FA reject unfair dismissal appeal from NUFC for Cheik Tiote

Crumpy Gunt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There isn't a chance it will get overturned.

Both feet off the floor, which basically means it was a sending off, Tiote's ban will stand.

Agreed, if the feet are off the floor, you are out of control.  Fair do's he won the ball, but if the other player had put in an unexpected burst of speed and been where the ball was, Tiote wouldn't have been able to avoid a potential leg breaking tackle because he was off the ground.  The ban will stand end of!

Mate at work is a ref, in his opinion there's a good chance it will be overturned or the ref will admit he got it wrong.

Just to give everyone a little hope before its taken away! :  )

Any idea when we will find out about the decision then?

Match reports will go in today. FA will read reports while NUFC will officially ask for a revue. FA will ask ref to look again (if he already hasn't) then its up to the ref to decide that he might have got it wrong and either downgrade or cancel. Or, he might just say he sticks with his decision.

Depends upon the honesty of the ref. Some accept they make mistakes and others don't. It should be decided by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest although we don't play again til Sunday so expect Friday at 5pm

How does this work?

We ask Marriner  to look at it again, he can admit he was wrong and overturn it, or tell us to fk off.

Or an FA panel will look at it and decide?

Surely its a panel or something, i doubt any refs would admit their own mistakes. Bastards.

If Marriner admits it was a mistake (not likely at all), then the red card will get rescinded.

If he doesn't admit it was a mistake (much more likely/nailed on), then we still have the right to appeal and a panel will decide whether or not we have a case.

I don't know what the rules are regarding dangerous play. If you get the ball, is it still considered as dangerous (in strictly 'rulebook' terms)? If it isn't - meaning, by the letter of the law, Tiote's challenge was legal - this is one of the few instances where i think the referees should allow common sense to veto a rule.

It was a ridiculous way to go in on the player, perilously close to causing serious damage, and definitely warranted a red card. Players shouldn't go in like that and it's about time it was cut out of the game. I'm still seething over the De Jong thing, which was just as reckless, so you can't really have double standards. Really annoyed with Cheick tbh. :undecided:

Speaking hypothetically here, yes it would still be considered dangerous play.

In the instance in which someone has used excessive force in order to take out an opponent or win the ball, it is irrelevant whether they won the ball or injured the player in question - if the referee deems it to be 'dangerous' or 'reckless' play then the player can be sent off. In these cases, it is the action which is being questioned, not the outcome.

It's the same with other challenges for free kicks - I didn't know until I actually studied the Laws of the Game myself that it's not just the outcome which referees focus on - for a foul, the book actually states "A direct free kick can be given for an opponent who trips, or attempts to trip, strikes, or attempts to strike, pushes, or attempts to push". The 'attempts to' highlights that you don't actually need to cause any damage or even make any contact with the player, it is simply an action which could be interpreted as dangerous or reckless play, hence why a player who both of his feet leave the ground, or lunges through the air in the challenge, would be dismissed rightly and fairly even if he won the ball. (again, talking generally, not Tiote.)

He didn't do any of those things he attempted to get the ball and got it.

Ok. Just completely ignore what I said then :lol:

Didn't really read your post.

Wonder what people would be saying if De Jong did that.

Cheik Tiote claims innocence after red card

Jan 10 2011 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHEIK TIOTE has claimed he is “totally innocent” after being red-carded in Newcastle United’s abysmal FA Cup exit at Stevenage.

The Ivory Coast international was anxiously waiting to see if United were going to appeal the dismissal by Andre Marriner following his two-footed tackle on John Ashton.

Television replays showed Tiote taking the ball from the Stevenage man before his team-mates surrounded the Premier League official, and the home dugout also protested furiously to Marriner before he flashed the red card.

Tiote could now miss Sunday’s crunch Tyne-Wear tussle with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light as well as clashes with Tottenham and the trip to Fulham at the start of next month.

But should an appeal be unsuccessful, a further one-game ban could be added to his suspension, meaning he would miss the home clash with Arsenal.

Alan Pardew said after the game he would appeal but the official line from United this morning was that they were now merely “considering an appeal” as tensions simmer down from Saturday night.

Tiote was keen to explain to supporters via the Chronicle, and feels Marriner got it wrong.

The tenacious midfielder said today: “For my red card, I didn’t think I touched the player, only the ball.

“Maybe the referee made a mistake, because I didn’t touch the player.

“I took the ball – I didn’t touch the player – and I don’t know why he gave me a red card, but this is football.”

Tiote was left crestfallen after the game, but felt for the Toon fans who had made the long trek to Broadhall Way.

He said: “I’m very disappointed about the result.

“But I’m really disappointed for the supporters, they travelled a long way.

“It’s bad for them, and I’m also disappointed about that.

“In a game like this, it’s difficult to play a team like Stevenage.”

Tiote was keen on an FA Cup run after joining United to fight for honours, and he added: “The pitch wasn’t good, and their motivation was 100%, because they’re playing against Newcastle.

“It’s not easy to play these games.

“We missed a big chance to go to the next round.

“The manager had good ambitions for this competition, and named a strong team.

“This is football – sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.”

However, Tiote was equally as cut up about the prospect of spending Sunday’s clash with Sunderland in the sin bin as the preparations for the battle at the Stadium of Light kicked off in sombre fashion.

He said: “The most important thing is the next game, and I want to play. Hopefully, the club can do something.

“We have to think about the next game. For me, it’s a very important game, and I don’t want to miss it.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/10/cheik-tiote-claims-innocence-after-red-card-72703-27959310/

Guest johnson293

If he/the club feel he did indeed win the ball, then they should appeal it.

Losing an appeal doesn't always mean an extra game ban will be added - that didn't happen to Williamson after his appeal of the ban he recieved after the incident at Bolton.

Only time I can remember an extra gamne being added (though I'm sure there are more) was when Sunderland appealed a red card, and an extra game was added as the appeal was deemed 'frivolous'... whatever that means in that context?!

He's already gonna miss the next 3 games if we don't appeal, so we may as well try and get it overturned.

EDIT: just remembered Williamson not red carded at Bolton, but done by video afterwards.