Newcastle 2 - 1 Celta Vigo Post match thoughts

Dave

just checked the Uefa Cup rules and its GOAL DIFFERENCE used as the first factor in seperating teams on the same points. We need one more point to finish top.

Ridiculous, why don't they have the same rules for UEFA and CL?

Because in the Champions League they play each other home & away so it's fairer if it comes to away goals, whereas say for example we finish level with Eintracht Frankfurt, we finish lower despite a better goal difference just because they beat us 1-0 on their ground.

That does make sense...

eekout.gif

Guest Murwinduck

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UEFACup/Standings/Round=2365/Group=2706.html

We've virtually finished top.

Palermo, Celta and Frankfurt are all unable to finish top.

Fenerbahce have to win BOTH their games. We HAVE to lose in Frankfurt. Anything else, we finish top.

First place is all but in the bag. Cracking. :thup:

Fenerbahce can win both their games.. so defeat frankfurt and dont think about that :D

Given  6,  Didn't have much to do.

Ramage 6, Wasn't tested that much and did ok. Solid enough, tryed a few foward runs towards the end of the game but again his end product was lacking. 

Fatso 6.5,  Was solid enough but their lone striker didn't exactly pull up trees last night. Stayed focus throughout the match but none the less made a silly clearence earlier on in the game under no real pressure, tryed to hoof the ball upfield but some how ended up in Given's arms behind him.

Taylor 6.5, Same as Fatso solid enough weren't tested that much, had a confusion with Given early on in the game but took his goal well in the end.

Solano 7,  Adapted well to right back, good positioning, stayed focus, very comfortable in possession, some neat passes out of danger and read the game very well.  Again like Ramage was not really tested that much and not had any pacey wingers running at him.

Luque 6,  Started off the game very poor, had a decent chance to test the keeper and even score in the first minute but fired wide.  This had seem to drain all confidence out of him which he did not have much to begin with. He worked hard for the rest of the game and tryed to graft more than he usually do, think he was trying too hard and fumbled a few first touches.  Credit for a few good crosses which almost enabled Sib to score a second only for the frenchman to be out fought by the Celta's defender.  Sublime taken corner for Taylor to nod home the second.

N'Zogbia 5,  Very poor 5 might be abit generous but we can't be too harsh on our so called young future star. Or can we?  Looked way out of his depth, played in his prefered central role but was even more of a lackluster performance than his usuall wide position.  When the ball was near him he did not endevour to win it but leaving it to his team mates to collect instead, very static most of the game strolling around and looked disheartened.  Very reminisant of a so called gentleman in his latter days playing for us, Jermaine Jenas.  Perked up abit towards the end of the game after the substitution were made.  Must do better.

Butt 7,  Worked very hard. Got stuck in and was more than willing to stick things in where it might hurt.  Did a two man job with Zog going awol, kept it simple, got the ball and passed.  Was a catalyst for our come back as he upped the tempo of his game by getting in early and passing the ball out fast.

Emre 6.5,  Worked in tandum with Butt, collected the ball, neat and tidy and passed out well.  Tryed a few long shots and he was always positive.  Earlier on in the game had a bramble-esk style (Fatso type) kind of cock up.  Went in for a soft fairy-like challenge which enable the opposition through on goal.  Overall not a bad performance.

Milner 7,  Not much to say about this young man.  Was his usuall self, hard work rate, vast energy and ran the flanks well protecting the Nobster.  7 might be abit generous as most of the game did bypass him as the opposition tryed and forced the game through the middle with their narrow formation.  Again a sublime cross for Sib to head home.

Sibierski 7.5,  Took his goal well as he slightly stooped down to nod the ball home thanks to a excellent cross from Milner.  He worked hard but some times still looks quite unconvincing.  He seems to get his head on the ball most of the time for the sake of getting his head

on the ball, almost like he's afraid of being seen like he's not trying if he does not go in for every challenge in the air.  Thus trying too hard, most of the times his aerial challenges leads to the ball going wayward instead of nodding it towards his own team mates.  He's no Alan Shearer.  And yes we know Sib is not really a striker.

Team 7

Rodent 6.5

Ref. 8

Crowd 6.

Man of the Match = Dick Van Egmond!

nah just kidding.  MotM = Sibierski.

as wullie i really enjoyed this game - we played some very good football at times, but there were also some awful patches. but all in all i think we did well.

positives - two goals, comming from behind, taylor scoring and his celebrations, nobby's performance at rb!

negatives - charlie, emre and most of all ramage!

Guest theunis

Negatives:

Nzog- didnt get the ball much and when he got it only excited me once :( think he is better when he has more space out wide.

Ramage: He is a great guy gives his all but looked sloppy last night

Laque: Not really a negative but he really tried to hard, you could see he wanted to do well so much but just tried to hard, i would give him another chance though.

Milner: Gave the ball away to easy some times, but his cross for the goal was brilliant.

Positives:

Nobby: Looked calm with the ball nice distribution and just looked relaxed compared to ramage on the other side.

Bramble: Normaly he is useless, but looked ok, though only 1 striker to watch but he seemed to do the job well last night was amazed 2 OK games

Butt: Just showed his experience and calmness, did break up 1 or 2 attacks well but he just makes it look easy

What u people think Pearson effect helping Bramble, because something is happening at least with our defence, doesnt chance my thoughts though we need a defender

Was a poor game really, poor tunrout but we won massive + and Nobby did well at RB and I also thought Bramble had a good game.

Was Luque wearing cloggs ? and as much as I love Sibi why does he stay down for ages after everyt ackle made on him ?  bluebiggrin.gif

bluecry.gif bluecry.gif bluecry.gif

Remember the classic team you had in the late 90s - Karpin, Mostovoi, Revivo, Makelele, Gustavo Lopez and Catanha.... Feckin Awesome football team

aye, i used to love managing them on championship manager! Catanha used to score loads of goals for me.

Guest celta_supporter

bluecry.gif bluecry.gif bluecry.gif

Remember the classic team you had in the late 90s - Karpin, Mostovoi, Revivo, Makelele, Gustavo Lopez and Catanha.... Feckin Awesome football team

Oh! Thanks! Very good team hehe. You must win Fenerbahçe!! Let´s Go Newcastle!!

NSG thank you http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/Smileys//Lots_O_Smileys/icon_lol.gif

Was a poor game really, poor tunrout but we won massive + and Nobby did well at RB and I also thought Bramble had a good game.

Was Luque wearing cloggs ? and as much as I love Sibi why does he stay down for ages after everyt ackle made on him ?  bluebiggrin.gif

i thought that, very annoying, duff does it n all, actually duff doesnt even need to be touched to go flying on the floor crying likr a baby!

Guest newcastle4life

First-half diagnosis?

Poor going forward apart from goal and apart from there goal good defending

Second-half diagnosis?

bit better than second werent put under any pressure

Full-time diagnosis?

solid in defense but need to create more chances and have more than Sib in the box for crosses

Star man for United?

Siberski good display especially as he was on is own most of the game

Worst United player?

Luque although i though there was effort and he did create the second goal

Opposition comment?

poor one good shot that it

Toon-pros?

defense

coming from behind to win

Toon-cons?

lack of creativity for most of the game

Post-match feelings?