Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

To those going on about our current position, we're one game away from 13th. Would this thread have appeared if we were 13th?

It's not impossible of course, but generally the cream rises to the top every season and even if belatedly, that will happen this year too. Top half come the end of the season would be great for our first season back.

So if we qualify we won't buy any new players to add depth to the squad?

I doubt we'd buy enough. We'd need at least 4/5 quality incomings and no outgoings to compete on all fronts.

We need that anyway if we're going to progress as a club. We'll get more money for the transfer WARCHEST and plus, as Kaizero mentions, actually being in Europe will attract good players to us.

To those going on about our current position, we're one game away from 13th. Would this thread have appeared if we were 13th?

It's not impossible of course, but generally the cream rises to the top every season and even if belatedly, that will happen this year too. Top half come the end of the season would be great for our first season back.

No. But we're not thirteenth, we're seventh, which will probably be a Waffa spot.

Don't want to qualify nor think we're capable of it.

We're not going to become one of those clubs are we?

What sort of clubs? Like has previously been said it ruin our season and we don't have the required strength in depth. I'd love to qualify in a couple years time if the squad's been sufficiently strengthened but definitely not this season.

I know, but I just hated it when people like Allardyce got Bolton into Europe, Hughes with Blackburn etc when they spent all season wanting to get into Europe, then once they got there, the following season treat the competition as a reserve league. Just thought we were better than that that's all. Probably not in reality.

Ah no! I used to love even being in the uefa cup but it would be counteractive to our progress at the minute.

Given that we'd have been 3 points off a potential European spot then why not?

Guest palnese

Look at our squad man.

W've got decent cover for GKs and Cbs, that's pretty much it. We don't stand a chance.

That's just not true. Forgetting how it happened, we've picked up two very good points from two difficult games - with numerous first teamers out. Not just first teamers, but our best players. If we keep this up, with players coming back - and there's also the potential of a big boost witih HBA - 'we don't stand a chance' just isn't the case. We've as much chance as Bolton, Stoke and Liverpool.

Fair point, I'll give you that. I just don't see it myself.

No. But we're not thirteenth, we're seventh, which will probably be a Waffa spot.

The point is that it's far too early to raise this question when week by week we could move six places in the league table.

The UEFA Cup runs of the last few years ended up being pointless in the long-run, but i love being in the competition. It's the only one we've got an actual (outside) chance of ever winning. Minus the occassional juicy upset, the domestic cups in this country are predictable as it gets.

So if we qualify we won't buy any new players to add depth to the squad?

I doubt we'd buy enough. We'd need at least 4/5 quality incomings and no outgoings to compete on all fronts.

We need that anyway if we're going to progress as a club. We'll get more money for the transfer WARCHEST and plus, as Kaizero mentions, actually being in Europe will attract good players to us.

We need them to progress but, we're unlikely to see them all in one transfer window which is why it'll be another year at least before we should concentrate on pushing for Europe.

The point is that it's far too early to raise this question when week by week we could move six places in the league table.

We've been in and around the European places now since we beat Sunderland tbf. We've dipped to upper bottom-half on one or two occasions, but on the whole we've been pretty solid 8th to 10th.

All I want this year is to stay up and improve our squad.  Anything else is just a bonus.

I'm of the same opinion, absolutely. That's the minimum of which we should allow. But Europe's a genuine possibility, that's all i'm saying.

What's for sure is that if, by chance, we do qualify - investment is absolutely essential or it'll either kill us in the league, or embarrass us in the competetition. Or, worst case scenario, both. People saying we don't have the squad for an additional campaign are absolutely right. We barely have one strong enough for just the league itself.

What's for sure is that if, by chance, we do qualify - investment is absolutely essential or it'll either kill us in the league, or embarrass us in the competetition. Or, worst case scenario, both. People saying we don't have the squad for an additional campaign are absolutely right. We barely have one strong enough for just the league itself.

A one-off no doubt but Fulham were relatively safe mid-table last year with a small squad and got to the Final. No doubt we'd sign a few in the summer to bulken up a bit.