David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To those who won't want to sign him.  What are the alternatives?  Because the amount of players available is going to be severely restricted in the 1st place.

alternatives are seb larsson, keeping barton outside and buying a central player or some newer tiote type unknown.

Seb Larsson isn't available, Bentley is.  Did you read the question ???

every player is available and i'd bet we'd get larsson for less than we'd buy bentley for and on lower wages.......don't you ?

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being s*** just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

Simple: sign players on the up who see Newcastle United as a step up in their career rather than players who are past their best who see Newcastle United as a nice final pay check where they will be welcomed based on past reputation. West Ham have been taking these sort of gambles for years, and look how well they are doing. Also, might as well point at us a few years ago..

Like Lovenkrands and Leon Best?

Aye, that's exactly it!

Keane is Owen Mk II, Bentley is Duff Mk II - it's ridiculous that players are cast aside as being s*** just because we've had bad dealings with older PL players in the past. So what we going to do, not sign anyone who's over the age of 25 and has had played in the PL for a number of years because they could flop?

This.  Sick of people saying we can't sign these types of players because it'll be a throwback to the past.  The fact is, if we are going to make progress going forward we are going have to sign these types of players in times like these.

People underestimating how vital PL experience is when you're trying to stay in the division. We sign two unknown foreigners in January and we'll struggle to stay up, because they need time to gel/adapt.

Our best player (arguably) this season so far has just come from the Dutch league. Last time we were in this division our best player (arguably) had just arrived from France (second division iirc).

Aye, and look at how he helped us to stay up. I'm not saying don't scout around for hidden talent and decent buys, but to completely ignore PL experience because we've had bad dealings with it in the past, is insane. And it's sure fire relegation.

I don't trust Pardew to steady the ship, and I think we'll be in the relegation battle by the end of January. Now with Bentley on the wing, and Keane upfront, I'd feel a hell of alot more confident in this side's ability to beat the drop, than I would if we played some 19 year old Swedish centre forward and a 23 year old Belgian.

This.  Sick of people saying we can't sign these types of players because it'll be a throwback to the past.  The fact is, if we are going to make progress going forward we are going have to sign these types of players in times like these.

People underestimating how vital PL experience is when you're trying to stay in the division. We sign two unknown foreigners in January and we'll struggle to stay up, because they need time to gel/adapt.

When we got Nolan and R.Taylor last time it worked a treat.

Aye, because Keane and Bentley aren't any better than those two.

Bentley was brilliant at both Norwich and Blackburn and he would have been a brilliant player to bring here when he went to Spurs.  Get the Bentley of 2 years ago and he'll be brilliant, get the one who has played for Spurs and he'll add very little, if anything.

Maybe he’s just not cut out to life in London as he didn’t set the world on fire when at Arsenal.  He’s done well when away from the place.  I'm not sure that he's worth the risk unless were bringing other players in.  If we're looking to bring in players to keep us in this division, I'm not sure he's the way to go because of his last 2 years.

Guest neesy111

To those who won't want to sign him.  What are the alternatives?  Because the amount of players available is going to be severely restricted in the 1st place.

alternatives are seb larsson, keeping barton outside and buying a central player or some newer tiote type unknown.

every player is available and i'd bet we'd get larsson for less than we'd buy bentley for and on lower wages.......don't you ?

Every player is available if your willing to pay 200% above the actual value of the player.  Seb Larsson turned us down under Keegan, so he's not exactly going to join us now.

How's Larsson not available? He'll be on a free in 6 months time, so I would wager he is very much available if the right offer came in..

Guest Heneage

How so?

Balas Dzusdzak and Nordin Amrabat are two wingers with their best years ahead of them and would be affordable. Sessengnon has been linked with a move here as has Legear. All four of those would offer us the pace we appear to lack as well.

How so?

Balas Dzusdzak and Nordin Amrabat are two wingers with their best years ahead of them and would be affordable. Sessengnon has been linked with a move here as has Legear. All four of those would offer us the pace we appear to lack as well.

Turkey bound..

Bentley was brilliant at both Norwich and Blackburn and he would have been a brilliant player to bring here when he went to Spurs.  Get the Bentley of 2 years ago and he'll be brilliant, get the one who has played for Spurs and he'll add very little, if anything.

Maybe he’s just not cut out to life in London as he didn’t set the world on fire when at Arsenal.  He’s done well when away from the place.  I'm not sure that he's worth the risk unless were bringing other players in.  If we're looking to bring in players to keep us in this division, I'm not sure he's the way to go because of his last 2 years.

I think Otter hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread ( :lol: ). He's lost in an Arsenal or a Spurs team, whereas at Blackburn he was the big fish in the small pond. It'll be similar if he comes here, and I can see him responding well to it. On a loan deal, he'd be perfect.

Every player is available if your willing to pay 200% above the actual value of the player.  Seb Larsson turned us down under Keegan, so he's not exactly going to join us now.

200% is that just a figure plucked out the air ? i'll bet we could get larsson for less than we'd spend on bentley.

Guest neesy111

How so?

We will not be signing anyone from abroad most likely in the situation we are in.  Also I think experience is what the club is after at this time.  Going forward they would be the best option, but I can't see Pardew trying to take risks on them tbh.

I think Otter hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread ( :lol: ). He's lost in an Arsenal or a Spurs team, whereas at Blackburn he was the big fish in the small pond. It'll be similar if he comes here, and I can see him responding well to it. On a loan deal, he'd be perfect.

In what universe are Newcastle United a small pond and in which dimension would the David Bentley off the past couple of seasons be a big fish here?

At the moment he is.

Guest neesy111

200% is that just a figure plucked out the air ? i'll bet we could get larsson for less than we'd spend on bentley.

Yeah, I'm sure birmingham are willing to sell one of their best players to a relegation rival.

Guest Heneage

How so?

We will not be signing anyone from abroad most likely in the situation we are in.  Also I think experience is what the club is after at this time.  Going forward they would be the best option, but I can't see Pardew trying to take risks on them tbh.

I will give you that on the first two as it's not been confirmed if we've scouted them, I'm speculating based on Tiote's signing.

The latter two however have been identified as players we've watched. The fact we watched Tiote for so long suggests we don't just drop interest when a manager changes.

Yeah, I'm sure birmingham are willing to sell one of their best players to a relegation rival.

one of their best ? we see it that way, they don't seem to.

How so?

:lol:

I would imagine an offer of 2 million would get him what with him walking away for free in a couple of months. How much would David Bentley cost? I'd say at least double that based on his reputation. Also, his wages at Spurs would be much, much higher I would have thought..

Guest neesy111

one of their best ? we see it that way, they don't seem to.

What the hell have you been reading.  Larsson has said he doesn't want to leave them.  Also he played again tonight, so I think it's 95% doubtful they are wanting to get rid of key player.  There has been nothing speculated that says Birmingham want to sell him.

Guest neesy111

I would imagine an offer of 2 million would get him what with him walking away for free in a couple of months. How much would David Bentley cost? I'd say at least double that based on his reputation. Also, his wages at Spurs would be much, much higher I would have thought..

Birmingham have said they are not selling him, and it was reported yesterday that he is close to signing a new contract.  So it's a non starter on that front.