Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Delete the thread.  Can't bare to think about next weekend.

I'm 100% certain of a defeat.

Where's all the confidence?

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Delete the thread.  Can't bare to think about next weekend.

On RTG like last game

We will be fine man.

Delete the thread.  Can't bare to think about next weekend.

Gone with the imminent prospect of Tiote being suspended.

Much better title that, shame Margaret Mitchell is dead or I'm sure she'd use it.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=556575

And so, to the derby. Again, we start as under-dogs. Steve Bruce has been well-resourced for his time at Sunderland and invested the £50m over the last eighteen months made available to him wisely whilst at the same time utilised loan deals to strengthen his side. Sunderland’s long term commitment to youth development has yielded the impressive Jordan Henderson. There is no disguising the fact, Sunderland is a happy ship. They have a responsible and committed owner/benefactor in Ellis Short and the popular, admirable and articulate Niall Quinn represents Sunderland very well. Quinn is as comfortable sitting talking to rank and file supporters in a pub over a pint of the black stuff as he is it would appear with major dignitaries. Compare that situation to Ashley/Llambias. Sunderland are in the happy position of having good relationships between the boardroom and the terraces. Some of the adulation heaped upon Quinn (he’s on a £1m pa salary) has a childish naiveté about it, but there is no point in ignoring it, Sunderland has a happy, well-resourced, well-led set-up and Steve Bruce is taking his club forward, slowly but surely. Envious? Well, who wouldn’t be? But envy isn’t one way. I’ve no doubt Niall Quinn has clocked the attendances at SJP last season and this and scratched his head baffled at how his happy ship, making progress up the league and with ticketing prices cheaper than The Magpies, is pulling in fewer punters than the basket case from up the road. Recession? Well, that’s on Tyneside too and United’s attendances are achieved despite Ashley rather than because of him. Maybe that has been behind Quinn’s exhortations to Sunderland’s public (and remember Sunderland fans will tell you their potential catchment area for support stretches from the Tweed to the Tees, not to mention Bob Murray’s claim that Sunderland is the largest city between Leeds and Edinburgh) to get along to the SoS so he can help the club get to the “next level”. This is the strongest Sunderland set up I’ve known in almost 40 years following United and their success appears sustainable and sensible. Why, if they can afford it, as Quinn claims, “supporters” would rather sit in pubs watching home games around the corner from the SoS, getting pissed, than put their money into a well-run and ambitious club, only they can answer.

When we were relegated and looked to be likely to implode, we know people at Sunderland saw it as a great opportunity to spread their influence across the region, through new support and corporate custom. They anticipated huge commercial advantages to being the NE’s only PL club. It didn’t work out that way and the truth was their match-day revenue decreased without the income of a derby game, which is their biggest money-spinner of the season. Their fans may not have welcomed us back to the PL but their accountant certainly did.

Truth be told, there will be Sunderland fans at the SoS next Sunday who have not been there since the last time we were. “You’ve Only Come To See United” having a particular resonance on Wearside on derby day.

But next Sunday is all about the players. We can take the piss all we want out of the savannahs of empty pink seats all we want (outside of the derby) but the game will be won and lost on the pitch not in the stands or in the hopelessly inadequate SoS concourses.

We all realise the pressure is on Bruce’s expensive squad to take revenge for what many down the road consider an aberration at SJP on Halloween. For Sunderland fans, Newcastle United’s current playing staff is a raggy-arsed collection of misfits, worky-tickets and inadequates. They see the manager as a joke and Ashley as a Mackem wet dream come to life. Every Red & Whiter, with a well-rehearsed argument to support it, considers Sunderland the No.1 club in the NE and is desperate to rub our noses in the shite to prove it.

I have no doubt the atmosphere inside the SoS before KO will be white-hot as their hardcore welcome back their part-timers into what they hope will be a bear pit. They will attempt to make it as difficult as possible for our players and doubtless they will heap pressure upon the officials. I expect the first 10 minutes to be frenetic as they howl their team forward.

Sunderland fans expect, nay demand, their team to pummel us next Sunday and I have no doubt whatever team Steve Bruce puts out next week, drawing from the expensivel ranks of his squad, they will be fired up with a desperate thirst for revenge.

Will the underdogs from NE1 be able to cope with this onslaught? Who knows but one thing is certain, they will have the 100% backing of every Mag able to get his/her hand on a ticket for the away enclosure. We all know what this game means and there will be no let up in our support. I do not anticipate 70% of the away end to desert their posts as they did back in October in NE1. What United turns up is difficult to judge. Certainly, if the team turns up with the same attitude it did at Bolton, West Brom and Stevenage then we can expect a mauling but if the men we have in our ranks - Harper, Taylor, Tiote, Nolan, Barton, Ameobi, Carroll etc are all out there then I expect Sunderland will have to fight for everything they get and there will be no surrender from United.

“Once More Unto The Breach …..”

Guest Haris Vuckic
And so, to the derby. Again, we start as under-dogs

Eh? They thought they were going to utterly lash us last time!!!

Do any of our foreign posters know if the game is being shown in there country if so please post in here or PM me.

MANY THANKS

Overseas TV:

AD Sports HD3

C+ Urheilu

Fox Soccer Plus

Fox Sports 2 (Australia)

Fox Sports Basico

Fox Sports Premium

Nova Sport (Bul)

Setanta Sports (Canada)

Sky Sport 1 (Ger)

Sky Sport HD 2 (Ger)