Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

Guest neesy111

neesy received any mentions for this yet ?

So does my spelling and political views have an impact on NUFC like?!?  I bloody hope not.

• 3 months later...
Toon chief has a shot at fashion

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley is going all trendy - with a £7million move into high street fashion.

The SPORTS DIRECT empire run by Ashley will today announce it is buying Sir Tom Hunter's USC and CRUISE FASHION chains.

Cruise flogs Armani, Gucci and Vivienne Westwood shirts, shoes and handbags as well as aftershave.

It marks a huge change of direction for Sports Direct - whose Sports World stores are famed for their "pile it high, sell it cheap" gear.

Scottish tycoon Sir Tom will keep a 20 per cent stake, and move over to Sports Direct.

A source said: "This broadens Sports Direct away from the discount end of the market. It moves the dial."

The Sun revealed last week that USC was one of many high street chains struggling in the big squeeze.

JD SPORTS has been one of the best performing stores on the high street - thanks to its focus on teenage fashion.

Is that £7m of the Carroll money disappearing..  :bluestar:

Genuine question: are we better off now than we were when he took over?

Financially we are in a far better position and definitely more secure, although the debt owed is greater. But the improvement in the position is down to the debt being owed to the owner rather than a bank. It is way less risky.

It sets up Ashley as a figure of hate because we are entirely in his hands and it is a matter for him to decide how much financial exposure he wants in the club. At the last count it was about £280 million and only he can decide whether he wants it reduced, kept static or is prepared to increase it. People can stamp their feet, complain and pontificate on the subject but at the end of the day it is Ashley's call what he does with his money and the club he owns.

Whether our squad is better now is probably a subject for a thread on its own. I think we are getting there, we have got away from the high earning, under performing so called "mercenary" type of player that the 2007 squad was riddled with. And Ashley in his opening transfer window sanctioned Allardyce to bring in a few more of those types - but I don't think we'll be going down that path again....

All things considered, I'd say we are probably slightly better off now. I would much rather have not been through what we have to get here though.

Difficult to answer in terms of where we are right now as opposed to right then.

I think we're better placed to kick on and progress now than we were then, we've taken our medicine and we're getting better whereas a lot of other clubs are still very sick and are not willing to take the medicine.

We're certainly better off in every aspect than we were before Ashley took over. The squad, our financial situation etc.

That said, back in the days of Freddy you knew the club was in the shit, but always had that lingering hope that one of these windows our crazy spending would come good and we'd be back in the Champions League. Due to a variety of external and internal factors that's no longer the case.

Aye, we're in a better position but I do feel there's a much lower ceiling on what we can potentially achieve than there was under Shepherd.

The only way we'll ever get back to being a CL team under Ashley is if we somehow unearth an absolute gem of a manager who can consistently develop young players into stars. And the odds of that don't seem all that good when you consider that Pardew got the job because he was friends with the people in charge.

Aye, we're in a better position but I do feel there's a much lower ceiling on what we can potentially achieve than there was under Shepherd.

The only way we'll ever get back to being a CL team under Ashley is if we somehow unearth an absolute gem of a manager who can consistently develop young players into stars. And the odds of that don't seem all that good when you consider that Pardew got the job because he was friends with the people in charge.

How would we get back to being a CL team under a different owner?

So we are deeper in debt, we have Ashley/Llambias who through a series of fuck ups got us relegated and continue to spout crap and twist the truth.

It doesnt look like they are prepared to invest in the squad to push for europe so the best weve got to look forward to is mid table for the foreseeable future.

and we are better off?

So we are deeper in debt, we have Ashley/Llambias who through a series of f*** ups got us relegated and continue to spout crap and twist the truth.

It doesnt look like they are prepared to invest in the squad to push for europe so the best weve got to look forward to is mid table for the foreseeable future.

and we are better off?

What exactly were we looking forward to in 2007 when we were insolvent, had borrowed against every asset, our owners weren't going to put any money in and we had Allardyce as our manager?

Find the best manager you can attract (rather than hire the most highly qualified of your mates) and actually back and empower him, for one thing.

We'd probably need someone who was willing to speculate to accumulate too, given the state of the modern game.

Find the best manager you can attract (rather than hire the most highly qualified of your mates) and actually back and empower him, for one thing.

We'd probably need someone who was willing to speculate to accumulate too, given the state of the modern game.

The CL clubs are out of our league right now. No one can match their spending power, and if they attempt to like Liverpool they're in danger of crashing to earth with an almighty bang if things go tits up.

So we are deeper in debt, we have Ashley/Llambias who through a series of f*** ups got us relegated and continue to spout crap and twist the truth.

and we are better off?

What exactly were we looking forward to in 2007 when we were insolvent, had borrowed against every asset, our owners weren't going to put any money in and we had Allardyce as our manager?

:lol:

Going out of business like Portsmouth, eh? [/Dave]