Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Aye. In terms of Europe next season would be no more than getting our name back out there but effectively used like the Carling Cup. Though that's how Fulham saw it pretty much until they reached the last 16. Seem to remember them playing reserve sides through the group stage and then once they looked safe in the league they had a go in Europe.

overall gotta be over the moon with this season.

but IF we'd got more from Blackpool, Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham, Stoke at home and hadnt condeded two injury time equalisers against scum n spuds...

Think that word is made for our club, tbh. That or 'why'.

and 'argh'

and 'fuck'

We have a tough run in

No chance

Safety is paramount

Why do you have no chance? Mid 50s could well see you get Europe this year, hell, low 50s even due to how strangely things have been going. You've got just as much a chance as everyone else really.

I think the key to this though is top 5 teams winning the 2 cups.

I'm becoming a tad selfish. Yesterday I was driving and heard that Irish cunt 'Paddy Power' tell Talksport that 'Newcastle were good for 5 minutes, now they're bad again.' I would love us to push on and shut these stupid wankers up.

Guest Stephen927

Don't see why we can't be a bit ambitious, the table is in such a way that a handful of teams could qualify for Europe. I think we'll settle into around 12th place by the seasons end.

European football next season could be a bit of a burden on the squad without some serious strengthening, could be more of a hindrance than owt else. Can't really resist the thought of a Fulham-esque adventure in the Europa League though.

The fact some people are even seriously discussing qualifying for Europe means we've had a fantastic season. Long way to go yet but the lads are surpassing my expectations. Just need to hope we've got the legs to keep it going. Getting Carroll, Tiote and Ben Arfa back at the right time could be fucking moohassive. :)

It's not something we need to think about, but then it's not something that people shouldn't be allowed to consider either.  No matter what our aims are, survival, mid-table, top half, Europe, what is required is the same - pick up points.  Let's just go in to every game trying to get whatever points we can and see where it gets us.  It's not like we need to totally change our battleplan to aim for Europe, is it, we don't have to make a choice about what we aim for.

After the Arsenal game we have decent list of fixtures. With Carroll, Tioté and Ben Arfa back we'll be even better. Still don't think it'll be enough for Europe, and tbh it's a bit like when Reading came up and Coppell was scared of qualifying for Europe. We're not ready for it and need to build a squad to cope with it first.