Newcastle 2 - 1 Celta Vigo Post match thoughts

Dave

Guest Invicta_Toon

Great win, only bad thing is that Roeder might play some kind of shit team in Frankfurt, but at least Luque will play, cause he won't play sunday, it's an important game...

so what?

Great win, only bad thing is that Roeder might play some kind of shit team in Frankfurt, but at least Luque will play, cause he won't play sunday, it's an important game...

so what?

Exactly.

Weird how all our wins but two this season, have come with 'weakened' sides...

"strength to strength"?  blueconfused.gif i'd hardly call us worldbeaters.

Do u honestly reckon we'll beat pompey? im worried we'll come back down to earth on sunday.

Luque deserves a 10 season run in the side, after that corner kick he took

so what?

So what, some people are going to Frankfurt, I would have liked to see more than a bunch of U19 players...

Guest Invicta_Toon

"strength to strength"?  blueconfused.gif i'd hardly call us worldbeaters.

Do u honestly reckon we'll beat pompey? im worried we'll come back down to earth on sunday.

Luque deserves a 10 season run in the side, after that corner kick he took

FUCK OFF

Chuffed we won, great result.

Performance wise, though Taylor was excellent at the back and scored a good goal. Sib played well, but I thought N'Zogbia was awful. Everytime he controlled it in the final third it bobbled up and/or he'd run into people.

Given 6 - Not much to do, shame about the goal

Solano 8 - Looked really good in his new position, lets hope we stay with him for Sunday

Taylor 7 - Nice to see him get a goal, otherwise a pretty solid game

Bramble 7 - Apart from the wild swing and miss early in the game not bad

Ramage 6 - Feel sorry for the guy being played out of position, surely there must be someone who could do a better job than him

Milner 9 - Excellent, started slowly and I thought he looked well off the pace for the first 20, but after that he was excellent, really have to keep him playing on the right.  Nice run to beat 3/4 players late in the game!

Butt 7 - Solid, I would keep him in the team as I think we need a DM

Emre 6 - I like that he always puts 100% in but his final ball is terrible for a so called top international

N'Zogbia 6 - Thought he was better than some of his recent games but would prefer him on the left

Sibierski 8 - Played really well, held up the ball the best he could and has some nice touches

Luque 6 - Really can't make up my mind about this guy, you know the quality is in there when he whips in some decent crosses and a corner better than Emre has managed all season, but I can't stand a player not trying. I have a feeling he will be lucky to get on the bench for Sunday.

Roeder 7 - The opposition played some pretty football but never really threatened.  Well done to him for getting us through the group but it will mean very little if we don't get 3 points on Sunday!

Commentators 4 - John Barnes is a legend, but so bad as a commentator he makes Ron Atkinson look good! :)

Guest SmileyCulture

If we dont beat pompey saturday there is deffinately something wrong, throw dyer, martins & milner into the team for some of the weaker players and we should be looking for a clear win.

:)

First-half diagnosis?

Never look like conceding a goal despite that we did concede a goal.

Second-half diagnosis?

Nevcer look like conceding another goal and look like we will score one eventually. We scored 2! ;)

Full-time diagnosis?

Good defending to be honest. So-so attacking. Luque looks rusty, but not lacking any effort. We are lucky to score both goals.

Star man for United?

Titus Bramble - 9

Antonio Sibierski - 9

Worst United player?

Steven Taylor - Should have been sent off for that elbow. Stupid fouls after stupid fouls. Scored a goal though - 5

N'Zogbia - Lacking confident - 5

Opposition comment?

Players are technical.

Toon-pros?

Good character. Physical.

Toon-cons?

Poor ball controls. Can't keep possesion.

Post-match feelings?

Delighted for the win obviously. We can afford to lose against Frankfurt!

By the way, when you look at Martins and Sibierski up front, it's very hard to tell if you didn't know, who we bought for £10m and who we got for free. I would say Sibi for £10m... bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Martins was pretty lively when he came on. Didn't do bad. :?

He should have started.

By the way, when you look at Martins and Sibierski up front, it's very hard to tell if you didn't know, who we bought for £10m and who we got for free. I would say Sibi for £10m...  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Umm, not really. Martins should have started if anything, didn't have enough time to leave an impression.

By the way, when you look at Martins and Sibierski up front, it's very hard to tell if you didn't know, who we bought for £10m and who we got for free. I would say Sibi for £10m... bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

Martins was pretty lively when he came on. Didn't do bad. :?

He should have started.

Agree on that, but still Sibi did a great game...

N'Zogbia needs to play on the left for a run of games now. All he needs is a goal to get his confidence back. Nobby was very solid, Bramble was his mixed bag once again with his silly mistake but solid otherwise, Taylor had a good game, Milner was very good, and Emre had quite a good game. Sibierski was superb until he tired towards the end. Some excellent touches. Parker and Martins played there part as well. Martins got the ball and ran at the defence a few times, Parker kept it simple and won the corner which led to the goal.

Guest Invicta_Toon

N'Zogbia needs to play on the left for a run of games now. All he needs is a goal to get his confidence back. Nobby was very solid, Bramble was his mixed bag once again with his silly mistake but solid otherwise, Taylor had a good game, Milner was very good, and Emre had quite a good game. Sibierski was superb until he tired towards the end. Some excellent touches. Parker and Martins played there part as well. Martins got the ball and ran at the defence a few times, Parker kept it simple and won the corner which led to the goal.

is this team just full of fragile women?

Great win. If we could play in the PL like we do in Europe we'd win the league. Great composure, good passing, came from behind, two good goals, nothing particularly stupid, patient. Like a different team.

Thought everyone played well except Luque and Ramage. Solano looks a better right-back than Carr, tbh. Thought Butt was having a good game and was surprised to see him come off. Having said that, Parker played some excellent balls when he came on, although he possibly didn't have the discipline of Butt.

A good professional performance, really, like every match so far in Europe.

Just read this on a spurs board:

"I just saw the strangest thing - Taylor got a late winner for the Barcodes and absolutely no one ran up to him to celebrate. How odd is that? He ran all down the touchline, celebrating all on his lonesome.

<conspiracy theory> I reckon he's off in January </conspiracy theory>"

:lol:

Shay Given - Didn't really have a huge amount to do, and he made the saves where possible. Kicking was absolutely woeful, though. 6.

Nolberto Solano - Great performance from Nobby. His positioning, passing, co-ordination, organisation was all excellent. My MOTM purely down to a faultless performance. 8.

Steven Taylor - Defensively was OK, had a bit of a mare with their goal, though. Fantastic header to win the match. Absolutely chuffed for him. 6.

Titus Bramble - See Taylor: wasn't particularly bad. Still one or two fill your pants moments though, and his long balls were just terrible. 6.

Peter Ramage - Bad game for Ramage... worst of the season infact. Simply not a left-back, he just looked on another planet tonight. 5.

James Milner - Not a bad game from Milner, though he wasn't really in it. One or two nice runs and a fantastic cross for the goal. He could have done with a bit more help from right-back, though. That's my only criticism of Nobby, tbh. 7.

Belozoglu Emre - He was alright. One or two nice tackles in the middle, but he was a bit careless in the opposition's half. Drifted towards the end of his game. 6.

Nicky Butt - Not great. He started hurrendously, but he picked up as the game went on, simply by becoming pretty much invisible. Was he on the pitch? 6.

Charles N'Zogbia - Poor game from N'Zogbia, and it's so sad that he's faltered because he was awesome last season. Bad control, bad passing, bad shooting, bad performance. 4.

Albert Luque - Not brilliant, not terrible. Some of his crosses were excellent, and the corner was better than all of Emre's this season rolled into one. Sloppy elsewhere, though. 6.

Antoine Sibierski - Decent game from Sibierski. Great headed goal and he held the play up really well. Unfortunately, thanks to the tactics, he had no one to hold the ball up for. 7.

Subs:

Scott Parker - 7.

Obafemi Martins - 7.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ok Milner didn't slip this time for the cross so what excuse are people going to come up with for another excellent cross?

a bit of Luque's sweat landed on him at some point in the match