Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

People were worried about how we would fare without Carroll. We scored 6 goals in 2 games.

Be positive lads and lasses.

Sunderland >Stevenage > West Ham though :lol:

Newcastle >Arsenal >  Sunderland though

Guest toonlass

Before we beat them 5-1 we got walloped by Arsenal in the League cup. Now we've been spanked in the FA Cup, is it a sign?

if tiote is out barton has to come inside with nolan. they are still weak in the midfield, no cattermole or meyler and we have the bite to boss them.

Are you sure mate? Surely Muntari and Sessegnon will be able to fill the void?

muntari hasn't played regularly and sessegnon will most likely play wide. (if indedd they get them and are thrown straight in), even better to have two new starters playing through the middle.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/01/09/tayl-of-injury-heartbreak-for-toon-defender-steven-taylor-102039-22835716/

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor out of north-east derby with Sunderland

Jan 9 2011 By Alan Oliver, The People

STEVEN TAYLOR has been ruled out of Sunday’s derby with Sunderland at The Stadium of Light with a thigh injury.

And Newcastle team-mate, striker Andy Carroll, is another doubt after being sent to Dubai to get over a similar problem.

Taylor, 24, admits: “I’m going to be out of the Sunderland game. I felt a tightness in the last few minutes before half time against West Ham on Wednesday night.

“We’ve had an unbelievable number of games over Christmas and I had just come back from a long spell out. I don’t know whether that has taken it’s toll.

“But it’s been great getting some games under my belt, especially the 5-0 win against West Ham, and we are up where we should be.

“But we all know how much Sunderland are hurting after our 5-1 win at St James’ Park.”

On Carroll’s injury, Toon boss Alan Pardew said: “He is coming back from Dubai on Wednesday. We’ll assess him then.”

Taylor also thanked new Geordie chief Pardew for saving his Newcastle career.

People Sport revealed last month one of the first things Pardew did when he took over from Chris Hughton was to tell Taylor he wanted him to stay.

And within a couple of weeks, the defender finally signed a new five-year contract. The Newcastle players made no secret of the fact they were unhappy at the sacking of Hughton, but former England Under-21 skipper Taylor added: “Everyone took to the new gaffer straight away.

“His training sessions have been good. They are different to what Chris Hughton was doing. He has got his own method.

“He got me in his office and told me he had signed a five-year deal, so he wanted me to do the same. I ‘m happy, as I want to be with Newcastle for the rest of my career.”

Taylor is disappointed not to have made the senior England set-up, adding: “It killed me playing in the Championship last year. But after relegation, I wanted to help Newcastle back into the Premier League.”

if tiote is out barton has to come inside with nolan. they are still weak in the midfield, no cattermole or meyler and we have the bite to boss them.

Are you sure mate? Surely Muntari and Sessegnon will be able to fill the void?

muntari hasn't played regularly and sessegnon will most likely play wide. (if indedd they get them and are thrown straight in), even better to have two new starters playing through the middle.

sorry mate, was just supposed to be a little dig at their arrogance. Seriously though, we will really struggle without tiote, especially at their place.

f***ing hell, Alan is delivering the blows tonight like the dirty, old minger.

I hope the entire team are f***ing better on Sunday than they were today (yesterday). :undecided:

Guest Chubby Jason

I see someone has raised the Colo in midfield nonsense yet again.

Colo centre-mid, Smith upfront I can sense another 5-1 victory with that formula.

I see someone has raised the Colo in midfield nonsense yet again.

Colo centre-mid, Smith upfront I can sense another 5-1 victory with that formula.

5-1 to the unwashed maybe.

Colo in central defence is a must.

Speculating is all well and good, but I can't personally see Pardew instituting any kind of meritocracy when it comes to team selection.

Talking of Vuckic/Gosling/Ferguson starting is a fun indulgence, but no more. Pardew will pick four of Barton, Nolan, Gutierrez, Smith, Routledge.

FWIW, my zany idea/indulgence would be to play Williamson as a DM as he usually plays fantastically on big occasions and his distribution is far better than you'd expect. :frantic:

You have to be :fishing: ? It's absolutely dreadful. :lol:

Guest VegasToon

Jesus fucking Christ! This is a depressing thread.  I don't care about one result and by no means does that predict how we will play next week.  I look forward to playing them.  The pressure is on them to embarrass us.  I said in another thread, if they do not score in the first 20 minutes, their fans will be all over them.  That will give us the advantage we need.  We score first, they buckle and we have have another 5-1 win.  THE PRESSURE IS ALL ON THEM! 

Jesus f***ing Christ! This is a depressing thread.  I don't care about one result and by no means does that predict how we will play next week.  I look forward to playing them.  The pressure is on them to embarrass us.  I said in another thread, if they do not score in the first 20 minutes, their fans will be all over them.  That will give us the advantage we need.  We score first, they buckle and we have have another 5-1 win.  THE PRESSURE IS ALL ON THEM! 

I wish it was that simple...

Most important person in this game is the kit-man; play in blue and we're doomed.

That blue kit has already registered a victory at the SoS.

A blue kit, not THIS blue kit.

Most important person in this game is the kit-man; play in blue and we're doomed.

Both played in home kit in October, no need for change

Probably because their away is white, we normally seem to play in away kits at their place yet they wear their home one at ours.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

You're all negetive bastards especially on the first page.

It was justa cup game we were never gonna win the cup anyway.

We're still going well in the league we've just won 2 huge matches against relegation struglers and I'm confident the players will be fired up for the sunderland game.

If we were able to beat them 5-1 a few months a go then belive me when I say "we can beat them again"

And we can beat them again.

Come on Newcastle United!!

That blue kit has already registered a victory at the SoS.

A blue kit, not THIS blue kit.

Both played in home kit in October, no need for change

Probably because their away is white, we normally seem to play in away kits at their place yet they wear their home one at ours.

Wore B&W last time there...