Alan Pardew

JH

Guest BooBoo

I think for the first time really in his reign, the pressure is on for Sunday. He desperately needs a good result and performance to arrest this recent slump. A scrappy 2-1 would be three points but I think we need more than that. It's been a long time since we comfortably won a football match and it would be such a moral boost to get a decent win against a competent yet ultimately very limited side.

With a back 4 containing only two comfortable footballers you cannot play passing football built from the back.

That is the simple reason why Krul has to club the ball forward on a regular basis. If Colo or Santon are not showing or are closed down what else can Krul be expected to do.

Pardew would be better off picking 3  defenders and getting the most creative of his remaining wide men to work the flanks box to box.

No offense, but this is bullshit, OK, you might not be able to play as tight and risky, but other teams with poor "footballers" manage to play it from the back ten times more often than us.

Haven't seen many less effective than the likes of a partnership of Williamson or Simpson on the ball like. They're either following an instruction to the Nth degree or they genuinely dislike having the pressure of having a football at their feet.

Like I said earlier, it's hard to know whether they are incapable of making short passes or feel pressured to hoof it because the manager makes a big deal about not taking risks. We've seen how reluctant he was to play Ben Arfa who is the ultimate ball loving footballer. Sometimes I think he'd rather play with 9 men so there'd be less people to pass to.

The manager needs to have confidence in his players to pass the ball otherwise players like Simpson and Williamson will always play safe.

problem is , we hoof it even when there's not a threat.  that's inexcusable.  we dont just play long balls because it's safe, simpson does it in the last third of the pitch all the time, no threat what so ever.  willo does, even colo does it when the opposition's strikers are near the kick off spot.

i havent got a problem with pardew wanting to play defensive, or cautious, but being defensive shouldn't equate to hoofball,

a team can still be defensive and cautious by passing the ball around.

Guest Howaythetoon

So... with a full week to decide on a team and tactics the idiot came up with the bright idea of playing the atrocious Obertan in a withdrawn striker role?! The man is cluelless and this one act alone speaks volumes of his ineptitude. His tactics are actually hurting the team and our better players. Cabaye looks lost. Tiote doesn't know where to go or what do do and Ba cuts a frustrated figure up front.

In the first half we played well enough. We mixed our game and got into several good positions, causing Arsenal a few problems. Our goal was fully justified because we carried a threat. They equalised not long after of course but we were still in the game and things were pretty even despite Arsenal naturally having more of the ball.

We go in at 1-1. I guarantee as soon as the lads got into that dressing room Pardew's half-time team-talk will have centred on not the positives, but the negatives and I also guarantee the instructions for the second-half will have been to settle for the draw, contain and to keep them out. We went out set up in a negative frame of mind and with negative long ball tactics. Arsenal did to us in that half what we did to the mackems in the second half of the derby, they penned us back and we barely got out of our own half. Unlike us against the mackems though, we basically allowed Arsenal to do this by lumping it long and dropping deep.

Once again, Shola Ameobi comes on and the first two players he goes to are Tiote and Cabaye. I don't know what he said but those two players after he had words with them dropped even deeper and played the ball long even more. Pardew clearly thought they were playing too far forward and he was clearly worried about us losing possession by playing the ball around in midfield.

back to Obertan... honestly, what possessed him to dream up this role for him and starting him? He had 7 fucking whole days to come up with a plan and this was his plan? Naturally Obertan was fucking woeful, AGAIN!

Our form in the second half of the season is alarming and more like mid-table or worse than top 6. Now that Ba isn't scoring, we are struggling and Pardew has no answers and even when he does try to answer things, he gets it wrong.

This second half of the season is the real Alan Pardew and its simply not good enough, not with these players and this team.

My brother in law was there last night and is a massive Arsenal fan, he couldn't believe how rubbish we were, especially second half. He regularly tells me Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Ba would walk into the Arsenal side. That's half of our side.

Get rid in the summer. Hopefully the FA will try and nab him when Harry turns them down.

With a back 4 containing only two comfortable footballers you cannot play passing football built from the back.

That is the simple reason why Krul has to club the ball forward on a regular basis. If Colo or Santon are not showing or are closed down what else can Krul be expected to do.

Pardew would be better off picking 3  defenders and getting the most creative of his remaining wide men to work the flanks box to box.

No offense, but this is bullshit, OK, you might not be able to play as tight and risky, but other teams with poor "footballers" manage to play it from the back ten times more often than us.

I must be mistaken then,

Please tell me how you are going to get the other half of our back four to play this creative football, I am keen to be enlightened further by you.

'We have to be in the game with ten or 15 minutes to go and, if we are, I won’t settle for a draw, for sure.

Pardew on the PR wank again,only so many times he can say that stuff without backing it up in style of play

Guest neesy111

Just wish there was some meaning to anything he says in the press, makes it completely pointless listening to or reading this drivel.

Haven't listened to anything by him for months now.  Sounds like a politician.

Much of what he says goes to show that he'd like to do something else than he's doing. In that ESPN video that someone posted, someone said he's a manager who'll say he wants to play good football but revert to direct hoofing. It seems that way.

Much of what he says goes to show that he'd like to do something else than he's doing. In that ESPN video that someone posted, someone said he's a manager who'll say he wants to play good football but revert to direct hoofing. It seems that way.

Or that he's desperate to dress it up as something that it's not.

I must be mistaken then,

Please tell me how you are going to get the other half of our back four to play this creative football, I am keen to be enlightened further by you.

Surely there's a difference between playing "creative foootball" and not hoofing it so much?  :lol: Don't know if it's Pardew's tactics or whatever, but surely these two are capable of passing the ball on the deck a helluva lot more often than they do now?

Dunno how many times i've seen them try for the longer option when not even under pressure, and they simply don't have the footballing ability

to do this with quality anyway, that's why i think it would be better to not hoof it as much unless it's a risky pass. Don't know what more to say/how to explain it to you.

So... with a full week to decide on a team and tactics the idiot came up with the bright idea of playing the atrocious Obertan in a withdrawn striker role?! The man is cluelless and this one act alone speaks volumes of his ineptitude. His tactics are actually hurting the team and our better players. Cabaye looks lost. Tiote doesn't know where to go or what do do and Ba cuts a frustrated figure up front.

In the first half we played well enough. We mixed our game and got into several good positions, causing Arsenal a few problems. Our goal was fully justified because we carried a threat. They equalised not long after of course but we were still in the game and things were pretty even despite Arsenal naturally having more of the ball.

We go in at 1-1. I guarantee as soon as the lads got into that dressing room Pardew's half-time team-talk will have centred on not the positives, but the negatives and I also guarantee the instructions for the second-half will have been to settle for the draw, contain and to keep them out. We went out set up in a negative frame of mind and with negative long ball tactics. Arsenal did to us in that half what we did to the mackems in the second half of the derby, they penned us back and we barely got out of our own half. Unlike us against the mackems though, we basically allowed Arsenal to do this by lumping it long and dropping deep.

Once again, Shola Ameobi comes on and the first two players he goes to are Tiote and Cabaye. I don't know what he said but those two players after he had words with them dropped even deeper and played the ball long even more. Pardew clearly thought they were playing too far forward and he was clearly worried about us losing possession by playing the ball around in midfield.

back to Obertan... honestly, what possessed him to dream up this role for him and starting him? He had 7 f***ing whole days to come up with a plan and this was his plan? Naturally Obertan was f***ing woeful, AGAIN!

Our form in the second half of the season is alarming and more like mid-table or worse than top 6. Now that Ba isn't scoring, we are struggling and Pardew has no answers and even when he does try to answer things, he gets it wrong.

This second half of the season is the real Alan Pardew and its simply not good enough, not with these players and this team.

My brother in law was there last night and is a massive Arsenal fan, he couldn't believe how rubbish we were, especially second half. He regularly tells me Colo, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Ba would walk into the Arsenal side. That's half of our side.

Get rid in the summer. Hopefully the FA will try and nab him when Harry turns them down.

Have to agree with this. That Obertan actually started is the biggest joke. Ba could easily have played the role Obertan had yesterday, and Cissé should have started up front.

And Pardew's defensive close the shop-instructions strips Cabaye from all his key qualities, and he's left chasing Arsenal's one-two play like a headless chicken using all his energy. And because of the long ball tactics that started so many of Arsenal's counter attacks, our team was out of balance, meaning our pressure and attempts to retain the ball were one by one in stead of collectively. Which is hopeless when you look at the speed and agility of the Arsenal players.

Guest Dontooner

Very good door to door Sales Man but like all goods that has to be sold that way.......they are either cheap,unsellable or defects.

I must be mistaken then,

Surely there's a difference between playing "creative foootball" and not hoofing it so much?  :lol: Don't know if it's Pardew's tactics or whatever, but surely these two are capable of passing the ball on the deck a helluva lot more often than they do now?

Dunno how many times i've seen them try for the longer option when not even under pressure, and they simply don't have the footballing ability to do this with quality anyway, that's why i think it would be better to not hoof it as much unless it's a risky pass. Don't know what more to say/how to explain it to you.

I think you just answered our question right there.

I must be mistaken then,

By playing it to the feet of one of the midfielders? They can do that, it's a 10/15 yard pass, i can do that!

I must be mistaken then,

Dunno how many times i've seen them try for the longer option when not even under pressure, and they simply don't have the footballing ability to do this with quality anyway, that's why i think it would be better to not hoof it as much unless it's a risky pass. Don't know what more to say/how to explain it to you.

Read my post!! And surely it's harder to make a long pass with quality than the shorter option when not under big pressure. Christ..

Guest Dontooner

I must be mistaken then,

Personally, i think they are under instructions to hoof the ball when under pressure or to pass it back to krul to repeat the cycle. If they werent under instructions they would have made more misplace wayward passes, i think pardew prefer not to loose the ball in key dangerous areas hence the strict tactic. Actually, too much focus is being debated on the defence, the midfield that has balls of chains on them are the problem. Attacking wise, we have very little to offer if its Pardew's choice of 11.

I must be mistaken then,

Read my post!! And surely it's harder to make a long pass with quality than the shorter option when not under big pressure. Christ..

I must be mistaken then,

Personally, i think they are under instructions to hoof the ball when under pressure or to pass it back to krul to repeat the cycle. If they werent under instructions they would have made more misplace wayward passes, i think pardew prefer not to loose the ball in key dangerous areas hence the strict tactic. Actually, too much focus is being debated on the defence, the midfield that has balls of chains on them are the problem. Attacking wise, we have very little to offer if its Pardew's choice of 11.

You may have a point. It could be Pardew would like to play more inventively from the back but he is limited by the number of quality defenders he has. I think he would like to have signed a footballing defender in January but that opens up another story about the tight miserable barstards above him.

I must be mistaken then,

By playing it to the feet of one of the midfielders? They can do that, it's a 10/15 yard pass, i can do that!

You can't train players of their level of these to do this, it's just not possible. Last week I was watching a team in the first division in Scotland doing it, must have been off my tits though because it's impossible.

I must be mistaken then,

You can't train players of their level of these to do this, it's just not possible. Last week I was watching a team in the first division in Scotland doing it, must have been off my tits though because it's impossible.

Dog on drugs

I must be mistaken then,

The midfield is the problem in my opinion:

Tiote - Ball winning midfielder, offers next to nothing going forward. Excellent last season, only played well in a couple of games this time round.

Cabaye - Deep lying playmaker, good passer and decent shot on him but offers little else going forward. Has been very poor since Man Utd.

Jonas - Plenty of graft but little craft. Looks jaded.

Guthrie - Neat and tidy player but not enough pace to be an attacking force.

Taylor - Decent set pieces but little else.

Obertan - Raw with pace, but no brain. Offers next to nothing going forward.

Vukic - Talented but too slow for PL. Not ready.

Ben Arfa - Extremely talented and exciting but can be just as frustrating. Looks back to full fitness and strentgh so has to start now. Our only attacking midfielder.

Ben Arfa aside, where are these attacking options you talk of?

Guest BooBoo

Fair point really. I hoped Cabaye would have been a ceative force this year but he's only really shown glimpses. In general though our midfield is poor at creating chances or threading through balls. When was the last time a striker of ours had a one on one chance?