(Long) Breakdown of our recent finances

BottledDog

High earners, ex-manager payments, relegation - all Ashley. I don't care what he's put in because his stupidity has cancelled it out.

Of the £17 million in ex-manager payments discussed in the blog, only £5.3 million of it went to an Ashley appointee. Of course, you could argue that Ashley should not have sacked Fat Sam...

Lets be honest here most of the managers in the Ashley era have had contracts that a Indian contact centre worker* would not take on.

* = FAO DISCO: Curryhead contact centre worker

:lol: cheeky bassa.

If you're comparing the Shepherd and Ashley regimes, you have to look at the hypothetical issue of where we would be now if Shepherd had remained in charge. He left the club in a worse state than when he found it, and if he'd stayed in charge for a further three years, from those figures it could have been an absolute disaster.

The other question is whether, if Ashley were to leave now, would the club be in a better state than when he bought it? Despite all the trials and tribulations, I'd say the answer was yes.

If you're comparing the Shepherd and Ashley regimes, you have to look at the hypothetical issue of where we would be now if Shepherd had remained in charge. He left the club in a worse state than when he found it, and if he'd stayed in charge for a further three years, from those figures it could have been an absolute disaster.

The other question is whether, if Ashley were to leave now, would the club be in a better state than when he bought it? Despite all the trials and tribulations, I'd say the answer was yes.

I'd say no, unless cancelling the debt owed to Fat Ash was part of any deal.

I'd say no, unless cancelling the debt owed to Fat Ash was part of any deal.

Not possible as the loan is now payable on demand to Ashley

Without a doubt.

The key difference is that although the debt has increased sharply under Ashley it is not owed to some external creditor who has foreclosure rights. There was no possibility of increasing the debt in 2007 as we would have nothing left to borrow against so how was the club going to transform a £30m loss into a profit and avoid further debt? Bear in mind also that the £30m loss was incurred in a year when we were playing in Europe. 

There is another point in that the club was technically insolvent at the time Ashley bought it and the accounts were only given solvent status because Ashley  guaranteed to fund it. Who would have given that guarantee if we were under our previous ownership?

Edit: sorry just noticed that you said if he were to leave. Ashley would either have to write a chunk of debt off or the new owner would wrap it up in the seliing price so the answer is probably still yes.

you have to look at the hypothetical issue of where we would be now if Shepherd had remained in charge.

Why do we have to deal in hypothetical? We know what happened & we know where we are. This is not Back To Future ffs!!! You can paint the picture of doom but what if Sam had of worked for the bloke that employed him & his record is pretty good working for these sort of chaps. It was a brilliant season with  Shay in goal. The lovable Brazilian veteran Cacapa in front of him who is nicknamed "The Don" as he runs the back 4 while never going faster than 4mph, beside him is Geordie favorite Rozehnal. The new fullback pairing of Beye & Enrique are as good as anything people have seen before. The midfield is made up of play maker & captain the ever present  Joey Barton, the Beckhamesq Geremi on the right, the happy go lucky tricky winger N'Zogbia on the left & the lad known as "Wall" Faye is @ DM. The attack if known as FIVE star with England duo Michael Owen & the clubs top goalscorer Alan Smith backed up by 3 brilliant consistent strikers in Oba, Viduka & Shola. They managed to get us into the UEFA cup in BSA first season & who can forget qualifying for the CL via 2nd place in the league in Big Sams 2nd season. Adidas renewing there contract in a blockbuster deal. The local bank getting replaced by Microsoft. Happy f***ing days in Never Never Land.

Keep reading about Shep going mental but the "£50K a week" players Ashley hates having on the books, am I right in thinking everyone of them on the books now was signed during the Ashley era?

You would be correct sir.

That is my ire with people saying ashley inherited a mess from shepherd, he did and then promptly made it even worse.

Tbf to Ashley though he was under the influnce of Sheps last move the Allardyce. Not wanting to get NE5 about it but we DID NOT go into administration but we DID get relegated. Lets deal in what has happened rather would could but never did.

I blame fat sam hippodyce as much as Ashley for those signing in the first bit of the Ashley era. Viduka, geremi, Smith etc all on mad wages...

Keep reading about Shep going mental but the "£50K a week" players Ashley hates having on the books, am I right in thinking everyone of them on the books now was signed during the Ashley era?

That is my ire with people saying ashley inherited a mess from shepherd, he did and then promptly made it even worse.

Tbf to Ashley though he was under the influnce of Sheps last move the Allardyce. Not wanting to get NE5 about it but we DID NOT go into administration but we DID get relegated. Lets deal in what has happened rather would could but never did.

I blame fat sam hippodyce as much as Ashley for those signing in the first bit of the Ashley era. Viduka, geremi, Smith etc all on mad wages...

I remember Sam putting the newly arrived Ashley under considerable pressure in the press -- "He doesn't understand, we have to spend quickly -- now! -- while there are still some players left to buy!"

I remember Sam putting the newly arrived Ashley under considerable pressure in the press -- "He doesn't understand, we have to spend quickly -- now! -- while there are still some players left to buy!"

It was a double mugging. First Hall and Sheps and then waiting round the corner to catch a grogy Ashley was Jabba.  :razz:

It was a double mugging. First Hall and Sheps and then waiting round the corner to catch a grogy Ashley was Jabba.  :razz:

:lol:

This debate is kinda moot anyway. Without the injection of cash from Ashley the club would have been inslolvent.

Am I right in thinking Sir John Hall who sold his shares for £55,342,223 & the Shepherd family who got £37.6million for theres would of let or would been unable to stop Newcastle going inslolvent.

This debate is kinda moot anyway. Without the injection of cash from Ashley the club would have been inslolvent.

Am I right in thinking Sir John Hall who sold his shares for £55,342,223 & the Shepherd family who got £37.6million for theres would of let or would been unable to stop Newcastle going inslolvent.

I'm not an expert but to me it looked like the credit lines were nearly dried up and the loans/future earnings were already tied up/spent. It was also at a time that player wages were becoming a danger at a fair few clubs. The greed of agents and players has nearly destroyed the game imo.

I'm not an expert but to me it looked like the credit lines were nearly dried up and the loans/future earnings were already tied up/spent. It was also at a time that player wages were becoming a danger at a fair few clubs. The greed of agents and players has nearly destroyed the game imo.

Oh I think your spot on about the credit lines. I tend to think if them fuckers have got the best part of £100 million in shares then NUFC is not going bust because the pair of them are nasty fuckers but they are survivors.

you have to look at the hypothetical issue of where we would be now if Shepherd had remained in charge.

Why do we have to deal in hypothetical? We know what happened & we know where we are. This is not Back To Future ffs!!! You can paint the picture of doom but what if Sam had of worked for the bloke that employed him & his record is pretty good working for these sort of chaps. It was a brilliant season with  Shay in goal. The lovable Brazilian veteran Cacapa in front of him who is nicknamed "The Don" as he runs the back 4 while never going faster than 4mph, beside him is Geordie favorite Rozehnal. The new fullback pairing of Beye & Enrique are as good as anything people have seen before. The midfield is made up of play maker & captain the ever present  Joey Barton, the Beckhamesq Geremi on the right, the happy go lucky tricky winger N'Zogbia on the left & the lad known as "Wall" Faye is @ DM. The attack if known as FIVE star with England duo Michael Owen & the clubs top goalscorer Alan Smith backed up by 3 brilliant consistent strikers in Oba, Viduka & Shola. They managed to get us into the UEFA cup in BSA first season & who can forget qualifying for the CL via 2nd place in the league in Big Sams 2nd season. Adidas renewing there contract in a blockbuster deal. The local bank getting replaced by Microsoft. Happy f***ing days in Never Never Land.

Thats a very nice flip side of the hypothetical.  But the reality is, and we all know this. The club would have be a lot worse off then we are now (it could have been like southampton) if Shepard had control of the club much longer then he did.

No wonder SJH sold to the first mug willing to pay over the odds for us, and no wonder Ashley is pissed at us. Ripped of by Geordies, torn into by 40K plus fans just about every other week at SJP.

This is by no ways and means me siding with him, cause that would be impossible the guys the luckiest business man around and a grade A++ tit to boot and the sooner he's gone the better and i'm sure he feels the same.

Thats a very nice flip side of the hypothetical.  But the reality is, and we all know this. The club would have be a lot worse off then we are now (it could have been like southampton) if Shepard had control of the club much longer then he did.

No wonder SJH sold to the first mug willing to pay over the odds for us, and no wonder Ashley is pissed at us. Ripped of by Geordies, torn into by 40K plus fans just about every other week at SJP.

This is by no ways and means me siding with him, cause that would be impossible the guys the luckiest business man around and a grade A++ tit to boot and the sooner he's gone the better and i'm sure he feels the same.

The Ashley cluster fuck was exacerbated by the financial crisis in which he lost nearly half his paper value.

Yeah thats right, i believe that the club would have been de-listed from the stock exchange and assest stiped as much

The Ashley cluster f*** was exacerbated by the financial crisis in which he lost nearly half his paper value.

Are we lucky to be here right now seeing what could have been, or would it have been better to go belly up and sink ?

btw i really don't know how to call it. I'm slightly siding with  Ashley for the pure reason that it would kill the NE that little bit more. The club is the pulse of the city and without beating strong things would be that little bit sadder

The reality is, and we all know this. The club would have be a lot worse off then we are now (it could have been like southampton) if Shepard had control of the club much longer then he did.

"The reality is, and we all know this." errrrrrrrrrr no we dont. Go back to 2007 & you have just herd the news the UK's 25th wealthiest person worth £1.9 billion has taken over NUFC. Did that pan out the way we all thought?

All said and done we're in the top half of the PL with one of the most promising young strikers in the country. Look on the bright side.

Aye lets do that before this turns into some type of s*** version of Mick/NE5 banter. That Shola is starting to show his potential now.

All said and done we're in the top half of the PL with one of the most promising young strikers in the country. Look on the bright side.

Aye lets do that before this turns into some type of s*** version of Mick/NE5 banter. That Shola is starting to show his potential now.

:lol:

Great article. We all know Ashley's footballing failings, so they don't need to be gone over again.

Yet more evidence that FFS was a disaster and should not be welcomed back in any shape or form in place of the FCB.

Bit of a shocker that it was Ashley that had to pay off Souness.

The article says that our wage bill is still too high, which may or may not lend credence to any battlelines with Hughton regarding player departures.

If our wage bill is still too high, who's got to go?

Ideally it would be Smith but no-one will take him without us paying off a good part of the contract, so who gives us least value for money? Jonas? Colo?

Nolan and Barton will be on good wedge but they're producing for the team.

I think English football has basically gone through a bubble where all clubs have been living on the never never.

This has been to the disadvantage of the well-supported teams, because the Portsmouths etc. have been able to offer wages that were completely unsustainable for them and everyone else.

Now the debt is draining out of football, clubs with large fanbases and good matchday attendances should become relatively stronger again.

been saying this to gimp for the jast 5 years

Very good read! Sheds a lot of light on our owner, I for one have had my opinion changed towards him. I feel that he is trying to implement business virtues into a football club that has grown accustomed to "luxuries & riches" from previous regimes and he is being made to pay for it.

If he does get Newcastle onto an even keel economically, i would like to see what he does if we reach european spots.

The biggest and most obvious mistake (to me) that ashley is making (has made) is the selction of our manager, this has to be one of the most influential posts in regard to raising income which would come automatically via better league position.

I also understand that Ashley will be restricted in that choice (woah..see Pardew!) because any "top" manager will want assurances of funds and wages to attract top players...

I suppose we will just have to have faith that we uncover many diamonds (a la Carrol/ranger...) and wait four or five years to see if we do become a success both on and off the pitch...

Fingers crossed!

P.S. Ashley, you are now rated at 5/10 on my personal hate scale (improvement from 1!!)