Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

I bet this goes down a storm on RTG

Steve Bruce is not the man to criticise Darren Bent

19 January ~ Maybe Darren Bent did move for the money. Maybe being Sunderland's highest earner wasn't enough any more. Lest we forget, bigger and better strikers than Bent have kicked up a fuss and handed in transfer requests this season in order to bleed more money from their employers.

Although he won't publicly say so (or tweet in his case), Bent is entitled to defend himself against those who have claimed he is a mercenary who only joined Aston Villa for a bumper wage increase. And let's face it, even if he did join Villa for an extra zero on the end of his bank balance, he isn't the first and he certainly won't be the last.

Steve Bruce said he felts "let down" by Bent, but he knows a thing or two about going where the grass in greener. His first job as a manager was with Sheffield United, where he stayed for a grand total of one season before quitting due to a "lack of transfer funds". He lasted a similar amount of time at Huddersfield who accused him of "having an ego to feed".

Bruce's first stint at Wigan looked promising but he duly quit after just two months in charge to join Crystal Palace, where he stayed for a matter of months before walking out again to join Birmingham City.

At Birmingham, Bruce finally showed some loyalty – mainly due to the club's success – and got them promoted to the Premier League before staving off relegation the following campaign. But it wasn't long before his feet were twitching again and when Newcastle (his hometown club) came calling, it looked like Bruce would be off again. Birmingham owner David Sullivan eventually "priced him out of a move" but Bruce's desire was clear.

Bruce eventually left the Blues due to Carson Yeung taking over the club, and he joined Wigan for a second time. Naturally once Sunderland offered him the chance to ply his trade further up the league, Bruce upped and left. The fact that Bruce is a Geordie obviously didn't influence his decision when Sunderland presented him with a bigger and better contract.

Now obviously Bent has joined an out-of-form team in Villa, but he hasn't walked out on a club in the manner that Bruce has so many times before. Sunderland will receive up to £24 million for the striker, a profit of £14m on what they bought him for. Just don't show Bruce where the money is, or Sunderland may have seen the last of him too. James Dielhenn

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/6390/38/

This was my favourite:

I'm leaving Sunderland on my FIFA Be A Pro mode because I don't want to play alongside him, and there's no way they'd sell him. Despite me being captain. The bastard.

:lol:

:lol: FFS. Who's that guy that does all the Newcastle history books? Paul Joannou? He should branch out and just make an extensive book of thick things mackems say.

Aye...thats interesting...I fucking love Niall Quinn, when he leaves this earth I like to think God has reserved a seat next to him as his assistant! Not one better thing has happened to SAFC than that man. He needs a stand named after him a statue or something. What a fella

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=560731&page=5#ixzz1BUFm9KkU

Jeesus Christ.

Literally

turns out by the time they pay spurs theres nowt left for now...

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=560731

I've never really had a hatred for Quinn, always seemed a sound bloke despite his connections to the filth, but he's really irritating in that video :lol: And his hands look fucking ridiculously out of proportion to the rest of him!

I think I'm in love with that bird, though.

i love irish women! mind you it sounds like they're getting very little of that transfer money now.....they could definitely slide down the table soon.

of course he's worth £18m.....bearing in mind the transfer market we live in. a world where man city are going mental and getting milner and lescott for a £50m total. and bent is the guy that wins games, so £18m is a snip.

bothroyd or pavlyuchenko  :mackems:

Guest palnese

Villa statement:

Statement regarding Sunderland AFC's comments on Darren Bent transfer. We understand Sunderland Football Club's need to explain to their naturally disappointed supporters why Darren Bent has been allowed to leave their club.

It is disappointing, however, that Sunderland should try to besmirch the reputation of the player and Aston Villa Football Club in the process.

We wish to make clear that at no time did Aston Villa make an inappropriate approach to the player or unfairly compromise the business of Sunderland Football Club.

Darren only became aware of his possible transfer AFTER Sunderland's game against Newcastle on Sunday and AFTER we had agreed with Sunderland the essence of the deal which led quickly to Darren's arrival at Villa Park on Tuesday.

It is only because of some comments emanating from the Stadium of Light that we have felt compelled to respond and set the record straight.

It's funny even if rubbish, but found a big article on a website describing the Bent sale (after Jones in the summer) as 'The end of the Black Cats'. :lol:

could be the end of them this season tbh, while they have been given a large wad of cash its deceptive, as it currently stands they have 1 fit striker and should he get knackered or go out of form they're screwed as their midfield does not score goals. And who can they realisticlly buy who will score as many as bent? and anyone they bid for the club in question will see that large wad of cash weighing them down and would be glad to relieve the load. Lord help them if they try for a spurs player because levy will have all the bent cash and some extra they didn't know they had

Guest johnson293

Interesting to hear Quinn being so open about the details of the deal, fee/payments-wise.

However, could be a load of owld Blarney so they dont get hit by inflated fee's for their target(s).

Villa statement:

Statement regarding Sunderland AFC's comments on Darren Bent transfer. We understand Sunderland Football Club's need to explain to their naturally disappointed supporters why Darren Bent has been allowed to leave their club.

It is disappointing, however, that Sunderland should try to besmirch the reputation of the player and Aston Villa Football Club in the process.

We wish to make clear that at no time did Aston Villa make an inappropriate approach to the player or unfairly compromise the business of Sunderland Football Club.

Darren only became aware of his possible transfer AFTER Sunderland's game against Newcastle on Sunday and AFTER we had agreed with Sunderland the essence of the deal which led quickly to Darren's arrival at Villa Park on Tuesday.

It is only because of some comments emanating from the Stadium of Light that we have felt compelled to respond and set the record straight.

:spit:

re that statement from us.

That's clearly about Bruce's comments yesterday about DB having had his head turned a while back.

So if it turns out we'd been talking to them about Bent prior to Sunday - which we seem to be saying is the case - then I reckon there's a good chance Sunderland did the deal without telling Bruce it was happening.

If that's the case, that's a bit off.

Guest Thump 1892

It's a shame that Villa has already played their second game against the Mackem's.  I can't wait for next season to see the reaction to Bent in a Villa shirt.