Robbie Keane - ja oder nein?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

who else can we get whos better than him? good player, proven prem goalscorer and better than our other options (except ac9 obviously)

Perhaps we got lucky with Tiote but I think we should be buying a lot of players that I've never heard of, which is half the point of a scouting network.

That's the way I usually cop out when asked that question anyway.

who else can we get whos better than him?

Definitely not the approach we should be taking.

We need to sign the right players not any player just for the sake of getting someone in.

It's better no player than the wrong player.

I agree, but we do need a striker in January. Even someone marginally better than the current lot could make the difference.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

See Michael Owen during the relegation push

Yet you'd take a much older Beckham?

Beckham is a proven professional that has a desire for football, who's talent is based around technical ability. Almost the complete opposite of Michael Owen.

Guest kingdawson

The question should be whether or not you want to sign him, as Redknapp has once again confirmed he isn't going out on loan just today. Also there are a few premiership clubs that want him and are more than willing to take him on a permanent deal.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

A small part of me misses the kind of circus we'd see if Beckham came here. :blush:

I was working in town the day of the England game at SJP, and Beckham did some shopping down Northumberland Street. Popped into Virgin (where I worked), Footlocker, etc. The buzz was crazy, they closed Footlocker for him and people were swarming outside to look.  :lol:

I'd like Beckham to come to the Toon, but if I'm honest, we're not the best option for him to prolong his career.

Guest Heneage

Geremi, Duff, Butt, Smith, Owen... Robbie Keane.

Let someone else make the mistake this time, please.

It's a reasonable concern. :sadnod:

That's why a loan would make most sense, but :harry: says that's definitely not happening.

But is it? A squad needs balance to it.

You need the right mix behind youth and ability, and experience and quality. We can't build a team of Andy Carrolls and Tim Kruls, but at the same time we can't build a team of Jose Enriques and Cheik Tiotes, nor a team of Kevin Nolans and Robbie Keanes. Put them all together and we've got a good mix of a squad.

Putting Keane in the same bracket as Smith, Geremi and Owen just isn't fair IMO. He's better than that.

I disagree. He's been without regular matches for quite a while. An aging speed merchant. Transfer seems appealing based on past-glories. I'd say it mirrors the Owen situation quite closely.

I don't blame people for making mistakes, but repeating them is pretty unforgiveable.

So we shouldn't sign any PL striker over the age of 28 because they might turn out like Michael Owen did? I can see why you're hesitant to make the same mistake again, I agree with that, but we can't say no to Robbie Keane just because he might turn out like Owen - you have to take each player individually.

I'm not basing it entirely on age... he's a player that has always relied on speed AND is getting old AND doesn't get regular games. Even ignoring the Owen transfer he's still not someone I'd be confident in signing.

The fact we did have these problems with another player relatively recently only makes the move more inexplicable.

Who do you suggest instead?

Any of a number of younger, cheaper, physical, speed merchant.

We'd get more out of a (young) Piquionne-type player than someone like Keane, in my opinion.

That's arguably the problem though. Getting a striker unfamiliar with this league will require time to adapt not to mention the cost. I agree Keane's game does involve an element of reliance on pace but when it comes to finishing I'd say he still has it. He looked lethal in Scotland which still suggests there's a degree of quality of there to get 5-10 goals in this league.

We do need pace in the team, and players that are willing to use it unlike Routledge. If Ashley wants players who the club can develop and potentially sell on Dzusdzak is the man to go for no one else.

The question should be whether or not you want to sign him, as Redknapp has once again confirmed he isn't going out on loan just today. Also there are a few premiership clubs that want him and are more than willing to take him on a permanent deal.

What are your thoughts on him as a player? Disregarding your opinion on him as a bloke like. Also, what is the general opinion of him with other Spurs fans - are there any who think he should be playing for you instead of being sold?

you see there i disagree as i doubt theres many if any at all premier league clubs who are willing to pay for him, at least at spurs level of demands, the clubs allegedly interested are villa-doubt he'd go there as hes mates with dunne who can't have much good to say about houillier, birmingham-pay with what exactly theres been no evidence they have the cash required to pay for keane, west ham-can't afford him, wolves-probably can't afford him. Birmigham west ham and wolves all probably wanted a loan deal for keane.

Which is why I said it's a long shot at best. But the clubs willing to take him on a permanent deal aren't likely to pay what Spurs or Keane want either. Birmingham, Villa or West Ham aren't exactly flush with cash to throw around these days.

I'd take him, but i can't see us paying anywhere near what he's currently on.

He may well be past his best but his best was fucking superb, and even now he's probably light years ahead of lovenkrands and best.

I can recall one game at SJP a few years ago when he was simply unstopable. Somehow we managed to win the game, i think, but he was a one man show for them.

Guest kingdawson

What are your thoughts on him as a player? Disregarding your opinion on him as a bloke like. Also, what is the general opinion of him with other Spurs fans - are there any who think he should be playing for you instead of being sold?

Personally i don't rate him but it depends how you use him tbh. If you buy him then Pardew instructs him to drop deep, i promise you you'll have about 10 threads a week criticising Keane. He for some weird reason has it in his head that he can somehow link up play (which he can't). All he ends up doing is slowing up play and messing things up.

If however you play him as the furthest forward then i think he'll be a success. He's normally a clinical finisher and his 2 best seasons as a spurs player was when he was partnered with Sheringham and Berbatov (both times he played off the cb whilst his partner dropped deep). His injury record is normally very good and hasn't been injured much this season but there's no spurs fan that wants him to start that i know of.

Him and Caroll has the potential to be very potent indeed but it could also go tits up. Imo Pardew might have it in his head to play him deep and link play. If so then good luck with that but it will never ever ever ever work.

Personally i don't rate him but it depends how you use him tbh. If you buy him then Pardew instructs him to drop deep, i promise you you'll have about 10 threads a week criticising Keane. He for some weird reason has it in his head that he can somehow link up play (which he can't). All he ends up doing is slowing up play and messing things up.

If however you play him as the furthest forward then i think he'll be a success. He's normally a clinical finisher and his 2 best seasons as a spurs player was when he was partnered with Sheringham and Berbatov (both times he played off the cb whilst his partner dropped deep). His injury record is normally very good and hasn't been injured much this season but there's no spurs fan that wants him to start that i know of.

Him and Caroll has the potential to be very potent indeed but it could also go tits up. Imo Pardew might have it in his head to play him deep and link play. If so then good luck with that but it will never ever ever ever work.

Cheers. ;)

What we really need IMO is someone who can anticipate flick-ons and take up goalscoring positions for loose balls from knock downs etc (and hopefully through-balls if/when Ben Arfa is back) - can he play that role effectively?

Guest kingdawson

Cheers. ;)

What we really need is someone who can anticipate flick-ons and take up goalscoring positions for loose balls from knock downs etc (and hopefully through-balls if/when Ben Arfa is back) - can he play that role effectively?

Yeah he can (well he could). Only seen him a few times this season so can't really say for sure but does a striker really lose the ability to make clever runs? don't think so myself. As for his pace, i can honestly say i haven't noticed his pace deteriorating so that's a good sign as to whether or not he can play that role effectively.

Beckham is a proven professional that has a desire for football, who's talent is based around technical ability. Almost the complete opposite of Michael Owen.

He's also a 35 year old winger. So it's a yes to a guy who's best years are behind him, but no to Keane because his best years are behind him ???

Cheers. ;)

What we really need is someone who can anticipate flick-ons and take up goalscoring positions for loose balls from knock downs etc (and hopefully through-balls if/when Ben Arfa is back) - can he play that role effectively?

Yeah he can (well he could). Only seen him a few times this season so can't really say for sure but does a striker really lose the ability to make clever runs? don't think so myself. As for his pace, i can honestly say i haven't noticed his pace deteriorating so that's a good sign as to whether or not he can play that role effectively.

:thup: Finally some sense. And it's come from you of all people ;)

He's also a 35 year old winger. So it's a yes to a guy who's best years are behind him, but no to Keane because his best years are behind him ???

Don't see a massive difference tbh. Beckham is 35 but provides quality delivery. Keane is going downhill but still has a finishers instinct. Both are relying on others (Carroll) to justify their demand.

Daniel Sturridge is apparently unhappy at Chelsea - would be guaranteed first team football here - him and Carroll could be the new Shearer and Bellamy...

Was linked with a move a few days ago if I remember rightly.

I know he has an attitude but so did Bellamy. Sheer pace and Sheer power - would potentially be a lethal strikeforce.