Tottenham 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/12/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

Went to the game yesterday, tried to post on here via the phone but signal kept coming and going.  Didn't get back home til early hours this morning...

My thoughts on the game, looked like we came to get a draw or nick a win by one goal. The sad thing is that Spurs were not at their best and we could have got a draw.  I hate it when we line up 4-5-1.  Barton seemed to be the only player supporting Carroll at times which made it easy for Spurs to defend. I was really unhappy with Alan Smith's performance, thought for most of the game he was hidden away.  Tiote played really well and should have never come off.  Only problem with Tiote in the game was that he found himself up the pitch with the ball far too much and he doesn't really know what to do with it then. There was one point where he won the ball high up the pitch and it was 2 vs 2 with him and Carroll but Tiote shot and it was an easy save for Gomes.  They needed to be punished Spurs for that slip-up really.

Jonas and Routledge were a bit poor/average, but that maybe because of how Lennon and Bale looked in the second half.  I thought Perch and Simpson were going to get destroyed but it wasn't until the second half did Spurs bother attacking the flanks hard.  First half Perch and Simpson did ok, second half they both did the one thing I hate most about full backs... dropping back and back and back and back away from the winger attacking you.  I hate it.  Both goals could have been avoided if either of them had the balls to stand their ground higher up the pitch and make a tackle, even catch the man if you can and make it look by accident to kill the attack.  Of course you could argue that if he fails in his challenge the winger has a clear run, but in a way he kind of does already as both got close enough to score goals from our full backs dropping back. For me if a full back tries and fails with a challenge higher up the pitch there is still a centre back or a centre mid available to help cover.

Ranger didn't really get going when he came on, and I think at that point Spurs had us sussed and just kept it tight and busy in defence.  Barton was the only player who looked like he could produce something in open play, but sadly his set pieces were shocking at times.  I think we missed Nolan massively, he and Carroll give defenders headaches as they are both good in the air and with the ball at their feet in the box.  Didn't think our centre backs got too much wrong, and Krul was ok too.

We badly need to offload Smith and replace with another Nolan/Barton type of talent. We need more spark and skill in games and Smith looks so past it that it makes me want to cry knowing that he gets paid so much money for being shite.

On a more positive note, I thought the Toon supporters were brilliant in the first half, made a right fucking noise.  Couldn't even hear the Spurs fans.

I read in today's Journal that not since 2002 have we won a single of our two fixtures immediately following Christmas Day.

That's fairly appalling, if true.

NUFC - Boxing Day Record - Premier League era:

2010/11 Man City (h) lost 1-3

2009/10 Sheffield Wed (a) drew 2-2 (Championship)

2008/09 Wigan (a) lost 1-2

2007/08 Wigan (a) lost 0-1

2006/07 Bolton (a) lost 1-2

2005/06 Liverpool (a) lost 0-2

2004/05 Blackburn (a) drew 2-2

2003/04 Leicester (a) drew 1-1

2002/03 Bolton (a) lost 3-4

2001/02 smoggies (h) won 3-0

2000/01 Leeds (h) won 2-1

1999/00 Liverpool (h) drew 2-2

1998/99 Leeds (h) lost 0-3

1997/98 Derby (a) lost 0-1

1996/97 Blackburn (a) lost 0-1

1995/96 no game

1994/95 Leeds (a) drew 0-0

1993/94 no game

First footing: United's opening game of the year:

1991 Oldham Athletic (a) drew 1-1

1992 Southend United (a) lost 0-4

1993 Port Vale (h) won 4-0

1994 Manchester City (h) won 2-0

1995 Manchester City (h) drew 0-0

1996 Arsenal (h) won 2-0

1997 Leeds (h) won 3-0

1998 Everton (a) won 1-0 (FAC)

1999 Crystal Palace (a) won 2-1 (FAC)

2000 West Ham (h) drew 2-2

2001 Spurs (a) lost 2-4

2002 Manchester United (a) lost 1-3

2003 Liverpool (h) won 1-0

2004 Southampton (a) won 3-0 (FAC)

2005 Birmingham City (h) won 2-1

2006 smoggies (h) drew 2-2

2007 Man United (h) drew 2-2

2008 Man City (h) lost 0-2

2009 Hull City (a) drew 0-0 (FAC)

2010 Plymouth (a) drew 0-0 ((FAC)

We're not actually too bad first game of the year. Boxing Day though: :suicide:.

Went to the game yesterday, tried to post on here via the phone but signal kept coming and going.  Didn't get back home til early hours this morning...

My thoughts on the game, looked like we came to get a draw or nick a win by one goal. The sad thing is that Spurs were not at their best and we could have got a draw.  I hate it when we line up 4-5-1.  Barton seemed to be the only player supporting Carroll at times which made it easy for Spurs to defend. I was really unhappy with Alan Smith's performance, thought for most of the game he was hidden away.  Tiote played really well and should have never come off.  Only problem with Tiote in the game was that he found himself up the pitch with the ball far too much and he doesn't really know what to do with it then. There was one point where he won the ball high up the pitch and it was 2 vs 2 with him and Carroll but Tiote shot and it was an easy save for Gomes.  They needed to be punished Spurs for that slip-up really.

Jonas and Routledge were a bit poor/average, but that maybe because of how Lennon and Bale looked in the second half.  I thought Perch and Simpson were going to get destroyed but it wasn't until the second half did Spurs bother attacking the flanks hard.  First half Perch and Simpson did ok, second half they both did the one thing I hate most about full backs... dropping back and back and back and back away from the winger attacking you.  I hate it.  Both goals could have been avoided if either of them had the balls to stand their ground higher up the pitch and make a tackle, even catch the man if you can and make it look by accident to kill the attack.  Of course you could argue that if he fails in his challenge the winger has a clear run, but in a way he kind of does already as both got close enough to score goals from our full backs dropping back. For me if a full back tries and fails with a challenge higher up the pitch there is still a centre back or a centre mid available to help cover.

Ranger didn't really get going when he came on, and I think at that point Spurs had us sussed and just kept it tight and busy in defence.  Barton was the only player who looked like he could produce something in open play, but sadly his set pieces were shocking at times.  I think we missed Nolan massively, he and Carroll give defenders headaches as they are both good in the air and with the ball at their feet in the box.  Didn't think our centre backs got too much wrong, and Krul was ok too.

We badly need to offload Smith and replace with another Nolan/Barton type of talent. We need more spark and skill in games and Smith looks so past it that it makes me want to cry knowing that he gets paid so much money for being s****.

On a more positive note, I thought the Toon supporters were brilliant in the first half, made a right f***ing noise.  Couldn't even hear the Spurs fans.

yeah we've been beating other clubs off who'd love to take him off our hands and pay him £50k a week and maybe more.

I'm one of Smith's biggest critics but his job yesterday was to stop Modric and van der Vaart from playing, which I felt he did.

Oh no you're not.

Smith was cack yesterday, couldn't pass a ball 5 yards and was doing his 3rd centerback thing again while Tiote did most of the dog work himself.

... but it was a decent game by his very low standards. I thought he was actually going to score :lol:

Tiote wasn't extremely lucky not to get sent off.

he was.

Thanks for being honest.

:facepalm:

:lol:

'Thick' never looks out of place under KD's username.

Untrue.

I'm pretty sure i have more qualifications than you and all your immediate family combined so your statement is false.

:mackems: