Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

Guest toonlass

Ranger comes across as too arrogant and too egocentrical. He has proved nothing so far, maybe Pardew is trying to knock some of the arrogance out of him with his comments. I'm not saying it's the right approach but maybe that is Pardew's thinking behind it. To teach Nile not to take his place in the squad as a guaranteed sub or even a possible starter for granted while he is unable to show more discipline.

Pardew has an obligation to pick the team he feels has the best chance of getting a result. If that means playing an arsehole then so be it.

If he wants to discipline any player then he should be doing it behind closed doors and picking him when it matters. Pardew making it personal and snubbing him doesn't help us win.

(Not disputing or condoning Ranger's indiscipline off the field btw)

Had a quick look and found this from midds - sums my feelings up in a better way than my words did :lol:

Public humiliation rarely motivates imo though. Possibly the worst thing he could have done as it'll only inflame the situation. 

You know, I am of the opinion that footballers should motivate themselves.

If Nile isn't driven by the desire to think "I am going to be NUFC's main strike partner for Andy", then no amount of varying management techniques will work.

Not disputing his attitude needs sorting. I'm disputing how Pardew is going about it. :thup:

surprising thing is it's a quite keeganesque thing to do.

Keegan was bullet-proof when he did it though. (You're thinking Beresford and Clark obviously.) 

and cole,venison and micky quinn.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Simmo Saylor Colo Jose

Tiote

Routledge Nolan Jonas

Carroll Lovenkrands

Barton dropped?

I like the fact that problems have been kept in house up till now in order to maintain a calm image.  However, when a player isn't picked then supporters are critical and often don't know the reasons behind a decision.

We had been aware in the past that there were discipline problems with Ranger but he himself has said in interviews that he has learnt his lesson and was knuckling down and the club have said nothing to contradict this.  Whilst I would prefer things to be kept in house, this is a reminder that Ranger has still not really addressed longstanding problems with his discpline.

It will only ever be 1-0 to Wigan when we play at the grim DW Stadium. A goal in fist half stoppage time and we'll be denied a second half penalty.

Krul

Simmo Saylor Colo Jose

Tiote

Routledge Nolan Jonas

Carroll Lovenkrands

Barton dropped?

That's not even the worst thing about that line up.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think we'll see

Krul

Simpson Taylor Coloccini  Enrique

Barton    Tiote      Nolan    Jonas

Carroll  Ranger

Can see Pardew giving Ranger a start, he knows he has to go 4-4-2 in this one, and we don't have many options. He was going to start Ranger against Birmingham, so we should see the same.

Krul

Simpson Taylor Coloccini  Enrique

Barton    Nolan    Tiote      Jonas

Ranger    Carroll

1-2 loss

This team for me and think it'll be a draw or narrow win. Only variations should be Willi in for Taylor or Harper (if fit) for Krul.

Got a horribile feeling Pardew will persist with Routledge on the Right and if this hapens i predict a loss. Very worried our season could now start to crumble after our promising start as cracks are appearing. Morale may start to crumble. His team selections have not been correct thus far in my opinion. Barton has to play on the right

Nolan being back should have a positive effect though on everything.

I see it more that he wants Barton in the centre (another of those 'hasn't actually seen us play' things) rather than wanting to keep Routledge in the team.

you don't think he put barton in the middle as he saw a choice between that and routledge outside as being better than barton wide right and guthrie in the middle ?

I see it more that he wants Barton in the centre (another of those 'hasn't actually seen us play' things) rather than wanting to keep Routledge in the team.

you don't think he put barton in the middle as he saw a choice between that and routledge outside as being better than barton wide right and guthrie in the middle ?

The choice was playing two strikers or not. He chose not to, the same as against City.

The choice was playing two strikers or not. He chose not to, as he had done against City.

honestly think was down to the opposition and playing away, expect to see 4-4-2 return against wigan. (if we can call nolan up front a 2 man forward line)

The choice was playing two strikers or not. He chose not to, as he had done against City.

honestly think was down to the opposition and playing away, expect to see 4-4-2 return against wigan. (if we can call nolan up front a 2 man forward line)

If Nolan's up front and we play 4-4-2 then that puts Barton in the middle again.

Toptoon still thinks Jonas is our best player. :thup:

sorry.... what?

Who are you?...... The resident w***** from hell?

I am able to speak for myself and that is not my opinion.

Ronaldo reckons Fat Sam was our greatest ever manager and that everyone on here is a complete prick.