Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

Don't think Europe would be good for us next season, unless we bring in 3 or 4 good players.

don't buy all this europe is a distraction talk. If we want to keep the likes of enrique, Tiote and Ben Arfa, then we probably would need european football soon.

Europe would do more good than bad IMO.

Players are attracted by European football, it would give us a chance to build our name in Europe again and it would be a brilliant opportunity in the early rounds to give youngsters and fringe players proper run outs. Europe is better than the cup if we've no chance of winning anything.

Europe would do more good than bad IMO.

Players are attracted by European football, it would give us a chance to build our name in Europe again and it would be a brilliant opportunity in the early rounds to give youngsters and fringe players proper run outs. Europe is better than the cup if we've no chance of winning anything.

Exactly. It's more likely to keep our top players as well as attract good players.

Here's an intriguing HYPOTHETICAL yet realistic question.

Would you want the Domestic cup(s) to be won by the top 5  meaning there will be a EL spot for 6th or maybe 7th.

Meaning we may well get in the EL in our current league position, but whatever happens with us Sunderland most definitely will get into Europe for the first time since whenever...

Or (two) side(s) who aren't in the top 5 to win the trophies meaning Sunderland will definitely not get into Europe. But means we also will not.

This is hypothetical so don't bring small minded buffoon into the equation.

Again would take us succeeding over them failing every day. I'd prefer them not to qualify just on the basis that the fact they've never been really winds them up I think (and mackem in Milan would be made redundant) but, other than that not arsed.

Any qualification for Europe this season would dramatically shorten our relegation odds for next year.

Its simply not something we need at this stage of our rebuilding.

Any qualification for Europe this season would dramatically shorten our relegation odds for next year.

Ipswich-tastic.

Dont get me wrong, I love European trips and long term it has to be a realistic aim. Next season though it wouldnt be ideal given the small squad (which lets be honest, is unlikely to be hugely expanded in the short term by Ashley, Europe or no Europe) which is currently showing signs of being very stretched with a Premier League campaign and only a handful of cup games.

Ipswich-tastic.

Dont get me wrong, I love European trips and long term it has to be a realistic aim. Next season though it wouldnt be ideal given the small squad (which lets be honest, is unlikely to be hugely expanded in the short term by Ashley, Europe or no Europe) which is currently showing signs of being very stretched with a Premier League campaign and only a handful of cup games.

We need to be aware of 'second season syndrome'. :nods:

Europe would be fantastic but we need a bigger, better squad so we can establish ourselves in the PL again. Just a case of walking before we can run. Long term, the club should be aiming for Europe every year once we get ourselves sorted out.

Not sure why people are comparing us to Ipswich and Reading mind, our team and squad is far better. 

In terms of quality players, we are still very light. Yesterday's matchday squad showed that. The Europa League tosses in realistically another 8 or 10 games at least. As is stands, we dont have the players to cope with all those extra games.