Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

2 sides to every story, but to suggest Darren B unsettled at #SAFC isn't true. But football is a market - & there are constant talks & ...

http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/nwUPT0Ad_0A/0.jpg

http://28.media.tumblr.com/JwYNF7j71qfeudooMAKHpLizo1_500.png

AWWWWW FOOTBALL FRIEND!!!

3. Villa are going to sell someone for a fairly large fee - my money is on either Ashley Young or Agbonlahor ; if Young, the likely destination is Liverpool or Spurs. Let's face it, Lerner wouldn't fund any more big transfers for MON without him raising cash first so the odds are that Houllier is in the same position.

Yes but your logic defeats itself frankly - do you honestly think that players who cost a big fee are going to accept lower wages than they could get at another club ? You are virtually saying that Lerner is trying to be like Ashley over wages , yet still pay big fees for top players...just won't happen until all clubs do it.

That's not true.

Lerner told MON to do something about the wage bill, not that he couldn't spend, as we had big earners, quite literally never getting used, not even making the bench.

Sidwell and Davies goign will cover Bent's wages, I imagine, more than, in fact.

I know for a fact that if MON had been given 18m to spend, he'd have spent it on Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle, plus McGeady to add to our wingers collection.

3. Villa are going to sell someone for a fairly large fee - my money is on either Ashley Young or Agbonlahor ; if Young, the likely destination is Liverpool or Spurs. Let's face it, Lerner wouldn't fund any more big transfers for MON without him raising cash first so the odds are that Houllier is in the same position.

That's not true.

Lerner told MON to do something about the wage bill, not that he couldn't spend, as we had big earners, quite literally never getting used, not even making the bench.

Sidwell and Davies goign will cover Bent's wages, I imagine, more than, in fact.

I know for a fact that if MON had been given 18m to spend, he'd have spent it on Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle, plus McGeady to add to our wingers collection.

Yes but your logic defeats itself frankly - do you honestly think that players who cost a big fee are going to accept lower wages than they could get at another club ? You are virtually saying that Lerner is trying to be like Ashley over wages , yet still pay big fees for top players...just won't happen until all clubs do it.

No, that's not what I am saying.

I am saying that Lerner pointed out the players on big contracts and big money who weren't getting used - that's the key part, not getting used.

Lerner's argument was that he doesn't mind paying out the money, but ideally we'd make sure the big money went to the right players - this is almost word for word what his right hand man said on our forums.

Last season we had Shorey, Sidwell, Davies, Beye, NRC not even getting onto the bench most weeks. I'm guessing their combined wage bill per week was 200k.

Lerner's approach was that he'd pay the big wages to the big name, but it is hard to make any remotely convincing business case for not moving on any of the above.

2 sides to every story, but to suggest Darren B unsettled at #SAFC isn't true. But football is a market - & there are constant talks & ...

So Bent isn't unsettled - but he's been there 18 months - asked for a transfer in the summer and done a runner to a team in the bottom 3 at the first opportunity.

Aye... alreet.........

It would be quite funny, if after all this talk and SMB meltdown, that the deal to Villa falls through, I heard on the radio this morning that Sun'lun are holding out for £20m minimum for Bent.

How could he return to the club after this if they fail to do a deal for him over the next 14 or so days?

Read on SMB that Bent is, apparently, a very sensitive man and takes personal critisism very badly.  After reading some of their comments about him today he must be suicidal.  I hope he isn't left on his own in that Birmingham hotel for too long...............

That's not true.

I am saying that Lerner pointed out the players on big contracts and big money who weren't getting used - that's the key part, not getting used.

Lerner's argument was that he doesn't mind paying out the money, but ideally we'd make sure the big money went to the right players - this is almost word for word what his right hand man said on our forums.

Last season we had Shorey, Sidwell, Davies, Beye, NRC not even getting onto the bench most weeks. I'm guessing their combined wage bill per week was 200k.

Lerner's approach was that he'd pay the big wages to the big name, but it is hard to make any remotely convincing business case for not moving on any of the above.

Lerner was being hailed by most of the people on this site as a dream owner. He backed O'Neill to the hilt, I thought MON was way out of order flouncing off because there wasn't enough money to spend. Not surprised he's pulled out of the West Ham move either. He seems like a right precious twat.

That's not true.

Yes, I can see what you are driving at, but the sad fact of life in the modern game is that ALL PL players expect big wages...it was bad enough in the 70s when Supermac was obviously getting paid more than most(perhaps all)of the other Newcastle players, but he used to justify it by saying 'I'm the guy that sticks the ball in the net' or words to that effect ; you can imagine how that went down with the likes on Moncur, Nattrass and Alan Kennedy, who went on to win top honours with Liverpool - team spirit was not all it should have been. It's the same today and there will always be resentment if one or two of the squad are

on megabucks and the rest on relative peanuts - which is what you seem to be saying that Lerner wants.

I appreciate his wish to get value for money, but in the mad world of PL football, VFM and players' expectations do NOT go hand in hand. You either accept the situation as the Top 4 do because they have the dosh to keep doing it, or you do as Ashley has done and try to keep everyone below a certain capped level. Any other approach simply means resentment in the squad and therefore, lack of success.

Ashley's approach also means lack of success for a while until you get a group who are happy with their lot, but that can only be done by bringing youngsters through - and eventually, they will get tempted away too.

The whole thing is a circus, but it can't go on because too many clubs can't afford it now - only Sky money keeps the charade on the road.

As for MON, he gave Villa a few good seasons and you guys should be grateful for that - as I recall, your fans exulted in our departure from the PL 2 years ago and you were only able to do that because MON had raised you from mediocrity just as KK did for us in the 90s. No manager makes perfect signings and KK also signed a few lemons but you won't find many NUFC fans dragging his time at the club down or citing things like scrapping the reserves/juniors which were detrimental to the club's future.

So Bent isn't unsettled - but he's been there 18 months - asked for a transfer in the summer and done a runner to a team in the bottom 3 at the first opportunity.

Aye... alreet.........

Exactly, it's bollocks man. The Sunderland fans and local journalists are looking for a villain and it isn't going to be the great Steve Bruce or Niall Quinn, so they've chosen Bent.

How the hell does Caulkin know that he wasn't unsettled? Or anyone for that matter. There's only person who truly knows that is Bent himself, and to suggest that he's going just for the money is ludicrous without knowing the full story.

He's been in poor form, being at Sunderland isn't all its cracked up to be, and if he really was going for the money, why would he choose a club where there is still a chance that they'll be asking him to take a pay cut/having to sell him in 6 months time if they go down.

That's not true.

Yes, I can see what you are driving at, but the sad fact of life in the modern game is that ALL PL players expect big wages...it was bad enough in the 70s when Supermac was obviously getting paid more than most(perhaps all)of the other Newcastle players, but he used to justify it by saying 'I'm the guy that sticks the ball in the net' or words to that effect ; you can imagine how that went down with the likes on Moncur, Nattrass and Alan Kennedy, who went on to win top honours with Liverpool - team spirit was not all it should have been. It's the same today and there will always be resentment if one or two of the squad are

on megabucks and the rest on relative peanuts - which is what you seem to be saying that Lerner wants.

I appreciate his wish to get value for money, but in the mad world of PL football, VFM and players' expectations do NOT go hand in hand. You either accept the situation as the Top 4 do because they have the dosh to keep doing it, or you do as Ashley has done and try to keep everyone below a certain capped level. Any other approach simply means resentment in the squad and therefore, lack of success.

Ashley's approach also means lack of success for a while until you get a group who are happy with their lot, but that can only be done by bringing youngsters through - and eventually, they will get tempted away too.

The whole thing is a circus, but it can't go on because too many clubs can't afford it now - only Sky money keeps the charade on the road.

As for MON, he gave Villa a few good seasons and you guys should be grateful for that - as I recall, your fans exulted in our departure from the PL 2 years ago and you were only able to do that because MON had raised you from mediocrity just as KK did for us in the 90s. No manager makes perfect signings and KK also signed a few lemons but you won't find many NUFC fans dragging his time at the club down or citing things like scrapping the reserves/juniors which were detrimental to the club's future.

You just don't get what he's saying at all. Just give up.

He's a right soft shite, it must be said.

There's been a suspicion of that from his Tottenham days. he always looked rank when picked for England. I think Sunderland have got a good deal to be doubling their money. Hopefully they'll waste it on Robbie Keane or Michael Owen.

Guest toonlass

SSN reckons about an hour away from the deal being announced.

They got a clock counting down and everything? ;)

Would think so, one hour til RTG melts down again!

That's not true.

You just don't get what he's saying at all. Just give up.

I do - you don't. Just because you decide player A is worth the higher wages doesn't mean player B is going to be happy about it. MON DID make some bad signings - so do all managers, but as long as the club does better overall than before that manager arrived, not many complain...did Villa do better after MON arrived as manager or not - yes or no ?

If you think I don't understand, why don't you let us have your interpretation of it ? Are you happy that Ashley' interferes' in team matters by setting a max wage ? I think that in time , he will be right, but it won't keep our best players in the current PL wage structure.

if one or two of the squad are

No, that is emphatically not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that all clubs have to do some wheeling and dealing and manage their club on a budget - for transfers AND for wages, and that is precisely what Lerner asked MON to do. I can not believe that - other than Mancini - there is another manager in the top flight who does not have to do that.

You're right, MON did well for us for a while - although i don't really see the relevance of your comment re your relegation, the fact you went down was nothing to do with us - but the fact is - and this is what gets lost - he *left* us, he wasn't sacked, he wasn't hounded out, he left us of his own volition.

To read people in the broadsheet press - not all, but most of them - like Barclay, Winter and Hayward - you would think he was sacked. He was not. He was asked to work on the wage bill, he said he would, he then didn't do anything about it, and decided five days before the start of the season that he wanted out.

For the last x months, the press have been telling everyone this is because Lerner pulled the transfer plug, which the club have consistently denied, and are now proving. The fact that MON decided he wasn't prepared to do something with getting the wages balance right is up to him, but it sticks in my craw to hear it suggested that, actually, it was the club's fault rather than his.

I suspect that, now that we have spent a lot of money - and don't forget, we spent 6 or 7m on Makoun last week and will almost certainly buy Adam this week - will not be sufficient proof for MON's media friends that, actually, the financial umbilical chord has not be cut and that they'll move on to "why didn\t they support MON like that? what idiots!" when, actually, we DID support him like that, massively. The club genuinely can not win.

....... MON DID make some bad signings - so do all managers, but as long as the club does better overall than before that manager arrived, not many complain...did Villa do better after MON arrived as manager or not - yes or no ?

I know that's not directed at me but the argument is a bit weak. Obviously if you spend an endless pot of money on better and better signings you will end up doing quite well. Does that mean Avram Grant is a better manager than MON because he finished higher in the league when he was manager at Chelsea?

'Dear darren, i am the one who abused you leathery monkey of a mother'

No wonder he left that club with supporters like that.

Is that for real?

Can you get done for online racial villificacation in the UK?

Failing that, post the link on Bent's Twitter...

'Dear darren, i am the one who abused you leathery monkey of a mother'

No wonder he left that club with supporters like that.

I've already hoyed some abuse the way of the twat who wrote that.

StanJames and Bet365 suspend betting on Bruce leaving the mackems.

Bruce is another one who doesn't really want to be at that shithole of a club. He was virtually begging to be considered for the England job this season.