Tottenham 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/12/10 - post match reaction from page 27

Dave

These two last matches have been well s*** for my nephew's christmas mood. He'd been wearing his toon top all xmas, handled the Man City loss, but lost it during this and started f***ing crying when Bale scored. :lol:

I know how he feels.  :lol:

Our first team is just about acceptable and woyuld get us a mid table finish. our problem is when we have a couple of our first teamers missing...

Perch was way out of position all game and backed off far too much, smith was just a raging bull in the middle, didn't do a lot wrong but didn't play any "football".

I eagerly anticipate the return of ben Arfa, we need some quality ball into Carrol.

I dread the day Carrol is injured or suspended for a ciouple of games, we have absolutely nothing in reserve there...

As for the game, we put in a 100% effort but their quality was much better than ours, specially their wingers. Thier forward were controlled pretty well I thought. Also thought Krul was slow down on their first.

Jonas got subbed becuse he was at fault for their first goal, he gave away the ball. Pardew couldnt make a decent sub because we didnt have any midfielders on the bench. Smith was ok at patrolling the back, the issue is that he is not as energetic as tiote and isnt an attacking threat at all. We seemed to miss Nolan alot yesterday, if he was doing his normal goal sniff routine im sure we could of snuck a goal back. Much respect to Barton trying his bollocks off but he quite simply didnt have any support and was thus trying too hard. Away support was awesome and i just wish we scored some goals :( Flew half way round the world to watch this game and it was well worth it.  :smitten: the toon

Well hasn't merlin put a positive mark on this thread :lol:

There is nothing positive about being in the club's position - as Big Geordie said, one win in 8 games...are you positive about that ? Also, it WILL be a long wait before the club can compete with Spurs...is THAT positive ? Was I wrong about many other clubs being in a similar position of requiring at least 3 players to be a decent side and that some of them will spend where NUFC won't....right or wrong ?

The club has a first 11 that are OK - results over a season depend on more than just 11 decent players.

Let's see if its still as funny after we play W.Ham and Wigan...and if Carroll is injured......

Guest kingdawson

Just when I think KD's got better as a poster, he reverts to type time and again. Timeless.

You're an opportunitist in every sense of the word. Hopefully in real life you're nothing like how you are here.

Dave's original statement seemed genuine which is why Madras also questioned him on it. There was no hint of sarcasm so do one.

Guest kingdawson

Tiote wasn't extremely lucky not to get sent off.

he was.

Thanks for being honest.

:facepalm:

:lol:

'Thick' never looks out of place under KD's username.

Untrue.

I'm pretty sure i have more qualifications than you and all your immediate family combined so your statement is false.

Pretty depressing how the fortunes of these two clubs have gone in exactly opposite directions over the past five years.

We used to be competitive with this lot. When will that happen again?

You'll have a long wait........

We used to be competing for the same players, and because our prospects looked better then, we usually won out. The roles are reversed now, which means that Bale and Modric choose them rather than us. Those two marked the difference between the two sides.

In the absence of Nolan, we're heavily reliant on Carroll for goals, and he looked too isolated. That's the flip-side of playing a genuine 4-5-1.

Anyone thinking Routledge and Smith were worse than Jonas needs to really see the role they have in football tbh.

Agree with you on Smith, Routledge however...deary me.

what exactly is Smith's role then?...he just seems to stroll about and foul people every so often for what I can see

Guest Ridzuan

Smith had a decent game yesterday but putting him with Tiote together in the middle, we are not going to get anything moving forward. Not that we have any other option at the moment though.

Well here is a pretty positive piece on our performance yesterday (or at least on Carroll and Tiote) from one of the national hacks.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Tottenham-2-0-Newcastle-analysis-Why-resilient-Toons-biggest-battle-will-be-holding-onto-Andy-Carroll-by-Oliver-Holt-article659331.html

Why resilient Newcastle's biggest battle will be holding onto Andy Carroll, by Oliver Holt

By Oliver Holt in Mirror Football Blog

Published 20:34 28/12/10

Newcastle might have lost at White Hart Lane yesterday but nobody could ever accuse them of going quietly.

Nobody could say they accepted their fate meekly or without effort or determination.

If any team is going to have the guts to beat them, they are going to have the bruises to show for it.

Their new manager Alan Pardew said it was the worst his side had played since he took over.

But there was still something uplifting about the spirit his team showed as they fought for every ball against Spurs.

They played like a band of brothers, contesting everything, giving up on nothing, struggling for all they were worth.

You want a little glimpse of their attitude – when Younes Kaboul aimed a headbutt at the relentless Cheick Tiote, Tiote did not flinch.

He certainly did not go down clutching his face and rolling around in mock agony as many others would have done even though Kaboul had made no contact.

Tiote, who had been magnificently combative throughout the match, playing Wilson Palacios off the pitch – he was substituted at half-time – just stood there - defiantly, watching while Kaboul was shown the red card he deserved.

It was that kind of match, a blood and thunder battle between two good sides, won by the team with more flair and the guile of Luka Modric, who was more than equal to the aggression of Tiote and Alan Smith.

But what will live in the memory is the ferocity of the contest, the fact that no quarter was given and none was asked for.

If Tiote versus Modric was enthralling, the struggle between Andy Carroll and Michael Dawson was bone-shuddering, like watching two titans colliding.

Carroll is fast becoming one of the hottest properties in the Premier League and he only enhanced his reputation with this display in north London.

Playing as a lone striker, Carroll ran himself into the ground, making himself available for every pass, holding the ball up with strength and laying it off well.

When Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was asked about him afterwards, he summed him up in one word. “Handful,” he said with a wry smile.

Poor Palacios, who had a game he will want to forget, could not cope with Carroll. He tried to challenge him a couple of times and ended up on the floor clutching his face.

Some in the Spurs crowd suspected an elbow but replays absolved Carroll of blame. If any part of the Newcastle centre-forward connected with Palacios, it was a swish of his pony-tail. Palacios simply could not cope with his power.

Dawson managed better. He met fire with fire. Even though Carroll played well, he was not given any clear-cut chances and Dawson coped well with his aerial threat.

Carroll headed a half-chance narrowly over in the early stages, but thereafter his contribution was limited to working the channels and approach play.

He never gave up though as Heurelho Gomes found out in the closing stages when Carroll flattened him as the Spurs keeper leapt to claim a cross.

Pardew said afterwards that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley had assured him that Carroll will not be sold in the January transfer window.

That may be true but it would be a surprise if one of the country’s leading clubs does not test his resolve

Well here is a pretty positive piece on our performance yesterday (or at least on Carroll and Tiote) from one of the national hacks.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Tottenham-2-0-Newcastle-analysis-Why-resilient-Toons-biggest-battle-will-be-holding-onto-Andy-Carroll-by-Oliver-Holt-article659331.html

Why resilient Newcastle's biggest battle will be holding onto Andy Carroll, by Oliver Holt

By Oliver Holt in Mirror Football Blog

Published 20:34 28/12/10

Newcastle might have lost at White Hart Lane yesterday but nobody could ever accuse them of going quietly.

Nobody could say they accepted their fate meekly or without effort or determination.

If any team is going to have the guts to beat them, they are going to have the bruises to show for it.

Their new manager Alan Pardew said it was the worst his side had played since he took over.

But there was still something uplifting about the spirit his team showed as they fought for every ball against Spurs.

They played like a band of brothers, contesting everything, giving up on nothing, struggling for all they were worth.

You want a little glimpse of their attitude – when Younes Kaboul aimed a headbutt at the relentless Cheick Tiote, Tiote did not flinch.

He certainly did not go down clutching his face and rolling around in mock agony as many others would have done even though Kaboul had made no contact.

Tiote, who had been magnificently combative throughout the match, playing Wilson Palacios off the pitch – he was substituted at half-time – just stood there - defiantly, watching while Kaboul was shown the red card he deserved.

It was that kind of match, a blood and thunder battle between two good sides, won by the team with more flair and the guile of Luka Modric, who was more than equal to the aggression of Tiote and Alan Smith.

But what will live in the memory is the ferocity of the contest, the fact that no quarter was given and none was asked for.

If Tiote versus Modric was enthralling, the struggle between Andy Carroll and Michael Dawson was bone-shuddering, like watching two titans colliding.

Carroll is fast becoming one of the hottest properties in the Premier League and he only enhanced his reputation with this display in north London.

Playing as a lone striker, Carroll ran himself into the ground, making himself available for every pass, holding the ball up with strength and laying it off well.

When Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was asked about him afterwards, he summed him up in one word. “Handful,” he said with a wry smile.

Poor Palacios, who had a game he will want to forget, could not cope with Carroll. He tried to challenge him a couple of times and ended up on the floor clutching his face.

Some in the Spurs crowd suspected an elbow but replays absolved Carroll of blame. If any part of the Newcastle centre-forward connected with Palacios, it was a swish of his pony-tail. Palacios simply could not cope with his power.

Dawson managed better. He met fire with fire. Even though Carroll played well, he was not given any clear-cut chances and Dawson coped well with his aerial threat.

Carroll headed a half-chance narrowly over in the early stages, but thereafter his contribution was limited to working the channels and approach play.

He never gave up though as Heurelho Gomes found out in the closing stages when Carroll flattened him as the Spurs keeper leapt to claim a cross.

Pardew said afterwards that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley had assured him that Carroll will not be sold in the January transfer window.

That may be true but it would be a surprise if one of the country’s leading clubs does not test his resolve

Bone shuddering? Fire with fire? Titans colliding?

My word.

I hate those blue away shirt honestly, losers shirt for us

Aye we've been cack every time we've won it this season in the league.

Guest Ridzuan

Aye we've been cack every time we've won it this season in the league.

Its cursed! We should change back to our yellow stripes!

I rather like it, although it isn't doing very well for us at the minute I will agree. I reckon we'll be wearing it at Stevenage so could be a real bogey shirt if we have a bad day.

Article's a load of balls, man.

“They had people who could really influence the game on the bench, and for us, we need to add that sort of quality.

“That’s what we hope to aspire to.”

Sounds fair, tbh.