Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Guest GallowgateKev

we can finish in 6th but lets be honest we probably wont, we have a decent squad but needs additions to consider going for europe. if we can keep our best players and improve on the weaker players than yes we could realistically look at europe.

So quite a few people on here have the opinion of..

Don't wanna qualify for Europe because our squad's not big enough

Don't wanna win the FA Cup because players might get injured

:lol: :lol:

Christ.

You've completely missed the point. All of us surely want Europe, its just that at this moment in time we simply wouldnt be able to cope and if its to the significant detriment to our league status then next season it would be a poisoned chalice. It's just a matter of finding our feet back in this league and establishing a bigger squad with more quality which hopefully in 3 or 4 years could make a challenge in the league and in Europe.

So quite a few people on here have the opinion of..

Don't wanna qualify for Europe because our squad's not big enough

Don't wanna win the FA Cup because players might get injured

:lol: :lol:

Christ.

You've completely missed the point. All of us surely want Europe, its just that at this moment in time we simply wouldnt be able to cope and if its to the significant detriment to our league status then next season it would be a poisoned chalice. It's just a matter of finding our feet back in this league and establishing a bigger squad with more quality which hopefully in 3 or 4 years could make a challenge in the league and in Europe.

But Fulham showed a couple of seasons back, and Liverpool have shown this year, that just because you've qualified for Europe doesn't mean you have to play the first team all the time.

Qualifying for Europe would be massive for the team and the club, and it would attract more money and more players. Even if we play the kids in the group stages and get knocked out, at least we're back on the big stage.

A return to Europe would certainly re-invigorate the club's appetite for it. I think in the last campaign, other than the exciting home game v Alkmaar, a lot of the home games were poorly attended and pretty soulless affairs. I think, as daft as it sounds, a lot of our fans had become a bit tired of European nights. Especially in the ludicrous new group format.

I'd say we've got a top 8 strength first team and lower mid-table strength squad (see recent results with key absentees). We'll undoubtedly be adding at least 3 in the summer to help make that an upper mid-table squad and European qualifying 1st XI.

Undoubtedly?  ???

Not sure about that like. Sincerely hope you're right but I've got my doubts personally.

Guest palnese

Fulham, Middlesbrough, Rangers and Celtic have all got to Uefa Cup finals in recent years.

Fulham and Middlesbrough struggled in the league though?

Fulham finished 12th and Boro 14th. Both in no danger of relegation. I'd take a good Europa League run and a similar position.

That then would be a one off, I would prefer to build up the squad and have enough strength in depth to qualify on a regular basis.  If it takes a little longer then so be it.  I don't think the Europa League even brings in much money so it wouldn't pay for an increase in squad depth or quality.

Would be lovely but we are not good enough to qualify. What gets me is that teams push for qualification and then treat the competition with contempt by fielding weakened teams. Our squad would be cruelly exposed in European competition. Should also be said that fans don't support European competition through the turnstiles.

Fulham finished 12th and Boro 14th. Both in no danger of relegation. I'd take a good Europa League run and a similar position.

That then would be a one off, I would prefer to build up the squad and have enough strength in depth to qualify on a regular basis.  If it takes a little longer then so be it.  I don't think the Europa League even brings in much money so it wouldn't pay for an increase in squad depth or quality.

So you wouldn't want to qualify for Europe because then you wouldn't qualify for Europe? ;)

Fulham qualifying for the EL was a freak result (they barely avoided relegation the year before), so I don't think it hurt their development as club. I really can't see how making the EL would hurt your growing and stabilisation.

So you wouldn't want to qualify for Europe because then you wouldn't qualify for Europe? ;)

Fulham qualifying for the EL was a freak result (they barely avoided relegation the year before), so I don't think it hurt their development as club. I really can't see how making the EL would hurt your growing and stabilisation.

We already have two domestic cups that get in the way of the league, we don't need another against teams that nobody will have heard of while our squad is so light.  I just think it’s pointless and something we're not ready to get involved with.

Qualifying for Europe means we finish in the top 6/7 in the PL. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want that, and the rewards that come with it.

What rewards have Villa had this season?

For every Villa, there's a Fulham.

Qualifying for Europe means we finish in the top 6/7 in the PL. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want that, and the rewards that come with it.

What rewards have Villa had this season?

More to do with O'Neill walking out on them and losing their best player Milner.