Your support from this point on

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The biggest problem is, everyone wants to support the club and not abandon the players - but when the owner is a cunt and the manager is terrible, it's a difficult thing to do.

Is there a balance between supporting the club and hating the owner/manager? Doing one, will harm the other (i.e. supporting the team will line Ashley's pockets and make him thing everything is fine, protesting against Ashley will potentially harm the team).

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Not being a ST holder makes my position a bit more flexible like.

I get the impression that a lot of people are asking themselves if they love the club more than they hate Ashley atm. Depriving Ashley of your cash is also depriving the club of your support at games and there's no getting away from that. By harming Ashley in one way you're also harming the club. There's no right or wrong answer to the situation and each person has to weigh up whether they want to continue to go to games or jack it in. Personally I still think I'm still going to go next year but I'd expect quite a proportion to not bother and I'm fine with that. 

I believe the issue is that as far as I can judge, giving money to Ashley's business NUFC (whether we like it or not, the legal thing is his) is gonna pretty much guarantee our club being consistently mired in shit, it's reputation taken apart and us supporters just totally shamed if we sit down and take his snide abuse when we don't have to.

I can see that the club would probably, at least in the short term, run up more debt which would look like harm, but to me it would seem to be happening for the greater good in what is a no lose situation. A bit like having to give someone a nasty cut with a knife in order to give them a heart bypass operation.

That said, if anyone is intending on keeping going to matches because they think the club needs their money more than it needs them to stay away, I do respect that - it's dangerous to be throwing around terms like scab without knowing exactly what you're talking about... But I will do the best I can to convince these people that despite their best intentions they're making the wrong call - that they'd be trying to do the right thing the wrong way.

And as I've said elsewhere, tell me I'm wrong if you want but I think it is possible to make these players know they've got the best support around and give them something to play for even while withholding your money. Display the colours, tell anyone in the world who'll listen, and best of all would be to turn up outside the ground on matchdays and stay there for 90 minutes just like normal creating a great atmosphere - would win admiration from outsiders (potential buyers) and show the players that the empty seats aren't because we'd prefer to spend the afternoon gardening.

Gut reaction, but I just want to keep on watching my football team. I don't like Ashley or condone what he's done but I'll always follow the club and the XI who pull on the shirt every Saturday - even if I do whinge about them the following day. Part of the charm of it I suppose. :undecided:

The club will always come first for me and who knows, maybe a buyer will come along out of the blue and get shot of the wanker for us? If anyone wants to have a pop at those who choose to attend games then fair enough but not going may prove more detrimental for the club (as a separate entity)

The biggest problem is, everyone wants to support the club and not abandon the players - but when the owner is a cunt and the manager is terrible, it's a difficult thing to do.

Is there a balance between supporting the club and hating the owner/manager? Doing one, will harm the other (i.e. supporting the team will line Ashley's pockets and make him thing everything is fine, protesting against Ashley will potentially harm the team).

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Not being a ST holder makes my position a bit more flexible like.

As I've said elsewhere, the best way I can think of balancing the two is keeping your money but being even more supportive in any other way you can think of. It's not ideal, but nothing is in a bad situation, and for me the bottom line is he created this bad situation, he's keeping it bad now, and he will keep it bad for a long and cold time to come.

I don't want supporting my club to hurt either, it's not supposed to be like this, and the only way I can think of making things right is by helping get rid of him as quickly as I can - as far as I can see the alternative of just plugging away, drinking his lager, eating his food, looking at his adverts and hoping it'll all go away will actually make it last much longer.

Gut reaction, but I just want to keep on watching my football team. I don't like Ashley or condone what he's done but I'll always follow the club and the XI who pull on the shirt every Saturday - even if I do whinge about them the following day. Part of the charm of it I suppose. :undecided:

The club will always come first for me and who knows, maybe a buyer will come along out of the blue and get shot of the wanker for us? If anyone wants to have a pop at those who choose to attend games then fair enough but not going may prove more detrimental for the club (as a separate entity)

It's a nice idea but... I really think it becomes less and less likely all the time. He's lost as much money as he can possibly lose here if attendances hold strong. If he thinks he can get away with this, that his plans are condoned and won't be stopped, he's got absolutely no reason to go frankly because owning this place and feeling like he's tamed us will make him feel like a god. It's the sort of disturbed person he is. The idea of him and Llambias feeling superior to literally you and me, thinking he's got one over us because we ritually come and pay homage to 'his product' makes me sick.

Just for good measure, to make where I'm coming from clear, I honestly believe he can make very good money out of this place if everyone allows him to. The plan involves not trying to achieve the things we all think are the basic concepts of a football club - for him, success is money, not glory, and Division 1 is only better than Division 2 if struggling to be there is more profitable. It wouldn't be a loveless marriage, it'd be a love-hate relationship, with him doing all the loving. He'd feel earth-breakingly smug at the idea he's the businessman who'd proven there's a business out there where the customer is NEVER right, where child-like Geordies can be tricked with identical lies and will take what they're given.

He knows people will come and watch, he's playing on the biggest asset of Nufc, the fanbase, the only thing big about this club. We all love our football And for me it's almost religion making your pilgrimage up to st James park every other week. It's an extremely hard position to be put in for the fans because we just want to watch football top and bottom, it's the hardest decision just to stop going even though it's for the greater good of our club. Ashley only works in money, not pride and dignity.

It really is catch 22 with not putting money into the club mind. Yeah it'll hurt Ashley, but where's the money for the likes of Coloccini, Enrique and Carroll's wages going to come from? It's not as if there's an investor just waiting to buy the club and we all know what a stubborn twat Ashley is. He'll not reduce the asking price and If we're struggling to pay the bigger wages after what he chucks in as a loan he'll simply sell the better players rather than pump more in himself. It's a tricky one.

It's worth mentioning that we've done the 'support the team' stuff already. Yes, the last time started with a bit of protesting, but eventually most settled down. And look where it got us? Effectively back to exactly where we started.

The last team had a lot of tossers who didn't give a fuck though like Owen, N'Zogbia and Martins. Do you think this side would have done as well as they did last season had we given up and not supported them after relegation? Think 'this group of lads' is the sort that thrive with a good backing. People like Coloccini, Enrique and Jonas. It's the backing we give them which has brought them to love playing here. Stop backing them now and they might just give up completely this time and this time we might not be lucky again.

• 3 years later...

It's extremely easy to starve him of our money, just don't go. and the main thing that HAS changed is that now he's got someone there who won't even attempt to stand up to him or derek like keegan or latterly hughton. Alan Pardew's job description is very likely to be train and pick the team, and nothing else, why else would they have appointed one of their mates for five years? the club is now simply a money making exercise for mike ashley, and nothing more.

Bump, just to show how long we've actually been having this conversation on here.

I've been sneered at quite a bit for that last opinion over the years.

Go, don't go, the team is fucked either way now, with the amount leaving or not good enough and our 1 or 2 a year policy, Pardew wrecking players in systems, positions and formations that are unfamiliar to them I can't see how we will survive next season.

what is there to support? A soulless shell that echoes pride once past? Because no one there gives a shit anymore, from the top to the bottom.