Monument Mall

Guest Tall Striker

Nice to see the anti-Ashley boycott of his retail outlets has finally cost some folk their jobs . . . sorry, started to take effect.

Congrats to all those involved.

It would be Ashley's decision to shut the store. Funny that there's a Sports Direct store in the Mall selling NUFC shirts £20 cheaper.

So it's just because Sports Direct is upstairs, and nothing to do with the fact that we have another two stores (one of which is a megastore) in Newcastle, and two in the Metro Centre as well? It's extra money that needn't be spent. The staff will probably be moved to another store.

Any excuse to have a go :lol:

So it's just because Sports Direct is upstairs, and nothing to do with the fact that we have another two stores (one of which is a megastore) in Newcastle, and two in the Metro Centre as well? It's extra money that needn't be spent. The staff will probably be moved to another store.

Yeah, we all know how much you love Sports Direct. Give it a rest.

Yeah, we all know how much you love Sports Direct. Give it a rest.

People aren't spending money there, we have another four stores in and around the city - I really don't see what the big problem is.

Oh well, Ashley has a Sports Direct on the First Floor.

Since when was there a Sports Direct on the first floor? I haven't been since it was JJB - how long ago was that?! :lol:

:lol: I went shopping with the fella before Christmas for some trainers and we went in there, went upstairs, saw the Sports Direct logo and were like 'errr.. when the hell did that happen?!' Had a quick look anyway and it was full of tat as expected, so we moved on somewhere else.

Since when was there a Sports Direct on the first floor? I haven't been since it was JJB - how long ago was that?! :lol:

:lol: I went shopping with the fella before Christmas for some trainers and we went in there, went upstairs, saw the Sports Direct logo and were like 'errr.. when the hell did that happen?!' Had a quick look anyway and it was full of tat as expected, so we moved on somewhere else.

Does it still have that pointless fucking football court in the middle of the store?

Does it still have that pointless fucking football court in the middle of the store?

I didn't notice, actually. :lol: Used to randomly turn up there sometimes with my mates when we were younger but we were always scared of the charvs who would be hanging around.

Football court in the middle of the store? Reminds me of the old half basketball court, half football court that the JJB in Ipswich used to have :lol: Was awesome.

the one at gateshead team valley had both the fitba court and the basketball one. was class like  :thup:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure if that's your case, but most big clubs don't actually control their club stores directly, they are franchises operated by whoever you have sold your merchandising rights to (Nike in Barça's case for example, and I amusingly work for the company that operates Real Madrid's ones :lol:).

Since your owner already controls a sports chain he might have kept control of them, mind, but most big clubs don't.

Monument Mall is closing as the lease was up and the owners of the Mall seemingly had no interest in keeping NUFC there (plus lease prices were outrageous).

The Mall store used to be the biggest earner for NUFC but for various reasons is the one to go. Couple of staff have been moved elsewhere, most are being made redundant.

Store in the Metro Centre is closing for refurbishment and will reopen.

Btw they are all owned and run by the club, not franchisees as above

Monument Mall is closing as the lease was up and the owners of the Mall seemingly had no interest in keeping NUFC there (plus lease prices were outrageous).

The Mall store used to be the biggest earner for NUFC but for various reasons is the one to go. Couple of staff have been moved elsewhere, most are being made redundant.

Monument mall's management always surprises at how incapable they are of doing their job. The old Boots store has been empty for years with no one coming to an agreement for the place, the old Virgin Megastore (now Peacocks) took ages for them to get a tenant despite it having a main entrance on Northumberland street, that alone should have seen it snapped up within a month or so. I've recently heard that a few years ago they rejected the idea of turning the whole mall into a massive NEXT because they were "unsure".

The NUFC store in the mall has a weird layout, and isn't exactly huge, so I struggle to see anyone willing to snap it up fast, especially when they have a better layout store where Boots used to be thats been available for about 5 years.

So does that mean the Eldon Sq Northumberland st store will be the only one in the city centre apart from the ground .

So does that mean the Eldon Sq Northumberland st store will be the only one in the city centre apart from the ground .

Yeah but remember, most clubs only have one store, at the ground, some might have a city centre store. We will still have 3 stores within Tyneside.