Dale Roberts

Tooj

Guest toonlass

I wonder if those who have little sympathy with the bloke for committing suicide would also have little sympathy if he had died from cancer? Is it just mental illness that draws such little sympathy or do all serious medical conditions mean that little to you? People who commit suicide are not able to perceive things in the same way as they normally would be expected to. Personally I feel extremely sympathetic to the lad, he must have been in terrible anguish before he died, and I hope that no-one on here ever goes through that kind of pain.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Thoughts go out to his friends and family, they'll be eating themselves up over this, wondering if they missed anything.

RIP.

I wonder if those who have little sympathy with the bloke for committing suicide would also have little sympathy if he had died from cancer? Is it just mental illness that draws such little sympathy or do all serious medical conditions mean that little to you? People who commit suicide are not able to perceive things in the same way as they normally would be expected to. Personally I feel extremely sympathetic to the lad, he must have been in terrible anguish before he died, and I hope that no-one on here ever goes through that kind of pain.

I have sympathy for the lad, of course I do. He must have been in a terrible place mentally to go and hang himself.

But my stance on suicide is the same as it is with the death penalty, abortion and euthanasia - I just can't get it. There's always an alternative for me, always some sort of solution. I'm not religious, it's kind of about fate. You die when you're supposed to, not when you choose to (or someone chooses it for you).

Where exactly have I revealed myself to be insensitive to depression? I didn't say I had no sympathy whatsoever for the lad.

And my post is far away from the most harsh in this thread, so why is it that it's my attitude being scrutinized?

Because you strongly hint at an absurd/bitter antipathy towards just over half the human race (as well as most on this forum)?

What on earth are you talking about? I don't have as much sympathy for someone who consciously ends their life as I would for someone who has no say in the matter. I cannot comprehend someone ever wanting to end their life without a terminal/horrically disabling illness being involved, it's a simple as that. 

Nail on the head. Have read some of the other posts on here in utter disbelief.

Me and Ronaldo have steered this thread into murky water. Here we go :laugh:

Unfortunately, a lot on here clearly view the act of conformation as a more valuable commodity than freedom of speech. You can usually find the same folk in the queue for anti-depressants.

Is it really so insensitive to suggest that someone who chooses to die, wants to die, and is therefore in a position of power denied to cancer sufferers? Of course not.

I'm pretty sure the bloke genuinly didn't "want to die" like. In reality he more than likely chose to end his life as he believed it was the only way to end his suffering (whether or not you or me deem his circumstance worthy of killing yoursel over is a differant matter). It's easy to sit back and say "he could have gotten help" or "he could have ridden the storm", but if HE saw these as viable options then i'm pretty cirtain he would have took them.

I'm not saying anyone who comits suicide is deserving of great sympathy, but if the reason your choose not to sympathise with them is because "it's there choice" then I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

Change "don't have sympathy" to "have limited sympathy" then if it makes you feel better.

The point still stands that this whole "it's his own choice" attitude is pretty daft.

I really don't want to be saying this in a thread so soon after his death, but whilst I understand where you're coming from in terms of how difficult things were going in his life, nobody forced him to hang himself.

Me and Ronaldo have steered this thread into murky water. Here we go :laugh:

Unfortunately, a lot on here clearly view the act of conformation as a more valuable commodity than freedom of speech. You can usually find the same folk in the queue for anti-depressants.

Is it really so insensitive to suggest that someone who chooses to die, wants to die, and is therefore in a position of power denied to cancer sufferers? Of course not.

Still not grasping the most basic point I see. Depression/mental health problems are illnesses as well, and suicide is a consequence.

It seems he was forced by his own heartache (as gay as that sounds). This obviosly wasn't just your usual break-up, go down the pub and get pissed etc, clearly the women was his life, and clearly whatever happened mentaly fucked him up, to put it brashly.

Now i'm not a phychologist but I realy cannot see anyone choosing to kill the sell withought first crossing off every other option they can think of, I imagine than in the state of mind there currently in it's THE last resort.

We're talking abouse someone taking there own life here you know, not just smashing there phone on the floor because there a bit pissed off.

It seems he was forced by his own heartache (as gay as that sounds). This obviosly wasn't just your usual break-up, go down the pub and get pissed etc, clearly the women was his life, and clearly whatever happened mentaly f***ed him up, to put it brashly.

Now i'm not a phychologist but I realy cannot see anyone choosing to kill the sell withought first crossing off every other option they can think of, I imagine than in the state of mind there currently in it's THE last resort.

We're talking abouse someone taking there own life here you know, not just smashing there phone on the floor because there a bit pissed off.

I know. And he had every right to make that choice, and the pain/anguish going through him must have been terrible and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Doesn't mean I agree with it though.

There are always options in life. Too many people in society hide behind this depression nonsense.

Aye i'm sure thats exactly what he did like, hide behind all this depression nonsense, I bet he just topped his sell to prove a point. :dowie:

And where on earth did I suggest that?

It seems he was forced by his own heartache (as gay as that sounds). This obviosly wasn't just your usual break-up, go down the pub and get pissed etc, clearly the women was his life, and clearly whatever happened mentaly f***ed him up, to put it brashly.

I know. And he had every right to make that choice, and the pain/anguish going through him must have been terrible and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Doesn't mean I agree with it though.

Fair enough, I just personay think it's easier to say "he made the wrong choice" when you haven't been in his shoes. As has been said theres no way the lad would have wanted to die, but in his state of mind I imagine that was what he believed to be the only option.

There are always options in life. Too many people in society hide behind this depression nonsense.

Aye i'm sure thats exactly what he did like, hide behind all this depression nonsense, I bet he just topped his sell to prove a point. :dowie:

And where on earth did I suggest that?

By suggesting he had other options but couldnt see them because he was too busy hiding behind the fabled depression.

Or was he not included in that sweeping generalisation?