste of a player as good as him. Cisse should have played in stead of Obertan. We were lucky not to lose badly, and the hoofball is starting to strip all our ball players of they're qualities, and we're left defending for 90 minutes because of it.

So you guys demand a short passing system in the second half with Perch, Williamson and Simpson as our back four? Pardew is forced to change the tactics once Santon got injured.

I can't believe the stick Pardew gets for the results. He got the tactics fucking spot on yesterday. It is away at Arsenal ffs.we have a very decent first half which no one could argue against. We were then forced to change our tactics due to Santons injury. With 20 mins left we again tried to build up plays on floor, which was consistent with Pardews quote that we would have a go at last. We started to control the midfield again until Tiotes got injured as well.  Afterwards it was obvious: we could only battle for a point.

I stand by Pardews decision to play safe for the start of second half. It is Perch v Walcott and Simpson v Ox ffs. You should stay in the game before you start thinking of a draw or a win. Mind you, Perch failed two crucial tackles which leaves Walcott huge space to run and Colo was forced to cover. This could cost us 2 goals already.

Forget yesterday it was just one game, let's look at the bigger picture. Do you feel confident about our last 10 games and that we'll finish ahead of the chasing pack? Sunderland were 14 points behind us before they sacked Bruce, they've halved that to 7 now. More embarrassing for me was that they looked to pass the ball out of defence last week against us and that's with Martin fucking O'neill as manager.

Zero "build up plays on floor"

Are you seriously suggesting our game plan was to build along the ground?it happened by default when tiote or HBA were on the ball.cannot beleive how people just swallow stuff up,like when people say "pardew knows best" when a good player is left out for a poor one.are all these people watching all our matches or just reading match reports?

So do you notice HBA failed to intercept even once during the match? Ox and Gervinho just dribble passed him without any pressure every time. 

I think the point you guys have been missing is building up plays on floor, while not as "fluke" and ineffective as the hoof ball, actually bears a lot of risk of being counter attacked, where our full back is forced to be one on one against opponents wingers. santon actually didn't do too bad against walcott. Perch lose ALL one on one battles and he needs Jonas to cover every time.

With the missing of Santon, who can link up well with Jonas? perch? Serious? And the failure would immediate gift opponents a counter attack against our defense? It's Arsenal ffs. I would be furious if it's Wolves of WBA but it is away at Arsenal, with wingers like Walcott Ox and Gervinho who have plenty of pace to burn. Why is that playing safe for 25 mins and having a go for the rest could be criticized like that?

Are you seriously suggesting our game plan was to build along the ground?it happened by default when tiote or HBA were on the ball.cannot beleive how people just swallow stuff up,like when people say "pardew knows best" when a good player is left out for a poor one.are all these people watching all our matches or just reading match reports?

Has anyone actually said any of that? These phantom posters cause a lot of trouble on here.

Has anyone actually said any of that? These phantom posters cause a lot of trouble on here.

With 20 mins left we again tried to build up plays on floor

It's on the last page man.

A lot of people were saying things like "pardew has his reasons", "I'll trust pardew on this one" in regards to obertan over HBA at times and even Raylor likewise.the same applied when Raylor was at left back over Santon and it will continue to next season when players like Marveaux,ferguson and vuckic struggle to get a look in over Raylor

I watched every matches this season, I have to give up sleeping last nite and go to work immediately after the match.

It is fucking obvious that we intentionally change the tactics to protect Perch. On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we start the game with a 451 and hoof the ball. Obertan was instructed to assist Ba whenever Ba gets the ball from the midfield, and spray the ball back to the wingers which was very successful for the first 45mins. this only works when we play it on the ground. Obviously this was not the case in the 2nd. Obertan was nth but shit during the hoof ball era.

The injury of Santon forced Pardew to play Perch, and the game plan has to be changed. I have no problem for that. I can't criticize this decision. I really can't. You can have a go for wolves or all other matches but the thought of Walcott v Perch was fucking terrible - and it proved to be correct at last. santon was a much much better one on one defender than Perch.

Guest Dontooner

Average manager, every club that had him in thier club says the same things. Certainly, dont see it any different here. Wishful thinking for some really, if history and stats doesnt paint you a story, i guess alot of emotional work is done in thier assessment.

Go back to the match thread. Someone did say "we finally make a short pass build up plays in scone half - and it worked"

That play was started by Simpson making a direct pass to Shola, who hold up thte ball well and spray to other players.

We were playing more aggressive after 70 mins.

I can't believe the lack of criticism Pardew is getting for yesterday away from these boards. I'd have honestly been annoyed even if we'd escaped with the draw such was the ineptitude of our display yet again. Stealing a draw would have meant very little in the grand scheme of things - the way our football is going we're not going to build towards anything.

Aye, the football we've played this calendar year (bar Man Utd) has been awful and there are very little signs it's going to improve.

Dunno like, I agreed with you after Wolves as you know, it all collapsed at half time against Fulham, but we played very well 2nd half v Sunderland and had a decent performance last night considering the circumstances (Arsenal flying). There's certainly signs it could improve.

So do you notice HBA failed to intercept even once during the match? Ox and Gervinho just dribble passed him without any pressure every time. 

If you want to be taken seriously don't start a post with a criticism of the tackling ability of our best creative player. Like two peas in a pod you and Pards.

I watched every matches this season, I have to give up sleeping last nite and go to work immediately after the match.

It is f***ing obvious that we intentionally change the tactics to protect Perch. On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we start the game with a 451 and hoof the ball. Obertan was instructed to assist Ba whenever Ba gets the ball from the midfield, and spray the ball back to the wingers which was very successful for the first 45mins. this only works when we play it on the ground. Obviously this was not the case in the 2nd. Obertan was nth but s*** during the hoof ball era.

The injury of Santon forced Pardew to play Perch, and the game plan has to be changed. I have no problem for that. I can't criticize this decision. I really can't. You can have a go for wolves or all other matches but the thought of Walcott v Perch was f***ing terrible - and it proved to be correct at last. santon was a much much better one on one defender than Perch.

Nothing was successful about Obertan yesterday. He either didn't make a mistake or did, he did absolutely nothing of any note and please don't say 'the build up to HBA's goal'. In regards to Perch against Walcott, he had exactly the same problems as Santon, only he put in a couple of more impressive challenges. Santon while he was on the pitch offered us movement up front but if you think that taking him off means we can only play by kicking the ball 60 yards to Koscielny/Vermaelen so that they can build from the back and pass it around us for fun then you're wrong. Cabaye/Tiote/Jonas/Colo/HBA/ even Shola yesterday can pass the ball about on the ground well, they don't need to just feed Arsenal so that our defence can once again be opened up

I didn't criticize his tackling ability. Jesus. If you fail to see HBA gives lots of space to opponents it is your problem. How many positions could we expose to Arsenal then? Simpson is very reliable eh?

We must play HBA, but this doesn't mean we can ignore his risk. By taking so much risk on our right, is it that strange to try to protect our left a bit more?

When do we have a back four that is that fucking good? I really don't know. I just know except Colo we were playing championship quality defenders against Big 4 in our second half.

I didn't criticize his tackling ability. Jesus. If you fail to see HBA gives lots of space to opponents it is your problem. How many positions could we expose to Arsenal then? Simpson is very reliable eh?

We must play HBA, but this doesn't mean we can ignore his risk. By taking so much risk on our right, is it that strange to try to protect our left a bit more?

When do we have a back four that is that fucking good? I really don't know. I just know except Colo we were playing championship quality defenders against Big 4 in our second half.

That would be your problem actually, he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block. You think we should try and cancel out our defensive frailties by defending, so does Pardew,  I think it's completely backwards.

It is f***ing obvious that we intentionally change the tactics to protect Perch. On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense if we start the game with a 451 and hoof the ball. Obertan was instructed to assist Ba whenever Ba gets the ball from the midfield, and spray the ball back to the wingers which was very successful for the first 45mins. this only works when we play it on the ground. Obviously this was not the case in the 2nd. Obertan was nth but s*** during the hoof ball era.

The injury of Santon forced Pardew to play Perch, and the game plan has to be changed. I have no problem for that. I can't criticize this decision. I really can't. You can have a go for wolves or all other matches but the thought of Walcott v Perch was f***ing terrible - and it proved to be correct at last. santon was a much much better one on one defender than Perch.

Nothing was successful about Obertan yesterday.

I stopped reading here.

When do we have a back four that is that f***ing good? I really don't know. I just know except Colo we were playing championship quality defenders against Big 4 in our second half.

That would be your problem actually, he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block. You think we should try and cancel out our defensive frailties by defending, so does Pardew,  I think it's completely backwards.

"he doesnt give anyone space, he's just not very good at stopping people, be it with a tackle or a block" - and the end result is the opponent has spaces to run and attack Simpson directly.

I repeat, I am ok with that, I am willing to take that risk, but on the other side it's Perch v Walcott FFS.  You really think we could score a few goals and concede less, away at Emirates, with Perch, Willo and Simpson? Tell me, your answer is?

For me, even if we had drawn the match, I still would have posted the same thing I posted last night. Seriously, if we had continued the second half in the same vein as the first, we would have got a result imho (nicking a win maybe).