Asian Cup 2011

oldtype

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gkoo5l0ZQJU/TAUzGnDFnGI/AAAAAAAAAt0/A-dFeVru9k4/s1600/2011_AFC_Asian_Cup_crest.png

The BIGGEST International Football Tournament of 2011! :dowie:

Group A: Qatar, Uzbekistan, Kuwait, China

The "evenly matched" Group

Group B: Japan, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Syria

The "three random Arab nations getting spanked by the Scum" Group

Group C: South Korea, Australia, Bahrain, India

The "Can India get out of this with better than -10 goal difference?" Group

Group D: North Korea, Iraq, Iran, UAE

The "Axis of Evil Reunion" Group

Will South Korea and Japan finally fulfill their potential?

Will one of the West-Asians once again cheat their way to victory?

Would you like to get one last look at Qatar before they rebuild the entire goddamn country from scratch?

TUNE INTO THE ASIAN CUP STARTING JANUARY 7TH!

:mackems:

....eh, just wanted to make a thread for the Asians/Aussies on the board to discuss the tournament and have some banter really. For the record, I think we're awesome and we'll batter all of you.

Ahh the last couple have been summer tournaments which is why I've never heard of players missing games for it before. Seems silly to move it to mid-season.

It's a one time thing because it's being held in (guess) Qatar

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Have to agree, but I think that's my snobbery showing. Really only know Japanese and Australian players, I can't see past those teams winning it. Again, that's simply an ignorant opinion. Who are the favourites?

Have to agree, but I think that's my snobbery showing. Really only know Japanese and Australian players, I can't see past those teams winning it. Again, that's simply an ignorant opinion. Who are the favourites?

Japan and Korea are runaway favorites on paper. Australia have actually been unimpressive lately.

Random Middle Eastern team always manages to win it though. Iraq won the last one, Saudi Arabia have reached the finals 6 out of the 7 times they've participated in the tournament and have won three of those.

It's going to be very interesting this year (well, about as interesting as an Asian tournament can be) because Japan and Korea will actually take it seriously, and the minnows have gotten a lot better. China has been building a great young team for the last couple of years, North Korea just keeps getting better... Even the Uzbeks have an outside chance.

I don't expect anyone outside of Asia to genuinely care, but I'm very excited. We haven't won the tournament in 51 years which is ridiculous.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

India? What they doing there? They're turboshit.

Wasn't Chopra supposed to start playing for them, but saw them lose like 18-0 or something and decided not to.  :lol:

India? What they doing there? They're turboshit.

They won the 2008 "AFC Challenge Cup" which is basically a charity competition for the 20 shittest teams in Asia which allows one of them to get direct qualification to the Asian Cup proper.

It's like the Intertoto only Asian and for national teams.

India overcame such powerhouses such as Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Myanmar to get their place.