Asian Cup 2011

oldtype

It irritates me how bad they are at football.

Twats.

No pitches, infrastructure, people that care enough. Best give them the world cup though.

1.3 billion people and not a professional standard player in site. Rubbish.

It'd be like asking why Americans are terrible at Cricket. They just don't play it.

Looking forward to how many we'll put past them :snod:

Twats.

No pitches, infrastructure, people that care enough. Best give them the world cup though.

It'd be like asking why Americans are terrible at Cricket. They just don't play it.

Not entirely correct, while cricket is obviously far ahead it's not as if football is simply not played. In certain regions Football is not far behind cricket in popularity and arguably even as popular. All schools across India actively play football.

For example in West Bengal football is as popular as cricket, and when you consider that West Bengal as a region has a population of over 90 million people it's shameful that they struggle to produce a player of even professional standard. The appetite for football is actually quite high, if I remember correctly the viewing figures for the likes of the Premier League dwarf that of the UK. It's simply that the infrastructure and organisation of local football is abysmal.

I also think somebody like Chopra (or Vikash Dhorasoo instead of having a handful of caps for France) would have been good for the game over there. Cricket having national icons like Tendulkar only drags further attention away from football and other sports. Having a player of professional quality might have helped to given kids somebody to identify with, but the Indian FA simply aren't going to have it apparently.

Comparing cricket's popularity in the US to football's in India is not really a great comparison at all.

Twats.

Not entirely correct, while cricket is obviously far ahead it's not as if football is simply not played. In certain regions Football is not far behind cricket in popularity and arguably even as popular. All schools across India actively play football.

For example in West Bengal football is as popular as cricket, and when you consider that West Bengal as a region has a population of over 90 million people it's shameful that they struggle to produce a player of even professional standard. The appetite for football is actually quite high, if I remember correctly the viewing figures for the likes of the Premier League dwarf that of the UK. It's simply that the infrastructure and organisation of local football is abysmal.

I also think somebody like Chopra (or Vikash Dhorasoo instead of having a handful of caps for France) would have been good for the game over there. Cricket having national icons like Tendulkar only drags further attention away from football and other sports. Having a player of professional quality might have helped to given kids somebody to identify with, but the Indian FA simply aren't going to have it apparently.

Comparing cricket's popularity in the US to football's in India is not really a great comparison at all.

Okay... umm... you're right and I'm wrong?

I don't mind being wrong, but I still don't get djmattis' jokes.

It was an anticlimactic debate though. I was expecting a response rather than just a white flag of defeat. Usually arguments on here go on and on until both posters cannot be bothered anymore  :lol:

I also did not entirely understand the picture, but I do think he was trying to be racist.

I don't mind being wrong, but I still don't get djmattis' jokes.

It was an anticlimactic debate though. I was expecting a response rather than just a white flag of defeat. Usually arguments on here go on and on until both posters cannot be bothered anymore  :lol:

I also did not entirely understand the picture, but I do think he was trying to be racist.

I suppose I should google up a pic of an alpine-skiing Viking communist as a retort?

Glad I didn't wake up early for that Australia/Korea game. Looks like I would've fallen back asleep anyway.

Well, that makes you wiser than me, because I DID stay up to watch it, and wish I didn't!

We make BSA's football look like Barcelona :( Gotta be happy with the draw though - I thought we would have gotten rolled...

Promising striker for Iran is Karim Ansarifard. 20 years old, Good speed and acceleration, decent height and build and has shown good close control and a good finish to put Iran ahead 1-0

Probably the most promising non EU based player i've seen at the Asian Cup.

It's a bit of a shame that a team of Iran's caliber feels the need to time-waste like that against the likes of North Korea.

Their style of play in general leaves alot to be desired. Though there were reports of a flu going through the team.

Promising striker for Iran is Karim Ansarifard. 20 years old, Good speed and acceleration, decent height and build and has shown good close control and a good finish to put Iran ahead 1-0

Probably the most promising non EU based player i've seen at the Asian Cup.

Agreed. He looked good as an all-action centre forward